Re: New member and gun owner

lurker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 am
Inquisitor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 am Ignore lists exist for a reason.
i use it regularly. saves a lot of stress.
need to update it, some of them are long gone.
How do you know they are gone if they are on your ignore list? I mean, their comments are not visible, right?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:28 pm it's not like they cease to exist, desirable as that outcome might be. the forum tells you that they posted, just hides what they post. and then, like as not, somebody quotes them.
sometimes they leave, and come back under a new name.
sometimes they leave, wait a while, and come back under the same name.
:sneaky: so devious. they think. :wave:
What's in a name... perhaps I'll reinvent myself. The grandpapa thing is obsolete now.
This isn't going well, is it?

[/quote]
How do you know they are gone if they are on your ignore list? I mean, their comments are not visible, right?
[/quote]

There is a note right where they posted. You have an option of reading it or not. If you read it they will still be on the ignore list. All forum type sites do this.

Ignoring some posters that irritate you is fine but you may lose track of the direction of the thread unless someone quotes that thread. The blocked person may say something intriguing or important and you may never see it. You know you are going to read it anyways. lol

Blocking one hit wonders ( a person who typically utters one word so people can see how important they think are ) who seek attention all the time is great. Simply blocking a person because you don't agree with their reasoning or logic is just childish and you may as well not even come to forums. See "forum" b : a public meeting place for open discussion
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:16 am
[/quote]

There is a note right where they posted. You have an option of reading it or not. If you read it they will still be on the ignore list. All forum type sites do this.

Ignoring some posters that irritate you is fine but you may lose track of the direction of the thread unless someone quotes that thread. The blocked person may say something intriguing or important and you may never see it. You know you are going to read it anyways. lol

Blocking one hit wonders ( a person who typically utters one word so people can see how important they think are ) who seek attention all the time is great. Simply blocking a person because you don't agree with their reasoning or logic is just childish and you may as well not even come to forums. See "forum" b : a public meeting place for open discussion

Not really thread topical, but wouldn't it be nice if the member name line were 2 spaces longer?
[/quote]
This isn't going well, is it?

Jwc wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:44 am Got my first shotgun and rifle last October and first handgun a couple months ago. Joined LGC a few weeks ago after quitting a couple other online gun owners groups that made me feel uncomfortable with their rhetoric.

I’ve shot skeet and gone to the shooting range for fun for years, but decided to buy my own guns for home and family defense after becoming very concerned about Trump’s comments about possibly not conceding the election and the subsequent behavior of his followers, including the alarming rise in anti-Asian violence. It bothers me that the vast majority of American gun owners are probably right wing conservatives who support the Trump agenda. I would love to see more liberals taking up arms to provide more balance.

Teaching my family to shoot is a fun activity, but I’m also trying to educate them about responsible gun handling and self-defense. We are Asian-American, and have Asian-American family and friends as well as ourselves who have been the victims of violent attacks and had their businesses vandalized while the police and legal system turned a blind eye.

I don’t know yet how I feel about all the issues surrounding the gun control debate, but since I live in Maryland, I do feel that the 10 cartridge magazine limit is not effective, and that there are root causes that need to be addressed to reduce gun violence.

Looking forward to being part of the community.
That is terrible about the attacks and vandalism.

I am for the equitable ownership of firearms and do not have any reservations about strict limits on who can own what. The latest mass shooting in California is more proof of that. PoC should be given preferential treatment in what they can have to help level the playing field traditionally dominated by white supremacy. Black powder takes some of the warfighter mindset of white supremacy and toxic masculinity out of the hobby. My guns do not have "magazines" and are fine for my purposes, including home defense. Offensively, they are not a threat to anyone, or I would rethink the morality of owning them.

OfeibeaGR wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:07 am I am for the equitable ownership of firearms and do not have any reservations about strict limits on who can own what. The latest mass shooting in California is more proof of that. PoC should be given preferential treatment in what they can have to help level the playing field traditionally dominated by white supremacy. Black powder takes some of the warfighter mindset of white supremacy and toxic masculinity out of the hobby. My guns do not have "magazines" and are fine for my purposes, including home defense. Offensively, they are not a threat to anyone, or I would rethink the morality of owning them.
Banned the bloomberg troll again. Not sure how they got back in.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

OfeibeaGR wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:07 amI am for the equitable ownership of firearms and do not have any reservations about strict limits on who can own what. The latest mass shooting in California is more proof of that. PoC should be given preferential treatment in what they can have to help level the playing field traditionally dominated by white supremacy. Black powder takes some of the warfighter mindset of white supremacy and toxic masculinity out of the hobby. My guns do not have "magazines" and are fine for my purposes, including home defense. Offensively, they are not a threat to anyone, or I would rethink the morality of owning them.
Triple murder from 17 years ago.
Black-powder gun replicas can be deadly
When Donald Barnhart, a man convicted of slicing his ex-girlfriend's throat five years ago, started shopping for a gun for a triple homicide he was planning, he had to look no farther than the Internet.

For about $200, he bought a replica Civil War-era .31-caliber cap and ball pistol from Cabela's and had it delivered to his sister's home in Hyde Park, Westmoreland County. The six-shooter can fire up to six times without reloading between shots.

Then, police say, he used it to kill David, Rhonda and Destini Walters in their trailer home in Parks, Armstrong County. Their bodies were discovered Jan. 13 by David Walters' father, Carl. While black-powder guns aren't regulated at all by the federal government, Pennsylvania law does prohibit convicted felons from possessing them, or any other kind of firearm. But that law is effectively canceled out because there is no background check required for antique or replica gun purchases in the state.
Can anyone be trusted with the responsibility of being able to "fire up to six times without reloading between shots"?

lurker wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:04 pm
jeltebats, our newest member for example, dropped 4 spam posts in quick succession last night. consequence? posts deleted, still listed as "new member".
No, they are banned. In order for them to show as banned on their profile, we have to add them to the banned group instead, which is more work, so we usually don't do that.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou