Amatuer radio amateur...

Hi diddly ho there neighbours!

I've got a bunch of friends that are into ham radio and I've always wanted to play, so I jumped in and got a Baofeng handset from Amazon ($26, Prime shipping. I almost feel guilty). I'm studying up for my Technician operator class and I had a question. Well, several, but this one I can't shake.

What am I supposed to be learning? Almost all learning resources everywhere say either BUY THE BOOK TO LEARN (ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need To Become an Amateur Radio Operator) or go through these flashcards that are all of the questions in the pool.

Before I buy the gods-damned book, I need to know - what am I actually learning? Going through and doing the flashcards is just rote memory stuff, it's not actually building this construct of knowledge in my head - I don't feel like I've actually learned anything. It's all disconnected facts with no context. And I've been unsuccessful at establishing context thus far.

So... halp?
My blog - Bear Left Guns

Rem 760 .30-06, Ruger Single Six, Remington Nylon 66

Re: Amatuer radio amateur...

BearLeft wrote:Hi diddly ho there neighbours!

I've got a bunch of friends that are into ham radio and I've always wanted to play, so I jumped in and got a Baofeng handset from Amazon ($26, Prime shipping. I almost feel guilty). I'm studying up for my Technician operator class and I had a question. Well, several, but this one I can't shake.

What am I supposed to be learning? Almost all learning resources everywhere say either BUY THE BOOK TO LEARN (ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need To Become an Amateur Radio Operator) or go through these flashcards that are all of the questions in the pool.

Before I buy the gods-damned book, I need to know - what am I actually learning? Going through and doing the flashcards is just rote memory stuff, it's not actually building this construct of knowledge in my head - I don't feel like I've actually learned anything. It's all disconnected facts with no context. And I've been unsuccessful at establishing context thus far.

So... halp?
The tests are a combination FCC rules, math, and electrical engineering (well, basic electronics actually).

You can get the books, study online, whatever and "learn" the material, or you could just take lots of practice tests and flash card it.

In practice, you need to know how not to hurt yourself with RF, so whichever you chose for licensing, real learning needs to happen if you ever go beyond the baofeng.

There are some things that can get you into trouble, though few of them with that baofeng. It still helps to know the law, and what things mean when people talk about them. (Firearms corollary - difference between bullet and round, or between clip and magazine. Or what the difference is between transporting rifles and pistols in California)

The test, especially for technician, is more like getting a driver's license, and should leave you with enough information to at least ask yourself if you should read up on something before doing it. I used hamstudy.org and looked up some of the legal and spectrum stuff on the AARL, and didn't have much difficulty moving on.

-- AG6TC

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:The test, especially for technician, is more like getting a driver's license, and should leave you with enough information to at least ask yourself if you should read up on something before doing it. I used hamstudy.org and looked up some of the legal and spectrum stuff on the AARL, and didn't have much difficulty moving on.

-- AG6TC

Rad, thanks

I have the ARRL Exam Review program installed and I've taken the practice test, cold, successive times and only failed it once. I was wondering if I was missing the point somewhere.

I do need to study up more on the law, the science and engineering parts I have down.
My blog - Bear Left Guns

Rem 760 .30-06, Ruger Single Six, Remington Nylon 66

BearLeft wrote:
fknauss wrote:The test, especially for technician, is more like getting a driver's license, and should leave you with enough information to at least ask yourself if you should read up on something before doing it. I used hamstudy.org and looked up some of the legal and spectrum stuff on the AARL, and didn't have much difficulty moving on.

-- AG6TC

Rad, thanks

I have the ARRL Exam Review program installed and I've taken the practice test, cold, successive times and only failed it once. I was wondering if I was missing the point somewhere.

I do need to study up more on the law, the science and engineering parts I have down.
Schedule the test then. Keep taking practice tests until then.