Howdy y'all

I wanted to say hi. I'm rather excited about the concept of a gun club for liberals. I grew up in Nashville and am now "exiled" to central MD, as I work for the DoD as a clinical psychologist. Generally speaking, I seem to find myself too conservative for many of my coworkers and too liberal for most of the folks I grew up with and most of the folks at the local gunshops and gun-clubs. So, it's kinda nice to know there's a place, here. I tend to be middle-to-left leaning in most areas, though I think somehow my preferences would best be described as some blending of Libertarian/Democratic/Social Justice conceptually.

Anyway, the "important stuff." I've gravitated to old-school shooting sports my whole life. I've competed some in 4-position small bore, IPSC/IDPA, cowboy action, service rifle, and muzzle-loading based silhouette and woods-walks. By far, my favorite types of shooting involve guns from the 18th-19th century (an M1 Garand is about the most modern gun I enjoy shooting). These days, I don't get to shoot firearms as much as I used to (kids are under 10), but when I do it's either working up BPCR loads for my 74 Sharps (boy is that work in progress) and cowboy-action shooting. By far my most frequent shooting is traditional archery. Some of my favorite pieces from the safe include a .50 flintlock, the Sharps and Garand mentioned above, a 1930's Stevens 418 in .22lr, a pair of Ruger Vaqueros, and a Pietta reproduction of the 1858 Remington NMA cap and ball revolver.

My other primary interests are playing music and woodworking. I play in a local cover-band around the area south of Baltimore, and I build electric guitars and other projects. Last, and most important, my faith as a believer and follower of Jesus drives most of my views - especially when it comes to the social justice piece of my outlook. I'm not what you might call an especially "good" Christian - lots of skepticism about mainstream religion at the moment - but it remains the foundation of my sense of identity and view of how to live.

Re: Howdy y'all

Greetings from northern California where men are men and sheep are scared.

I have a Vaquero myself, old model, in .45LC with the extra acp cylinder. Lovely gun.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Whadaya all doing experimenting on sheep and stuff! You do realize this kinda self-revealing is not going to inspire confidence in new members to the club. Even hardened psychologists who work for the DoD.
Oh, :welcome:... Jesus was a rebel BTW.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:35 pm Whadaya all doing experimenting on sheep and stuff! You do realize this kinda self-revealing is not going to inspire confidence in new members to the club. Even hardened psychologists who work for the DoD.
Oh, :welcome:... Jesus was a rebel BTW.
Don't worry. Some of the stuff I've heard about sheep would curl your hair!

wings wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm
CDFingers wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am Greetings from northern California where men are men and sheep are scared.
Eastern Idaho is home to the US Sheep Experiment Station. Yeah.
"I was only helping that sheep over the fence. I swear."
wings wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 pm Should hear what they say about ewe!
Yawp! lol!

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Welcome from Lexington KY.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Welcome. Brother was a lacrosse player at Western Maryland College and then taught for many years at Gilman. And he became a top level lacrosse referee for NCAA and pro indoor lacrosse. His two sons were high school lacrosse stars, one going to Loyola of Baltimore and the other going to Princeton. Part of Princeton's NCAA championships run during the 90s. And the one son actually played guitar in a wedding band while he was at Princeton. Brother had a sailboat on the Chesapeake for many years until he finally retired and moved to SC. Very fond memories of Baltimore.