National Park Service seeking hunters to "thin bison herd"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 656627001/
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The National Park Service plans to thin a herd of bison in the Grand Canyon through roundups and by seeking volunteers who are physically fit and proficient with a gun to kill the animals that increasingly are damaging park resources.

Some bison would be shipped out of the area and others legally hunted in the adjacent forest. Within the Grand Canyon, shooters would be selected through a lottery to help bring the number of bison roaming the far northern reaches of the park to no more than 200 within three to five years.

About 600 of the animals now live in the region, and biologists say the bison numbers could hit 1,500 within 10 years if left uncontrolled.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: National Park Service seeking hunters to "thin bison her

volunteers to be capable of hiking eight miles a day, carrying a 60-pound pack and hitting a paper plate 200 yards away five times.
Hey, but Teddy Roosevelt didn't have to huff a 60 pound pack for eight miles. Do they supply the rifle and rounds?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Now that we've killed off most of the predators, all's that's left is us. Can't have ten million bison stampeding through Tucson, now, can we?

To make it fair, I say the hunt should be done with bow and arrow from horseback. There are some pretty gnarly bows on the market nowadays. The horses get to wear armor, but the hunters do not. Cover it on live TV. Pay per view would clean up. Rollerball...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Successful hunters will do a lot of hauling to get all that meat out. A pack train of horses seems necessary for that.

I'm not sure if there is much challenge to hunting them otherwise, since I recall their instinctive response to a threat is to circle into a herd and stand their ground.

It does seem like a fun opportunity for a re-enactment of various Native and European-American historical harvesting techniques. A filmmaker could do something interesting with that..Except for the shooting from the train method and leaving them to rot on the prairie...

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Bisbee wrote:
volunteers to be capable of hiking eight miles a day, carrying a 60-pound pack and hitting a paper plate 200 yards away five times.
Hey, but Teddy Roosevelt didn't have to huff a 60 pound pack for eight miles. Do they supply the rifle and rounds?
Is no one yet making a battery powered ATV? If batteries can pull (or push) an automobile 200 miles or so, surely they can run an ATV with trailer 20 miles...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Re: National Park Service seeking hunters to

rascally wrote:
Bisbee wrote:
Is no one yet making a battery powered ATV? If batteries can pull (or push) an automobile 200 miles or so, surely they can run an ATV with trailer 20 miles...
What? Drive 8 miles...hit a target 5 times at 60 yards and bring 200 paper plates, and a pack? I'll bring a grill and utensils then! :sarcasm:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

CDFingers wrote:Now that we've killed off most of the predators, all's that's left is us. Can't have ten million bison stampeding through Tucson, now, can we?

To make it fair, I say the hunt should be done with bow and arrow from horseback. There are some pretty gnarly bows on the market nowadays. The horses get to wear armor, but the hunters do not. Cover it on live TV. Pay per view would clean up. Rollerball...

CDFingers
I'll stick with my Sharps.
I would rather see some of these Majestic beasts relocated but it is way more expensive then haven a hunter pay for the right to take one of them.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!