Invited to a coyote hunt and a prairiedog shoot

I've been hankering for a rifle and these two events may be the tipping point I need to spend money that I could really use for other things on a gun. I was hoping that I could get one rifle that would work for both hunts, but the size difference between the two give me pause. I want pelts from both, I've been curious about leatherwork for over a decade and I think it might be more fun to make my own leather, too. If I get and AR that shoots 5.56 .223, will the 5.56 take down coyotes without suffering? Will the .223 eliminate prariedogs without exploding them?

I did a quick Google search, and the nutjobs at Field & Stream had this to say about prairiedogs:
My lifetime favorite has been the .220 Swift though because the blazing speed at 4,100 fps was just fun. For shots inside 100 yards, you see the prairie dog blow apart in your scope before the recoil moves it off target.
Maybe it's newagey of me, but I think if you kill a living animal you should have some respect for the value of its life. Killing something just to let it rot in a field isn't very useful. I have all kinds of ideas for coyote pelts, but I could make wallets and stuff out of prairiedogs, and maybe keep a carcass or two and make some sausage or something. Blowing them to bits isn't what I have in mind.

Edit: I feel like I rambled here. If it's not clear, I'm wondering if there is a rifle that will kill both coyotes and prairiedogs cleanly and leave them in harvestable condition.

Re: Invited to a coyote hunt and a prairiedog shoot

They do. Sounds like they might also be tasty, which is why Coyotes have a hankering for them:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... nic-plague

That said, wear gloves and check for fleas- no need to catch the plague.

Also worth noting, leaving the prairie dogs or the Coyotes for that matter isn't a total waste- buzzards and other scavengers will likely eat what you leave. Lead free ammo might be worth doing so as to not poison the carrion eaters.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I’d think you’d want a varmint round for the cute little fellers. Anything heavier sounds like exploding. The little guys don’t get past 3 pounds so not a lot of mass to take up heavier ballistics.

Never shot one. Just my nickel based on the size of the critters.

I don’t see why a 223 couldn’t take a coyote humanly. The take wild boars, so i assume that would be sufficient. But not done that either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shinzen wrote:They do. Sounds like they might also be tasty, which is why Coyotes have a hankering for them:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... nic-plague

That said, wear gloves and check for fleas- no need to catch the plague.

Also worth noting, leaving the prairie dogs or the Coyotes for that matter isn't a total waste- buzzards and other scavengers will likely eat what you leave. Lead free ammo might be worth doing so as to not poison the carrion eaters.
The state will pay $50 per coyote you bring in and let you keep the hides, so I'll be turning in the carcasses and keeping the skins.

Inquizitor, what kind of varmint round could you recommend? I was thinking .22 for prairiedogs, but then I'd have to buy two guns and I don't really have the funds for that.

Marlene wrote:223 for both.

The deal with prariedogs is that most calibers that don't tear them up can't shoot accurately enough at the distances you need to hit them from. They're skittish buggers.
I see. Will the .223 not tear them up, or are prairiedogs burst into gibs the only reasonable option for the typical shooter?
Bucolic wrote:As Shinz said, do be careful of fleas. According to my colleague in Flagstaff, Northern Arizona saw an uptick (no pun intended) in plague this year. Not sure about other locales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To be fair, northern Arizona has a small plague outbreak every 10 years or so.

But I might just leave them in their holes unless I happen to shoot one up close.

Not speaking from experience, but I'd bet the 40gr 223 varmint rounds is what Quiz was referring to- at distance they'd likely do the least amount of damage to the meat. With a 22 you're likely not going to get too many of them, as Marlene points out, they are skittish, so you'll probably be shooting them at over 100 yards- not ideal for a 22.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

So at prairiedog distances shooting .223, is barrel length a major consideration? Most of the ARs I see have 16" barrels. Entry level guns seem to start at $700, though there are a handful that are lower. I can get one of these for a little less than $750, and it has a 24" barrel. It's kind of a heavy bastard though.

I don't know how much hunting I'm going to do in my life though, so my next thought is what will be good for target shooting? Is the DPMS a good gun? Is it a good gun for the price?

Interesting thread. Since I live in northern Arizona I'm concerned about prairie dogs and fleas but I heard on the local NPR station KNAU that the Arizona Game and Fish Department is partnering with Northern Arizona University to inoculate prairie dogs with a plague vaccine that is put in peanut butter balls.

I go out locally to hunt coyotes, both calling and road hunting. My knowledge of ballistics tells me that bigger and slower bullets are better if you want to save the fur. I use an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel for coyote hunting if I'm calling and I'm going to try my TC Contender in .30 Herrett or 7 TCU for road hunting to get a quick shot off without crashing my Side X Side. I want to use my Contender in handgun mode with the Super 14" barrel

Marlene makes a good point about accuracy. The standard for a basic military rifle is 4 MOA- I'd guess that a lower end AR would probably be in that neighborhood- possibly better if you get one with a free floating handguard. The 527 is a terrific option, I love mine, and there are others out there as well. You'll also need to figure out optics.
- Maya Angelou

Savage Hog Hunter comes in 5.56 and has a heavy barrel and oversized bolt...great for all-day shootin'.

I think .223 is a good round that is proven against both critters. If harvesting the yotes, I would probably go with a good FMJ bullet to prevent pelt damage. If leaving the dogs, I'd go solid copper to prevent scavangers getting lead poisoning.

If you want an AR, I would look at a quality .223 Wylde upper and a nice 2-stage trigger.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I don't know what use prairie dog hides are. Your best bet is the most explosive bullet you can find to assure a quick and humane kill. If you reload or have the money for expensive store bought ammo the 22-250 is nearly as good as the swift without burning out barrels. I watched a friend shoot a crow at 250 yards one time so it is very accurate. If you want to harvest coyotes for fur you better learn how to skin them correctly or the hides will be worthless. Bolt action rifles are the only way to go.

Bang wrote:The idea of a bolt action rifle doesn't speak to me for some reason. I'd really like to go with a semi auto. For similar money will there really be a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two?
Well figure out the maximum range you will be shooting these critters at. If bolt guns turn you off maybe a self loader will work, but to get the same accuracy as a bolt gun you will be spending more. I'm guessing and only guessing that the bottom of the barrel Ruger American in 243 that my wife won with it's Weaver scope will out shoot any out of the box AR at 200-300 yds.

For similar money will there really be a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two?
Absolutely there will be. If you as a shooter are capable of it that is. A newer shooter to rifles is well served by slowing down to learn the basics, a bolt is a great way to accomplish that.

The semi-auto action is a more complicated piece of machinery to make, so to get the same level of accuracy as a bolt action, it's going to run more cash. That said, with some work, a basic AR can be improved, if you build your own you could probably put together an MOA capable AR for $750, if you were careful with your selection in parts. Free floated handguard is a must, quality barrel. I'd bet it could be done. McGowan is having an end of year sale on AR prefit barrels that are certainly capable of being accurate shooters.
- Maya Angelou