Another new guy....

Hey Y'all!

New member, joining from sunny Houston. Great to find the forum!

I've been an archer because I've lived outside the US and that was the only way to scratch my itch for projectiles. Just moved back to Texas inherited my FIL's gun collection. Its not much to speak of, a couple of older Bersa's, and an ancient Mauser C96 that's probably not safe to fire any more. There are a few others, mostly ranch and truck guns. Going to be fun once I get them checked out by pro...

Re: Another new guy....

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Welcome from Oregon. Don't sell that C96 short. Even if you can't fire it it's still worth it for parts
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

Thanks y'all. I do need to get that C96 to a pro to look at. My FIL had it as a curiosity, belonged to his father before him I think. Not sure if it misfired or he was just a crappy shot or both, but he was scared of loading that and that was pretty much the only thing that scared him. Still, collectable....

sonhenry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:13 pm Thanks y'all. I do need to get that C96 to a pro to look at. My FIL had it as a curiosity, belonged to his father before him I think. Not sure if it misfired or he was just a crappy shot or both, but he was scared of loading that and that was pretty much the only thing that scared him. Still, collectable....
sounds like it was maybe going full auto? likely a sear arm/disconnector issue. maybe the hammer pin/spring.
if not going full auto, maybe stuck firing pin, in which case it will slamfire when the bolt closes. be sure to load it with stripper clips, or it's a single-shot right then and there unless you have 3 hands. dry-fire it a couple of times.
Last edited by lurker on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?