New member in Maryland (DC burbs)

Hello everyone,
I am very glad to have found this community. I am interested in target shooting and I enjoy guns for the entertainment and collectible value more than anything else. In the past I was quite dismayed at what appeared to be a jarring uniformity of views among gun enthusiasts. A few years back when I searched for online communities, it appeared that everyone was convinced that Obama (it was during that administration) was about to personally show up at their door and take their guns. The scary part is that for many this was not a hyperbole - they actually thought this concretely... It's refreshing to see that, while I'm sure we're a minority, some reasonable people with an interest in shooting exist.
Other interests include astronomy (I used to do a lot of outreach before the plague, I love showing people fun views at my telescope's eyepiece), a variety of sporting activities (I run more than a person with common sense would, and love skiing, if/when we get some actual winters), photography, music, and pretty much whatever pleases or enhances the mind.
Looking forward to some discussions and idea sharing.
Last edited by rocdoc on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New member in Maryland (DC burbs)

Thank you for the kind welcome everyone.
And nice to see other Astro-enthusiasts around too, especially folks who are real astrophysicists! I’m just an amateur, to be clear, but I try to imbibe as much knowledge when I meet actual pros as they’re willing to share. I last had my dob out to get a pretty good view of Mars last week, and a few other goodies - but I’m fairly limited by light pollution. My neighbors seem to be really afraid of the dark...
Re: the what I shoot question: I’m actually a brand new gun owner. Recently I exclusively played with rentals at the range, and decades ago I shot my dad’s hunting shot gun a lot. Now I have a brand new Colt King Cobra coming! I’m very excited about it. I’m very partial to revolvers, and this new iteration of this gun seems to be a really nice one, and it’s a good intermediate size to be quite versatile. In the future, if Santa hears I’m good, I may look to add a longer barrel gun for some target performance, and perhaps a semi-auto too if one appeals to me. But I may also just stick to the one revolver if I enjoy it as much as I think I will.

Howdy from Houston!
Nice starter wheel gun! I am a recent purchaser of a King Cobra. They are purdy. However, it's a stinger when shooting .357mag. I have yet to try .38spc as I only have 2 boxes of ammo, and that is like gold right now. I'm going to stick with my Python for the bigger cartridges.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

:clap2: :yahoo: Wheelies!

I've shot the slightly-lighter K6s, and it certainly stung a bit with .357 magnum. I'm still not sure how much of that was the weight vs. recoil equation, and how much was the tiny, tiny grip. Did I mention it was tiny? Still. I'm going to end up in the thirties someday.

I highly recommend the .45s in a revolver, but .45 Colt is hard to come by right now, for some reason.

Hi from NJ! Live in Alexandria for and commuted for 2 DREADFUL years from near Fort Belvoir (yeah, we had an Alexandria mailing address) up to Twin Brooks, contracted to ADAMHA in the FDA building there. Other than that, loved living in the DC Metro area on the Virginia side.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Thanks for the nice additional messages everyone, I appreciate how welcoming this community is. Interesting but not at all surprising to hear that 357s kind of sting in this gun, at this size there isn't anything one can do to avoid that. I actually plan to shoot mostly 38s out of it anyway.
Also nice to hear a lot of connections to this area. A lot of folks come and go in this general metro area, for obvious reasons. Some of us stay. I lived in New York and Boston before DC, and I kind of like the mix of urban options and easy access to nature and the outdoors the best here. And yes, I am very lucky to live close to where I work, and don't need to get on the beltway for my commute (well, now my commute consists of walking from the bedroom to my home office, with the occasional traffic jam caused by toddlers and cats, but you know what I mean).