another opener thread

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Mason, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

another opener thread

Post by eelj »

I will be walking out the door in an hour, just a 100 yd stalk into woods behind my house. If I get one since I still have all of my canning equipment out in the kitchen I will be processing canned venison in less than a week.

This year is a hunters choice season, so if I see a doe it's down, this could be my last season for hunting with my old Springfield.

The weather is perfect, fresh snow plus more to come and this afternoon turning to rain, deer move in those conditions plus the woods are quiet.

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: another opener thread

Post by HuckleberryFun »

Good luck, eelj. Good hunting!
ImageImage
I’m not your Sherpa, so find your own way and carry your own baggage.

dougb
Loquacious

Post by dougb »

You may have a little snow to work with. Good luck. Don't forget the joys of venison sausage. If you have a good butcher shop, the frequently will make and stuff sausage for you-they can even provide the pork fat.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Go git em!

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by eelj »

The most interesting experience today was the owl that I listened to before sunrise. Didn't even see any finches or jays, just a few ravens and they weren't very happy with no piles of offal to feed on. Very wet and sloppy by 1000hours, actually saw a little spider walking across the snow, no sign of the rut.

It's a long season.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

Well, if you're going out to shoot Bambi don't forget your favorite adult beverage to keep warm. But not too much. :)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by eelj »

highdesert wrote:Well, if you're going out to shoot Bambi don't forget your favorite adult beverage to keep warm. But not too much. :)
Naw, never drank on the job either.

Gunnutandproud
Helpful Contributor

Post by Gunnutandproud »

Nothing impressive, but I shot a decent bodied spike buck. The meat is already in the freezer, and now it’s time for Operation: “End my Boyfriend’s vegetarian diet” (title is still a WIP) :)

He’s impressed at the fact that I’m not a girl who’s grossed out about cleaning a deer lol