Re: Its wrong to want this

Tubes are good, we like tubes.

However, one might be wise to confirm that the particular valves that drive this little beasty are still available at an affordable price. (I've a very old oscilloscope which requires a particular power tube that is simply no longer out there and not being made...even in China).

One of my favorite pass-times is scoping out old radio-television-electronics shops for whatever tubes might be laying around. Some of those little buggers command a hefty price. But in reality, I am looking for pre-amp and power valves for guitar amplifiers...and I would love to find an old 'tube tester', like the kind one would see in pharmacy's and grocery stores back in the sixties

For the young among us I am speaking of vacuum tubes:
Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 7.39.19 AM.png
ETA: But...shit yeah...buy it. Why would you not? You'd be the only guy in the hood who is functional after the EMP...well, except for others who have bothered to invest in tube equipment too!
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

so I did some snooping, looking for a schematic for this cute little bastard...couldn't find one to match that exactly in the short time I gave it but I did find a schematic for a Gonset Receiver from what appears to be the same era and, it being fairly common amongst electronics types to stick with what works, figure that many of the components will use the same parts...

and most the tubes I came across were straight ahead sort of stuff and a few are hard to find and one, a 2E26 isn't listed in my 'GE Essential Characteristics' Tube Manual but...the schematic shows it to have the same base and grid indicators as a 2E32, which is a Sharp-Cutoff RF Pentode, so I am guessing that my book predates the introduction of this particular tube.

I noticed that the seller has an image of the user manual...perhaps you can get the seller to open that up and send you a list of the vacuum tubes the transceiver uses and you can do your own search.

I did find one essential that I am certain you will want / need...

We Are So Screwed

Rolandson wrote:ETA: But...shit yeah...buy it. Why would you not? You'd be the only guy in the hood who is functional after the EMP...well, except for others who have bothered to invest in tube equipment too!
Ah yes, tube technology: the wave of the future!
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:
Rolandson wrote:ETA: But...shit yeah...buy it. Why would you not? You'd be the only guy in the hood who is functional after the EMP...well, except for others who have bothered to invest in tube equipment too!
Ah yes, tube technology: the wave of the future!
Here's the real problem. If you don't buy it, then an EMP will fall on your part of the country and wipe out the grid for the next decade. Making millions of people impoverished and displaced, with hundreds of thousands of deaths. Don't let hundreds of thousands people die, just buy it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

AmirMortal wrote: Ah yes, tube technology: the wave of the future!
Indeed! They may be old, but nothing comes close to approaching the tonal characteristics / sound quality that these things produce...even today. Between that and their ability to remain largely unaffected by the pulse of a nuclear detonation ... we'll be rocking back into the stone age any day now!
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:Ah yes, tube technology: the wave of the future!
Indeed! They may be old, but nothing comes close to approaching the tonal characteristics / sound quality that these things produce...even today. Between that and their ability to remain largely unaffected by the pulse of a nuclear detonation ... we'll be rocking back into the stone age any day now!
It's also a technology we could recover with a much smaller infrastructure. Team an electronics geek with an old hardcopy manual up with a jeweler, a blacksmith, and a glass blower in a decent shop and they'll be able to produce a working radio system beyond spark gap transmitters and crystal receivers within a few months. Producing integrated circuits will take a little bit more plant and trained workforce.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.