Re: Newbie

In general, you can put any published .38 Special load in a .357 Magnum case. Pressure & velocity will be a bit lower, though; for this reason, I'd shy away from the light .38 loads in .357 cases lest a bullet get stuck in the bore.

Also, there are some powders used for .357 which are not applicable to .38, as they can be erratic & show dangerously high pressure spikes when loaded below specific chamber pressures (which happen to be above max .38 Sp pressure). For this reason, if you find a powder listed for .357 but not for .38, don't try to extrapolate downwards - bad things can happen.

You'll likely get sooty cases with light loads, though, as the heavier construction .357 cases take more pressure to get the case to seal against the chamber wall; nothing to worry about, just clean the cases as normal.
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

Heretic wrote:In general, you can put any published .38 Special load in a .357 Magnum case. Pressure & velocity will be a bit lower, though; for this reason, I'd shy away from the light .38 loads in .357 cases lest a bullet get stuck in the bore.

Also, there are some powders used for .357 which are not applicable to .38, as they can be erratic & show dangerously high pressure spikes when loaded below specific chamber pressures (which happen to be above max .38 Sp pressure). For this reason, if you find a powder listed for .357 but not for .38, don't try to extrapolate downwards - bad things can happen.

You'll likely get sooty cases with light loads, though, as the heavier construction .357 cases take more pressure to get the case to seal against the chamber wall; nothing to worry about, just clean the cases as normal.
I'll keep this in mind once I learn how to reload.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wings wrote:Looking forward to the range report on the 3" - I was just ogling the 4" earlier today. I really enjoy single action, but the DAO on the K6s is pretty smooth.
It's a nice gun! But I have to get used to the recoil. It has a lot more kick than my .22 obviously. I'm going to try some cowboy action loads and see how I do with those. I'll build up to standard .38's gradually.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk