Howdy from Los Angeles

Hi Folks,

Recently found this organization and joined. I grew up in LA and wasn't around guns except in Boy Scouts. Around 6 years ago I decided to learn to hunt and get back to shooting, but it's still not something I talk a ton about to others in LA. It's really nice that there is this group to give voice to gun owners who have a more left-leaning outlook.

Another thing you should know: I'm a photographer and have been working for the last few months on a project about liberal gun owners, conducting interviews and then taking portraits, with the goal of presenting what to a lot of America seems counterfactual--enthusiastic gun owners who believe in left-leaning politics. The people I've met so far doing the project have been awesome, and I'm hoping to get a critical mass of portraits and get the project picked up by a newspaper or magazine, with the ultimate goal of turning it into a book. I hope some of you will be interested in participating!

I'll be in Salt Lake City this week (Aug. 17-20) if any of y'all are there and interested. Please get in touch! And I'll be making it around to other parts of the country soon. You can see some of my work at my website, http://www.ericbhanson.com.

Cheers!

-Eric

Re: Howdy from Los Angeles

Howdy from AZ, currently working in Los Angeles.
:welcome:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm Welcome!

First, whatchya shoot?

Second, what part of LA? I used to live in the 909.

Third, DnD rules! :)
I mostly shoot shotguns--sporting clays and bird hunting, but I've got a number of firearms from pistols to a California-gimped Sig 556. I have a new baby so haven't been shooting (guns) as much recently.

I live in the city of LA in the Northeastern part of town.

Thanks for checking out my website! :)

CDFingers wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 am Welcome from Butte County, 90 minutes north of Sacto. Up here liberals a more rare than guns.

Your photo project interests me tremendously.

CDFingers
Thanks! I'm really excited for the project. It's been really interesting meeting people and talking guns and politics.

I haven't been up your way, but at least you've got Sierra Nevada brewing in Chico--always wanted to visit and pay homage

I've never been to Albion, NE. I had to look it up and Columbus is close. People here would consider that Western Nebraska considering half the population of the state lives east of 156th street here in Omaha. :D

As for a shotgun, I'd pick up something like a used 28" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga pump. You'll want a little more range if you're pheasant hunting on an open Nebraska cornfield.
Brian

inomaha wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 pm I've never been to Albion, NE. I had to look it up and Columbus is close. People here would consider that Western Nebraska considering half the population of the state lives east of 156th street here in Omaha. :D

As for a shotgun, I'd pick up something like a used 28" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga pump. You'll want a little more range if you're pheasant hunting on an open Nebraska cornfield.
Haha, fair point on the western Nebraska thing. Shows what I know.

I've got a couple shotguns already--a Caeser Guerini Summit I use for sporting clays, a Beretta a300, which is now my main hunting gun, and an old Mossberg 500. I'm dying to pick up a nice 20g over/under though, for doves, quail, chukar, etc.

ebhphoto wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm
senorgrand wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm Welcome!

First, whatchya shoot?

Second, what part of LA? I used to live in the 909.

Third, DnD rules! :)
I mostly shoot shotguns--sporting clays and bird hunting, but I've got a number of firearms from pistols to a California-gimped Sig 556. I have a new baby so haven't been shooting (guns) as much recently.

I live in the city of LA in the Northeastern part of town.

Thanks for checking out my website! :)
North-east, like out by Dodger Stadium?

Good luck with the new kid...they are great, but time-consuming affair. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

North-east, like out by Dodger Stadium?

Good luck with the new kid...they are great, but time-consuming affair. ;)
Yup, north of Dodger Stadium (I am a big Dodger fan and am there often) but south of Pasadena.

She's the best, but she was born in mid-October last year so completely screwed up my hunting season last year :p She's worth it but you are right--very time consuming! Hopefully I'll be able to get out more this year. I do look forward to screwing her up when she gets older with confusion about being progressive and empathetic but also being an outdoors-woman and gun enthusiast.