hello from Oakland, looking for a store

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

braingoat

Post by braingoat »

hi. new member here from Oakland, CA.

joined mostly to find a good store run by people with left of center values to support, anywhere in the bay or hopefully not more than an hours drive from here. if theres an existing thread with such info id appreciate a link, or drop recs here please.

i am a nonbinary queer person and i have a few queer/trans friends who are looking to arm ourselves and would like to have somewhere i csn send other Q/T friends to follow suite, but do not want to support a store run by people who do not believe we have a right to exist.

hopefully someone can help here

thank you
-BG

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: hello from Oakland, looking for a store

Post by senorgrand »

welcome home! we have a big bay area contingent and they'll be along directly

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Welcome!

This place has been recommended here, but I haven't personally checked it out: https://www.yelp.com/biz/primo-tactical ... o+tactical

Others should be along shortly who know East Bay stores better than I do.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by wings »

o/

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Marlene »

Gun people suck. Gun store owners are generally evil shits. in the East Bay, Old West Gun Room is the best of the bunch politically. That's not left, but it's not excessively shitty. Get the gun, not the gun store. That's the part that counts.

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Hiker »

Welcome. What Marlene said above is great advice. I would love to have a liberal gun store to make all my purchases. It just ain't happening. But some are not as bad as others.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

nigel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by nigel »

Hi there.
ImageImageImage
Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

CasualObserver
Been around awhile

Post by CasualObserver »

Sportsman's Warehouse in Milpitas was my go to for Black Friday ammo and the occasional promotion, and they would price match any advertised gun in a nearby store, and even try to get close to online stores like Bud's. Friendly helpful people at the Milpitas store. But the temporary closure turned into permanent closure. They are still in Fairfield and Rohnert Park, I think. Haven't been to those stores. It's a chain, like Bass Pro Shops or Target. So I would expect professionalism from the staff.

I used to go to the gun show in the Cow Palace in Daly City but that has been shut down by the powers that be and I don't know if it is ever coming back. Gun shows are great for ammo prices and accessories. Haven't bought a gun there. There are still some gun shows in operation in Fairfield and Vallejo that are generally smaller than the Cow Palace gun show. Haven't been to those yet. Not sure how any lockdowns will affect their schedule this year. You can google them.

Pro tip: For a Sat-Sun gun show, go early Sat because they can sell out on the best prices for some ammo.

Also, while waiting in line to get in Sat or Sun morning, I've gotten into some "interesting" conversations. Warning: conservatives and conspiracy theorists also like gun shows. If you can handle those conversations, it's eye opening to say the least. I found it amusing. I'm chatty. You don't have to be. But the vendors all seemed cool. Just wanted to do business.

Hope this helps.

dLEVO
Helpful Contributor

Post by dLEVO »

Do not engage in political conversations with gun people. That’s what I’ve learned. You kind of have to assume everyone is not just conservative, but far leaning conservative.

BTW, welcome. I just joined today and also in Oakland

OnePivot
Helpful Contributor

Post by OnePivot »

Your best bet is the large chain stores that sell guns. Sportsmans or even bass pro. Big5 for rifles. They're either more indifferent, or more bound by company policy to keep it under wraps.

ALL privately owned gun shops in all of NorCal are pretty much full of redhats. They're arming you though, so what counts.

I'm an ally and not LGBT myself, but I might consider offering queer friendly firearm services in the future. There's very very little in the way of services for that community. You have every right to exist and defend yourself.

dLEVO
Helpful Contributor

Post by dLEVO »

OnePivot wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:52 am
Your best bet is the large chain stores that sell guns. Sportsmans or even bass pro. Big5 for rifles. They're either more indifferent, or more bound by company policy to keep it under wraps.

ALL privately owned gun shops in all of NorCal are pretty much full of redhats. They're arming you though, so what counts.

I'm an ally and not LGBT myself, but I might consider offering queer friendly firearm services in the future. There's very very little in the way of services for that community. You have every right to exist and defend yourself.
Man, that would be amazing. So, are you just talking about getting your FFL license and transferring guns and ammo?

I think it would be a great idea because I know some family members who don’t feel comfortable buying a firearm because of the environment of local gun stores.

Go4broke
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Go4broke »

Welcome! I get uncomfortable as well when I go to some of my local gun stores. Even though I’ve been in the Military for 11 years they still treat me like I’m clueless with guns just by looking at me. Sometimes they don’t even bother to help me when I walk in. I started to lean towards going to large chain stores as well and that worked out better for me. I’m also considering online purchase and getting them shipped to a FFL.
Always bring a knife to a fist fight, a gun to a knife fight, and never show up to a gun fight.

dLEVO
Helpful Contributor

Post by dLEVO »

Go4broke wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 am
Welcome! I get uncomfortable as well when I go to some of my local gun stores. Even though I’ve been in the Military for 11 years they still treat me like I’m clueless with guns just by looking at me. Sometimes they don’t even bother to help me when I walk in. I started to lean towards going to large chain stores as well and that worked out better for me. I’m also considering online purchase and getting them shipped to a FFL.
If you go the shipping route. You still have to deal with those same gun stores.

