Re: Skinned my first game...

You'd have to have a damned infestation on your property to bag enough at once to make stew. That or be on 40 acres (with acorn trees).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:Well, came home early to make time for a little creative cooking before Kendo practice tonight.

The pictures (in order) are: 1) Browned all pieces on all sides on high heat and oil; 2) Added potatoes and tomatoes with some salt and garlic on top, brought to boil on high heat then turned down to simmer for about an hour and 15 min; 3) Voilà!

I put three meaty pieces atop a bed or white rice with some potatoes, sauce and a soft-boiled egg on the side (can't eat too much before practice). It tasted very, very good! For not adding any other flavoring while cooking and dumping the marinade itself, the flavor of Italian seasoning and vinegar worked really well and carried all the way into the potatoes.

Squirrel meat was quite soft for that amount of cooking time, not chewy at all. I'm the kind that prefers dark meat on chicken so the squirrel meat's flavor was quite good. Good enough that I would consider shooting some more "limb chicken" to make this dish again, share with family members at the next pot-luck gathering!

Success! :thumbup:
That looks tasty.

I had a boss back in NC, building houses, who tried to shoot a pair of fighting bull squirrels off a tree with a Senco framing nail gun. Broke the gun which really pissed of his partner who had to cannibalize the other gun, already needing repairs, in order to get it running again!
:roflmao:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Eris wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 pm Coming into this late, but I'm curious: where does one go to hunt squirrels? I live in a suburban area, so no hunting around here for me - the neighbors wouldn't like it.
I have squirrels that come into my yard, they get a pass. I live in a very rural environment and can hunt and shoot anywhere on my property. I restrict that behavior to the "woods".

I'm guessing you will need to go to the same place that you would hunt any small game animal. Public use forested land where hunting is allowed and has enough nut bearing trees to support a population of squirrels.

If you learn how to skin them properly some fur buyers will pay a buck and a half for the hides.

eelj wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 am
Eris wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 pm Coming into this late, but I'm curious: where does one go to hunt squirrels? I live in a suburban area, so no hunting around here for me - the neighbors wouldn't like it.
I have squirrels that come into my yard, they get a pass. I live in a very rural environment and can hunt and shoot anywhere on my property. I restrict that behavior to the "woods".

I'm guessing you will need to go to the same place that you would hunt any small game animal. Public use forested land where hunting is allowed and has enough nut bearing trees to support a population of squirrels.

If you learn how to skin them properly some fur buyers will pay a buck and a half for the hides.
Not much public land in Texas. There is the Sam Houston National Forest, and from what I read last night they do allow hunting of squirrels year round, though I don't know how many squirrels actually live there - I think it's mostly pines.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

One warning about shooting squirrels--don't shoot them out of trees. It makes it really hard to know what is behind the target if you miss.

I've never shot squirrels but bagged my fair share of rats with a pellet gun when I was a kid. The grandparents didn't like them running across the wires or in their bamboo. It was a fun summer of blasting! (needless to say, I didn't skin them or eat them)

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm One warning about shooting squirrels--don't shoot them out of trees. It makes it really hard to know what is behind the target if you miss.

I've never shot squirrels but bagged my fair share of rats with a pellet gun when I was a kid. The grandparents didn't like them running across the wires or in their bamboo. It was a fun summer of blasting! (needless to say, I didn't skin them or eat them)
I was reading about squirrel hunting in Texas last night. Apparently it used to be even more popular than deer hunting, and the preferred method is to use a shotgun, and shooting them from trees is normal. If I get into it I might see if I can go to one of the "squirrel camps" where people gather to hunt and socialize.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:35 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm One warning about shooting squirrels--don't shoot them out of trees. It makes it really hard to know what is behind the target if you miss.

I was reading about squirrel hunting in Texas last night. Apparently it used to be even more popular than deer hunting, and the preferred method is to use a shotgun, and shooting them from trees is normal. If I get into it I might see if I can go to one of the "squirrel camps" where people gather to hunt and socialize.
Shotgun with bird shot would be ok as long as you're not close to people/property. Rifle? Not so much. The 22 can go a long ways at that trajectory!
A squirrel camp sounds ridiculously fun, even if I didn't hunt any squirrels. :lol: