Central Virginia: New Member

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

johnwinkler
Helpful Contributor

Central Virginia: New Member

#1 Post by johnwinkler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am

Good morning,
I am a new member from Central Virginia. Originally from Upstate New York, I have lived down here for about five years. I hunted a bit when I was younger with my older brother and simply faded out of it. My go to sport has been fly fishing for the last twenty years. Since living in Virginia, I started shooting clays and that evolved into bird hunting, then I bought a hand gun to target shoot at home, and.... But specifically, why did I decide to join LGC today? After last week I decided not just to be angry but figure how I can be a voice, and breakdown the false dichotomy of guns, affiliated sports and hobbies, and political point of views. I half-jokingly said to my friend that I needed to start a Social Libs with Guns caucus. And then as I started searching around for like minded folks, I found LGC and here I am. Fate? I look forward to learning from you all, do what I can to support, and have some fun too. As far as politics, I rarely agree 100% even with the folks I vote for, that's a tall order, so I look at the net sum of a stack of issues. So, if anyone ever wants to trade fly fishing lessons for shooting and gun-personship lessons, look me up!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Central Virginia: New Member

#2 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am

Hi from NJ! I'm nominally from Upstate New York (but only to City people), went to college in Binghamton, lived in Northern Virginia for 10 years, and had to be persuaded to move here--28 years ago. Loved living in VA. But my job sucked, my wife's job sucked, and she got a far better one in the City so we moved, also to be closer to our aging parents (All but my wife's mom are gone, and she's now near my wife's brother in Roswell, GA--warmer winters).
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Mason

#3 Post by Mason » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am

Howdy from Tidewater. Where in central Va?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

johnwinkler
Helpful Contributor

#4 Post by johnwinkler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am Hi from NJ! I'm nominally from Upstate New York (but only to City people), went to college in Binghamton, lived in Northern Virginia for 10 years, and had to be persuaded to move here--28 years ago. Loved living in VA. But my job sucked, my wife's job sucked, and she got a far better one in the City so we moved, also to be closer to our aging parents (All but my wife's mom are gone, and she's now near my wife's brother in Roswell, GA--warmer winters).
Hi there YankeeTarheel,

Binghamton? I actually still have a place on the West Branch of the Upper Delaware in Deposit, New York- fly fishing. Binghamton is the closest 'big city'. I am originally from Schenectady and lived in Syracuse for twenty years.

johnwinkler
Helpful Contributor

#5 Post by johnwinkler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 am

Mason wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am Howdy from Tidewater. Where in central Va?
Hi Mason,
I am in Goochland County.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by sikacz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am

Welcome! Many of us made the same type of google search. Read and enjoy. Sporting Clays rock by the way.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Mason

#7 Post by Mason » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:01 pm

johnwinkler wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 am
Mason wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am Howdy from Tidewater. Where in central Va?
Hi Mason,
I am in Goochland County.
Right on. I lived in Powhatan, Chesterfield and Richmond for 20ish years. Now in Hampton. Have 20 acres of hunting/hobby farm in Fluvanna, very close to Scottsville.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by sig230 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 pm

johnwinkler wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am Hi from NJ! I'm nominally from Upstate New York (but only to City people), went to college in Binghamton, lived in Northern Virginia for 10 years, and had to be persuaded to move here--28 years ago. Loved living in VA. But my job sucked, my wife's job sucked, and she got a far better one in the City so we moved, also to be closer to our aging parents (All but my wife's mom are gone, and she's now near my wife's brother in Roswell, GA--warmer winters).
Hi there YankeeTarheel,

Binghamton? I actually still have a place on the West Branch of the Upper Delaware in Deposit, New York- fly fishing. Binghamton is the closest 'big city'. I am originally from Schenectady and lived in Syracuse for twenty years.
Yup, only Seattle is rainier! I'd be driving up route 17 (past Deposit) and it would be a beautiful day and...over Binghamton would be an umbrella of clouds! While the Triple Cities weren't pretty, the countryside was. The SUNY campus is in a beautiful location, but perpetually windy--the main quad was a wind-tunnel. My brother went to Union so I'd been to Schenectady a few times in the 60's and 70's. He'd say if Albany got 15" of snow, Schenectady got 20"!
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by K9s » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Welcome!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by lurker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 pm

you fish for flies? ;)
:welcome:

FlyGuy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by FlyGuy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Howdy From Houston!
I won't take the bait.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by wings » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 pm

o/

Syracuse for 20 years? Took that long to dig out of the snow, eh?

Kinetic
Helpful Contributor

#14 Post by Kinetic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am

Howdy from Rappahannock Co., VA!
Avatar consists of the arsenal proof stamps on a 1960 Polish AKM bolt carrier.