Re: What Did You Do to Prep Today?

SailDesign wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:26 pm
Instant is all I ever use at home.

<goes off to find his flame-proof undies....>
Even worse, maybe, I only buy ground coffee. No grinder.
featureless wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 am
Marlene wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:11 am Woke up this morning and the power was out. Need a hand crank coffee grinder.
This is an egregious prep oversight. :lol:

Believe it or not, those little packets of freeze dried coffee work pretty well and don't taste too bad. I use them backpacking and camping and keep a little stash in the car with a pot, stove and water for unexpected overnights (you don't want to be around me in the morning without a cup of coffee in my hand). Just don't grab the bullshit disposable Kureg packets instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Hagen-Orga ... =8-17&th=1

Starbucks makes them also but I prefer others.
I tried many different freeze dried coffees. I am also a coffeeholic in the morning. That Mount Hagen stuff was more expensive than most, but it is the only one I would buy. I keep some around for bad weather (hurricane season and ice storms). I think it is really good!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

SeanMoney wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 pm Bought some extra trader joes chili and some Costco bourbon a while back. Need to get some canned fruits.
When I'm really cold, I sip bourbon neat and I've been known to add some coffee to the bourbon to warm up. Shades of the past, a group of us would go after work to Candlestick Park to watch a game and of course we'd be freezing in the bleachers, so we'd pass around a bottle of bourbon. Have to check my home supplies.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am It looks like we have boiled down the essence of liberal prepping. Good coffee and, for many, booze. :sarcasm:
Yeah. So? What's yer point? :hmmm:

Good coffee, good tequila, good rum, and good bourbon. Everything else is gravy!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

spara wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:19 pm
K9s wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am It looks like we have boiled down the essence of liberal prepping. Good coffee and, for many, booze. :sarcasm:

Good coffee, good tequila, good rum, and good bourbon. Everything else is gravy!
You forget books, good books are a must.
That's what Kindle apps and a solar charger are for! I have HUNDREDS of books on my smart phone.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Someone talked on social media about the new stove he got to put in his go bag. I left a comment giving my take on it.
Copied from the Prepping For Liberals FB page:

I don’t have a stove in my go bag, just cold rations. The weight and space it takes can be better used, IMHO. To me, a go bag means a “run for your life” bag which implies you aren’t going to have time to stop and cook. I treat the go bag just like the patrol packs I used in the Army: “pack light freeze at night.”
I have a separate, larger, sustainment ruck that does have a stove (and other nice to have things) sufficient for 7 days. The go-bag zips into the sustainment ruck so they can become one unit, or detached once camp is made for going out to forage or scout.

That’s what works for me. Try your load out for yourself on some day hikes and see if it works for you.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm Someone talked on social media about the new stove he got to put in his go bag. I left a comment giving my take on it.
Copied from the Prepping For Liberals FB page:

I don’t have a stove in my go bag, just cold rations. The weight and space it takes can be better used, IMHO. To me, a go bag means a “run for your life” bag which implies you aren’t going to have time to stop and cook. I treat the go bag just like the patrol packs I used in the Army: “pack light freeze at night.”
I have a separate, larger, sustainment ruck that does have a stove (and other nice to have things) sufficient for 7 days. The go-bag zips into the sustainment ruck so they can become one unit, or detached once camp is made for going out to forage or scout.

That’s what works for me. Try your load out for yourself on some day hikes and see if it works for you.
Oh... back to "serious" prepping discussion? :)

So many ideas about go-bags, get-home-bags, etc. I think it really depends on your travel habits, experiences, and location. When I used to drive 35 miles each way into the heart of the city, I did take an extremely light "Esbit Ultralight Emergency Folding Camp Stove" and some Mt Hagan coffee packets during snow/ice emergencies. I had to be at work (and stay there for days sometimes) while others were cozy at home.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Most prepping threads are sooooo serious and mostly revolve around weapons. This one is actually believable.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Most prepping threads are sooooo serious and mostly revolve around weapons. This one is actually believable.
:D In 2011, we went through 5 days without power due to the Halloween Franken-Blizzard that did damage equal to a Cat 3 hurricane--trees hadn't dropped their leaves.
The following year we went through 4 days without power due to SuperStorm Sandy.

Trust me, good coffee and good rum were far more valuable and appreciated than firearms! :coffee: :beer2:

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:40 pm

:D In 2011, we went through 5 days without power due to the Halloween Franken-Blizzard that did damage equal to a Cat 3 hurricane--trees hadn't dropped their leaves.
The following year we went through 4 days without power due to SuperStorm Sandy.

Trust me, good coffee and good rum were far more valuable and appreciated than firearms! :coffee: :beer2:
For us it’s tea. Life is not possible without a nice cuppa. End of the world? I’ll put the kettle on...

HuckleberryFun wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:40 pm

For us it’s tea. Life is not possible without a nice cuppa. End of the world? I’ll put the kettle on...
Don't much care for tea, unless I'm sick, although I won't pass up Lapsang Souchong--I like the tarry, smokey flavor.

But hand-made drip coffee uses that same kettle when you want the cuppa! Just hand it over while you're steeping your tea! :beer2: