Idaho F&G official resigns over photos of kills from African hunting trip

Idaho Fish and Game official resigns over photos of animals killed on African hunting trip
Fischer emailed friends and co-workers photos of himself posing with a dead baboon family – including a baby – as well as a giraffe, a leopard, and other animals he killed on a recent trip to Namibia.
"My reaction to the photo and accompanying text of you smiling and holding a 'family' of primates you killed, dismays and disappoints me," Trevey said, according to KBOI. "I have a difficult time understanding how a person privileged to be an Idaho Fish and Game Commissioner can view such an action as sportsmanlike and an example to others."
The governor's office also released a copy of Fischer's resignation letter, which read in part: "I recently made some poor judgments that resulted in sharing photos of a hunt which did not display an appropriate level of sportsmanship and respect for the animals I harvested. While these actions were out of character for me, I fully accept responsibility. ... I apologize to the hunters and anglers of Idaho who I was appointed to represent."
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Idaho F&G official resigns over photos of kills from African hunting trip

Very little meat is wasted from safari hunting. Primate meat is called bush meat and is highly desired, and the fees to hunt help maintain populations in a place where wild land is disappearing under housing and farms.

https://medium.com/@collincottrell/3-co ... 3f64ec763a
In Africa, it’s part of the hunting laws that you have to give a LARGE portion of the meat to the local communities and villages. Trophy hunting is all about eating the meat.

It costs A LOT of money to go on a trophy hunt in Africa. It’s common for these hunts to cost from $15,000 to $100,000+, depending on where and what you’re hunting.
A large portion of this money goes directly into conservation efforts and to the local African communities, to help improve their economy. It also makes it possible for them to hire people that will help in the prevention of poaching.
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-baboons-c ... ed-animals
Of the five baboon species, no one is “endangered”. Only one is “Near Threatened”, and the remaining four species are at the “Least Concern” category..
Baboons are not sweet little bundles of fur, and taking a "family" won't effect the population much-probably no long term effects.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180962299/
For decades Cheney has documented infanticide in baboons in Botswana, where the behavior accounts for at least 50 percent of all infant deaths. Cheney notes that, in the Botswana populations at least, a dominant male typically mates with multiple females—in the process fathering a high proportion of infants—but only retains his tenure as alpha male for a few months.
His crime was to publish. Now his critics can feel good about the steak they had for dinner
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Baboons along the road from Capetown to the lighthouse at The Cape of Good Hope. I took this when we were there for a wedding (the marriage didn't survive, but we had a blast!)
That was when we were informed that baboons are protected and cannot be hunted. They can be very unpleasant creatures, being quite clever at getting into peoples' houses and destroying them.
IMGP2359.JPG
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

danhue wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am Most disturbing to me was how he staged the killed Baboons picture, like a family portrait, as if to highlight the intrinsic kinship we have with these monkeys. It was, as Eris said, sadistic. And BTW, yes, Baboons can be nasty and unpleasant creatures, but I can think of at least one other animal that is even more so, and it's does not give any more reason to kill them.
Exactly.

And while I'm here.... I notice the "bush meat" excuse has been posited above. That is bullshit - the locals are quit capable of catching heir own bush meat, and saying that the dollars help the local population (didn't specify whether human or baboon) is likewise BS. Either way you look at it, he paid for the dubious "thrill" of killing something. I suggest you all read again "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

I have nothing against hunting, for meat to be consumed by you or yours.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

mahkagari wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:06 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:49 pm Me? Pretty as they are, I hate deer. They eat our expensive plantings. Baboons shun them (never seen a baboon in our neighborhood).
Rats with hooves. But they taste better.

Louis CK on the subject (very non-PC language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1ucGoPvWk
I hope that's a guess, not reflective of experience........... :sick:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

mahkagari wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:08 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:47 pm
mahkagari wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:06 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:49 pm Me? Pretty as they are, I hate deer. They eat our expensive plantings. Baboons shun them (never seen a baboon in our neighborhood).
Rats with hooves. But they taste better.

Louis CK on the subject (very non-PC language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1ucGoPvWk
I hope that's a guess, not reflective of experience........... :sick:
:whistle:
No offense intended, but I'll forgo a dinner invite! :cry: :sick: :roflmao:

Our little 10lb yapper puts the run to deer in our yard, hilarious to watch.

Peter Capstick wrote an article for Guns and Ammo back in the 70s about having to eradicate a troop of Baboons that were terrorizing a village. He was a government conservation officer for Botswana I think. They tried just picking out certain members of the troop that they figured were responsible for killing and eating some of the children of the village but that didn't work so he and another officer used submachine guns and killed as many as they could at one time. The surviving members of the troop left the area. It was adopted as the prefered method for "cropping" problem baboons.