Re: LGC hams - QSO Night?

drachek wrote:I've signed up for an amateur cram and test in a few weeks. I took the online test from hamstudy.org and passed without studying.

Anything I should know or do ahead of time?
Just bring the FCC fee and ID, pencils are usually provided.
Study for the General exam too, many times they will let you take the General or Extra exam right after you finish with the Technician exam. Saves having to come back again later when you feel the need to upgrade. This will get you on the HF bands.

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Study for the General exam too, many times they will let you take the General or Extra exam right after you finish with the Technician exam. Saves having to come back again later when you feel the need to upgrade. This will get you on the HF bands.
I've ordered the relevant manuals.

How much should I fret over this? I have heard the basic license test is pretty easy. How big of a step up is the General exam?

drachek wrote:
HuckleberryFun wrote:
I've ordered the relevant manuals.

How much should I fret over this? I have heard the basic license test is pretty easy. How big of a step up is the General exam?
It's harder, but not orders of magnitude harder. The Extra exam is though: more theory.

I might be up for it too. Only have a 20m vertical right now, but shouldn't be too tough to get a 40m dipole or inverted v into the air.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)