Howdy from North(?) Texas!

Hello. My name is Alan (username is just my most common internet pseudonym). I Live in the DFW metroplex (15 minutes due north of DFW international airport practically). I found this forum after doing some google searching and being tired of most of my local firearms talk coming with as much politics as anything else. I have a degree in criminal justice, and after a few training sessions with a glock 19 I bought one and got my commissioned guard license. I now own 4 firearms but i don't get much use out of them outside of indoor paper punching. I came here hoping to expand the number of people I could talk shop with, make a few friends, and maybe finally do something more interesting than punch holes in paper at 25 yards (sports shooting or longer range rifle shooting).

PS: the question mark in the title is because I know at least a few people who call the panhandle north Texas.

Re: Howdy from North(?) Texas!

sikacz wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 pm Welcome from Houston! The Texas Chapter invites you to join us to shoot and eat BBQ! We have a Dallas Fort Worth area contingent as well. Again welcome!
definitely need to look into it. Although i think my rifle needs some work first. Bought an AR15 on the cheap but now I'm dealing with a busted crush washer on the muzzle, a thread-locked buffer tube, no zero on the ironsights,and the ever popular gas in the face. I already had to take a mallet to a cheap metal handstop(was there when i got it) that had its screws stripped to loosen it enough that i could pull them out by hand (would have drilled them out but someone hid all of the drill bits and i don't have ready access to a vise to keep it steady anyways).

So far my experience has been that cheap firearms just aren't.

BillMcD wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 pm Welcome from Houston! The Texas Chapter invites you to join us to shoot and eat BBQ! We have a Dallas Fort Worth area contingent as well. Again welcome!
definitely need to look into it. Although i think my rifle needs some work first. Bought an AR15 on the cheap but now I'm dealing with a busted crush washer on the muzzle, a thread-locked buffer tube, no zero on the ironsights,and the ever popular gas in the face. I already had to take a mallet to a cheap metal handstop(was there when i got it) that had its screws stripped to loosen it enough that i could pull them out by hand (would have drilled them out but someone hid all of the drill bits and i don't have ready access to a vise to keep it steady anyways).

Buy used classics, you'll be happier.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

flynt wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:30 pm Howdy right back at ya! Great to have you on board, especially since we'r almost neighbors. We live in Highland Village, which is maybe thirty minutes north of DFW Airport. I looked at your profile, and I'm also a bit of WWII buff, as well as gun nut!
we might just be neighbors :ninja: okay not quite but you get the idea. Bunch of suburb towns packed together and only so many ranges to go to.
sikacz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am
BillMcD wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Buy used classics, you'll be happier.
At this point I've taken the cheap rifle as a challenge to my determination but I get what you're saying. That said, the used classics keep going up in price as well. :see_stars: Well at least they do if the seller has a lick of sense or the buyer has integrity. I saw my LGS turn down someone bringing in a bunch of high quality antiques because he couldn't pay what they were worth and basically advised the guy to avoid the pawn and gun shop circuit and try a collector's association.
Last edited by BillMcD on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillMcD wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm Hiya from Noo Joisey, where if you don't like the weather, wait a few hours.... Snowed last night--55degrees this afternoon.
I hear that about most places that aren't California, a desert, tundra, or some other extreme.
That's new for this part of the world. Normally, summer is hot, autumn it cools down, winter is cold and snowy, spring starts cold and windy, and gets warmer.

Not anymore, apparently.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."