I honestly hate big chain stores. I just picked up a Glock 19 G3 today and it was painful dealing with them. I didn’t have to deal with stupid political rhetoric, but it literally took 5x as long.

I go to Richardson Tactical in Hayward. Owner is definitely conservative, but I could tell with his interaction with customers that he is well aware that his store is in Bay Area proper so he watches the things he says. I think the worst thing I ever heard him say was that he doesn’t watch CNN because it’s too much blue.

Go4broke
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Go4broke »

If you go the shipping route. You still have to deal with those same gun stores.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought not all FFLs had store fronts. At least in my area I found some that just deal with the shipping and receive of firearms. It's not the perfect solution, but it seems like an easy in and out transaction rather than having to deal with a whole store front with a higher possibility of a negative experience. Again, I'm just researching myself so I could be wrong.
Always bring a knife to a fist fight, a gun to a knife fight, and never show up to a gun fight.

dLEVO
Helpful Contributor

Post by dLEVO »

Go4broke wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought not all FFLs had store fronts. At least in my area I found some that just deal with the shipping and receive of firearms. It's not the perfect solution, but it seems like an easy in and out transaction rather than having to deal with a whole store front with a higher possibility of a negative experience. Again, I'm just researching myself so I could be wrong.
No, you are correct. There are some FFL’s which are not even gun stores like Far West Photography in Santa Clara. Some FFL’s are fun out of homes, which I’ve never tried.

CasualObserver
Been around awhile

Post by CasualObserver »

dLEVO wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 am
Go4broke wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 am

I honestly hate big chain stores. I just picked up a Glock 19 G3 today and it was painful dealing with them. I didn’t have to deal with stupid political rhetoric, but it literally took 5x as long.

I go to Richardson Tactical in Hayward. Owner is definitely conservative, but I could tell with his interaction with customers that he is well aware that his store is in Bay Area proper so he watches the things he says. I think the worst thing I ever heard him say was that he doesn’t watch CNN because it’s too much blue.
Sportsman's Watehouse had its overwhelmed moments. But Bass Pro in San Jose is notoriously slow, always slow, at the gun/ammo counter. Just awful. I hate it too. But I've had a paid web order for ammo waiting for me at BPS and explained to the front desk that waiting an hour is unreasonable, and I've had a manager expedite it for me. They're not evil. Just under resourced or poorly managed. Not sure exactly.

Speaking of Richardson Tactical, did you hear about this?
Four people have been charged with stealing at least 27 firearms from a Bay Area gun store on a night in May when thousands of people took to the streets to protest police brutality.
Dashawn Taylor, Anthony Craft Jr., Tyronza Hampton Jr. and a fourth person whose name is still sealed because they have not been arrested were indicted Monday for the theft May 31 at Richardson Tactical in Hayward, federal prosecutors said in a statement.
Prosecutors said Taylor was arrested a week after the burglary when he was in a vehicle that crashed while “fleeing the scene of a shooting” in Oakland. Police found him with a gun that had been stolen from Richardson Tactical, court documents showed. Authorities later identified him as a burglar who’d pulled his mask down in front of a surveillance camera,the East Bay Times reported.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/4 ... t/2338789/

speedydave
Helpful Contributor

Post by speedydave »

I’ve had minimal interaction with them, but what interaction I have had with UG Imports in Fremont has been positive (not really a browsing kind of store though). I also had a good experience with ASP Armory in Vacaville, though that was just for ammo (would have done a PPT here but they’re not taking any right now). Primo in Walnut Creek has been telling me they still aren’t taking new appointments, but they do have overwhelmingly positive reviews.

It’s a bit of a drive, but The Gun Range in North Highlands (Sacramento/Roseville) has definitely earned my business. Nice indoor range, good rental selection and professional staff. I’m looking for a regular spot closer to the east bay as well, but I haven’t minded making the hour drive (probably 90 minutes from Oakland).

On the other side of the coin, I checked out City Arms East in Pleasant Hill. Didn’t get a sense of any political bias, mostly because I wasn’t there very long, but I just thought the customer service was atrocious. Also, not sure if every small shop is charging COVID tax right now, but I was thoroughly unimpressed by the $1050 price tag on the CZ 97B they showed me. Walked in ready to buy something and walked out empty handed.