Re: Season Opener!

Is that a Mosin carbine? The cartridges look a little small in the photo to be 7.62x54R.

I'm off to the mountains this weekend for some deer tracking that hopefully yields a deer harvest. It's not anywhere near opening day, but I feel safer in the woods when it is not.

Best of luck!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

TinkerPearce wrote:

Deer season opens saturday in Washington state, and at first light I'll be in a blind at one end of the Deer Superhighway. Getting the gear together...Yes, the clips will only have five live rounds in them. Now to get the boots taken care of, sound-cancelling headphones, thermals etc...
I AM confused! The picture has both clips with 6 rounds....what am I missing?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

drigeba wrote:Is that a Mosin carbine? The cartridges look a little small in the photo to be 7.62x54R.
i suspect it's a mannlicher.
some places restrict hunting rifles to 5 rounds. it's a problem if you're using a garand, as the en-bloc clips are a hassle with less than the full load of 8. they make special 5-round clips for just such a reason.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

drigeba wrote:Is that a Mosin carbine? The cartridges look a little small in the photo to be 7.62x54R.

I'm off to the mountains this weekend for some deer tracking that hopefully yields a deer harvest. It's not anywhere near opening day, but I feel safer in the woods when it is not.

Best of luck!
Thanks! The rifle is a modified M38 7.35mm Carcano. It had been crudely 'sporterized' and was in pretty bad shape when I inherited it from my Uncle Jim and a friend dropped off a big chunk of walnut so I made a new stock for it (I've always fancied a Mannlicher Carbine) and shortened the barrel from 21" to 16-1/2". then refinished all of the metal. Makes a nice little 100-yard gun, and since I'm not going to get a shot past about 50 yards where I am hunting. Energy is about on-par with a .30-30.

And yes, Washington state only allows 5 rounds in the rifle.
"Aim for their foil beanies! It's the only way to be sure..."
https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/michael.t.pearce.7

lurker wrote:
i suspect it's a mannlicher.
some places restrict hunting rifles to 5 rounds. it's a problem if you're using a garand, as the en-bloc clips are a hassle with less than the full load of 8. they make special 5-round clips for just such a reason.
Thanks! I know almost nothing about hunting except you don't hunt at night or near houses. I had a boss in NC who got ticketed for "Fire-lightin'" (spot-lighting) when he shot at a deer jumping in front of his pick-up.

I once found an expensive, aluminum-shafted hunting arrow embedded in the back of my shed, less than 100' from my house. Some asshole violated a half-dozen laws, including trespassing on posted land (not mine). That was when we lived in what passes for mountains in NJ, 4 acre lots, lots of woods and wildlife, including black bears. Some summer camps were up there, too, and a nearby ski slope. Beautiful area, beautiful house, it was a total money pit, and too damn far from everything...nearest supermarket was 10 miles away!

Just out of curiosity, wasn't Oswald's mail-order rifle he used to shoot JFK a Mannlicher?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Oswald's rifle was a Carcano similar to this one. Mannlichers are a different brand used by Greeks and Serbs.. This is an Italian Rifle...Carcano's have a unique feature called "gain rifling" the rifling twist get faster as the bullet goes up the barrel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9752mm_Carcano. Mannlicher's have different unique features// rotary magazines and a straight pull bolt system not unlike the Swiss Schmidt Rubin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannliche ... C3%B6nauer
If you have cut down the barrel, the bullet will be spinning somewhat slower than from an "as issued" length barrel.. on top of that, and for some reason unbeknownst to even the Goddess ..some commercial ammo seems to have undersized bullets.. further aggravating bullet stability issues.. Commercial ammo.. even at a proper length barrel and therefore the designed twist rate leaving the barrel tends to keyhole at even the slightest interference , like shooting thru brush. Some say this is a plus because a tumbling bullet in a body is supposed to be more lethal or make a bigger mess of something.. could be good in war.. may be a negative when it comes to meat.. fragments .. odd wound tracks .. If you get your deer, good hunting btw, and decide to post an after action report, please keep an eye out for weird internal ballistics effects TIA

The rate of twist to stabilize the bullet depends on the length of the bullet in relation to it's diameter .. although, because for any given diameter, all things being equal, a longer bullet is heavier.. for some reason twist rate is usually expressed in relation to bullet weight

Actually the Carcano is a copy of the Mannlicher bolt-action rifle. One of the reasons the Italians decided to change to the 7.35x51mm Carcano was that the 6.5mm was 'too stable' and tended to make 'icepick' wounds that produced relatively little damage. One of the changes to the rifle was that it used less expensive conventional constant-rate rifling. At the dawn of WW2 however they found that they were not yet ready to switch; they had relatively few M38 rifles ready and their stocks of 6.5mm rifles and ammo were huge. Rather than 'switch horses mid-stream' they elected to stick with the 6.5mm. The 7.35mm was issued to some police and reserve units, but the bulk of them were sold to Finland. The The Fins disliked the rifle, less because of any feature of the gun than because it used a different caliber than their standard rifles. Logistic difficulties made it hard to keep them fed in the field and soldiers could not share ammo among themselves.

Ammo for this weapon is problematic; the ammunition is only available in one load from one manufacturer or as a custom reload. The stuff that I have was all purchased with the rifle and is either spire-point FMJ or round-nose soft-points. As a bonus it is all packaged in factory clips, which are now rather rare. All of the ammo that I have is Berdan-primed, and the bullets are true .30 Caliber- .299-.300" rather than .308" like most '.30s' which further complicates reloading. Fortunately reloading dies and boxer-primed brass is available, and bullets (though selection is limited.) As I start reloading this cartridge I may look into swaging conventional .308 bullets to .300".

Accuracy on the range has been acceptable; from the bench I can (as noted above) shoot 1" groups at fifty yards with the iron sights. Since one of the reasons the Italians had planned to switch to the 7.35mm is that it was felt it would have better terminal ballistics. I'll be very interested to see if and how that is expressed in real life.

So- opening day score: Deer 1, Hunter 0, Goat -1

We did not shoot a deer today, though the traditional 'Taunting Deer' put in the obligatory appearance while we were running to the store for ice. It doesn't seem like people had much luck today- we heard only a single gunshot in the far distance at about 8AM and nothing the rest of the day.

I did make a perfect head-shot- straight through the Medula Oblangata- dropped the critter in it's tracks. But it wasn't a deer...

Joanne, the property owner, keeps goats and has too many males in the herd so she planned to have some slaughtered this fall. The cost of that eats pretty seriously into the meat though so she wanted to learn how to do it herself. Dressing, skinning and butchering a deer is pretty much the same as a goat, so the deal was we'd show her how in exchange for 1/2 the goat.
So no deer, but we still came home with a cooler full of meat. Good day after all.