Re: Prepping and surviving for a real world.

I've got a couple of the lifestraws in the kits. I also travel with a baby berkey, using an aquacera charcoal/ceramic filter, as the hotel water across the country tends to suck, and if needed, I could dump swamp water into it and it would be drinkable. Thanks for the info on the renovo!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

dougb wrote:Interesting that failure to perform is not warranted and is actually considered normal wear and tear. Retail of $33 should mean a cost or $10 to $15 to build, maybe less. Send them a copy of your forum post, letting them know that they probably lost enough sales to cover your replacement costs several times over.

One of the advantages of small town living is a self reliant attitude. Our water supply runs on electric, with a diesel backup, backed up by a power take off unit that matches any John Deere tractor. Same with sewage. Last storm to hit and cause damage was cleaned up before the state knew. Every second house in town seems to have a chain saw and relatives with tractors and trailers to move trees and brush. All clear signal is usually masked by the sounds of chain saws making fire wood. The presence of hunting dogs and duck boats may discourage looters, as will the presence of a shooting range at the edge of town.
That's my situation exactly. Small town. We moved in from the country so my kids could have more local boys to play with; we were extremely rural.

These folks at Renovo... yeah, when I initially contacted them, I made it clear that I wanted to follow up with the report I made 9 months ago.

More to the point, I wanted to be able to say that "this is a rare flaw, and Renovo stood behind their product!"

Unfortunately, I am unable to do so.

They went in knowing that they were getting press. Personally, I'd decided that I'd not be using the Renovo again. It was far from abused; it was actually babied to a point. The fact that one failed concerned me.

I didn't really want the replacement; I wanted to know they would stand behind what they sell! In full disclosure, after I pushed, they told me they'd give me a "partial discount" on a new unit, but as I said, I wasn't really interested in the new unit.

Know what I find interesting, though? This:

Survivor Filter - LIFETIME WARRANTY The bloody thing appears to be the exact same unit as the Renovo, just rebadged. Less expensive and has a lifetime warranty.

I don't trust the design now, or I'd order this one.

I do think I'll look at the Sawyer. My concern about them is whether they've lowered quality to sell at Walmart.

Regards,

Josh

From my driveway entrance it is 300 yards to my house across a clear pasture. Should things devolve to an Argentina type level I would put a sentry on the porch 24/7 and lock the gate. Even if my sentry is a kid with an air horn, it takes 3 minutes to unlock the gate and drive up my driveway. I feel like I would have plenty of time to respond to an attempted intrusion that way. Should someone come at me sideways through my neighbors, well they are also all pretty heavily armed. I wish,d likely hear someting before they hit my fence. Now if someone wanted to cross the 1+ mile of clear cut blackberry and poison oak mess that would be a problem. But I figure that a group intent on coming that way would likely be heavily armed and organized in which case I a, likely screwed anyway.

Even now I am cautious. I don't advertise what I have. I don't put stickers on my car for magpull or some such. I run off any wanderers onto my property, keep the gat s closed and lock the doors. I give extra eggs to the neighbors, bring their dogs back to them when they stray instead of calling animal control. I figure a good neighbor is worth more than the occasional chicken death.