Re: Shotgun, carbine or rifle for shtf...what do you grab?

I know this wasn't one of the initial options but if I was shopping for an all-round rifle (defense, small game hunting, etc.) I would seriously consider a pistol-caliber carbine in 9mm.

Consider cost of ammo versus other calibers, ammo compatibility with pistols, strength for larger targets, easily used by smaller/weaker persons (youth, seniors, etc.), much more velocity than a pistol, easily suppressed, etc., it's not a bad option at all.
Allen Corneau

"Internet anonymity is over-rated."

I actually have it down to a 357 carbine or a 12g shotgun. Another thing about PCCs is that they are relatively simple to operate, have low recoil and muzzle flash - making them appropriate for a wider range of shooters.

After researching the Timberwolf some more, I find that the only things that seem to wear out are the firing pins and extractors, both of which are available. The only other thing I might need to replace would be a misc small spring I launched into space while taking the thing apart. That could be solved by doing any major takedowns in the shower, with the drain plugged ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Marlene wrote:mini14
+1

IMO, any SHTF weapon should be detachable magazine fed. In California, any SHTF weapon should be politically palatable so you'd have a higher likelihood of having it with you if/when SHTF. My preference is an AR for defense of the homestead (such that it is). Going mobile? Mini 14. Shotguns are a good option for hunkering in a corner and blasting anything coming down the hall but fall short on the ability to be reloaded and/or loaded quickly. In California, long guns need to be transported unloaded. Key question in my mind: Is it faster to insert a magazine or load up a tube?

On your list, the Ruger GSR is also a good bet but a bolt will be somewhat slower than a semi auto. It is magazine fed. The recoil is quite light on them and they are a nice form factor. It would be my choice of those listed.

senorgrand wrote: The only other thing I might need to replace would be a misc small spring I launched into space while taking the thing apart. That could be solved by doing any major takedowns in the shower, with the drain plugged ;)
As if you knew when a small spring is likely to take flight. I can picture it now, setting up a portable table in your bathroom, sitting in your shower doing all your -smithing... naked.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The Mini-14 is great, but let me give a few things to consider.

-Proprietary Ruger magazines. The factory mags (while sturdy and utterly reliable) cost a fortune compared to AR equivalents. Brownells does carry Pro-Mag brand, but I cannot attest to the reliability or functionality of them.

-Teardown and reassembly can be a downright PITA. It's recoil spring reinstallation can be on the level of Ruger Mk.III in terms of frustration. The Ruger is overbuilt, so there is something to be said for a recoil spring capable of handling well above and beyond .223 Remington.

-It's Minute-Of-Pieplate at 100 yards. If that's all you seek, then go with your favorite Deity of choice.

If I lived in California and had to leave with a featureless FrankenAR, I'd go Mini-14 all day.
LGC Texas - Vice President

acorneau wrote:I know this wasn't one of the initial options but if I was shopping for an all-round rifle (defense, small game hunting, etc.) I would seriously consider a pistol-caliber carbine in 9mm.

Consider cost of ammo versus other calibers, ammo compatibility with pistols, strength for larger targets, easily used by smaller/weaker persons (youth, seniors, etc.), much more velocity than a pistol, easily suppressed, etc., it's not a bad option at all.
Have you given any thought to a M1 Carbine? Ballistics' considered, it's basically a 357 muzzle energy at 100 yards with factory ammo, brass is straight wall for long reload life .. Castlead and cat sneeze loads are an option if you don't mind manual cycling the weapon .. folding stock so it fits in a tennis racket case ( Gray Man for daytime movement), light easy to carry

Your basic 55 grain FMJ 5.56 will explode a rabbit or squirrel ..I hit a rabbit sitting at the base of tree once with a 5.56 all that was left was about 3 foot of a gory smear and another three feet of bloody spray going up the trunk of the tree and a bit light for sure meat from a deer.. shot placement becomes critical

22 LR for pot meat these are options, reload 22 LR: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.mysh ... loader-kit and rebuild any primer: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.mysh ... g-compound allows re-priming of rimfire ammo or rebuilding any berdan or boxer primer ... a whole lot lighter than carrying ammo and remember you can scrounge powder from any ammo that won't fit your guns if you use a little common sense... pistol to pistol and rifle to rifle and as similar a case size as possible.. a ladle to melt scrounged lead.. a lee loader for you caliber(s)

CMMG makes a good 22LR conversion for the AR
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would like to get a 10/22 takedown as well. I have about 6,000 rounds of 22lr I'm sitting on.

The reason I keep coming back to 357 carbines is I have a lot invested in that caliber now. I've got several hundred rounds ready to go and have components for a couple thousand more. Going forward, I will likely always have plenty on hand if shtf, where if I add another caliber, I might not.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

featureless wrote:
Marlene wrote:mini14
+1

IMO, any SHTF weapon should be detachable magazine fed. In California, any SHTF weapon should be politically palatable so you'd have a higher likelihood of having it with you if/when SHTF. My preference is an AR for defense of the homestead (such that it is). Going mobile? Mini 14. Shotguns are a good option for hunkering in a corner and blasting anything coming down the hall but fall short on the ability to be reloaded and/or loaded quickly. In California, long guns need to be transported unloaded. Key question in my mind: Is it faster to insert a magazine or load up a tube?

On your list, the Ruger GSR is also a good bet but a bolt will be somewhat slower than a semi auto. It is magazine fed. The recoil is quite light on them and they are a nice form factor. It would be my choice of those listed.
Hey now. generalization is a bad thing.. "Barbie" my fully tricked out Saiga 12 with an extensive wardrobe, takes 20 round drums

not mine, but you get the idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWh2ODS6NE

or just way over the freaking top https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7TcP9zXU4

My bug out kit includes molds and a hand press to load 357 and 45lc . The 1892 is a good choice lite fast handling potent.
I own the Mossberg MVP scout in 308 i choose that gun because for the magazine the Ruger you have to use Ruger mags and they are super pricey the MVP take AR10 mags and the MVP in 223 take AR15 mag. The gun with the factory scope will handle targets out to 200 yards and with a better scope or shooter even farther and at a better price point.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

featureless wrote:
Sarge wrote: Hey now. generalization is a bad thing.. "Barbie" my fully tricked out Saiga 12 with an extensive wardrobe, takes 20 round drums
I was generalizing as one Californian to another. :D

We have certain "considerations" that don't enter into the equation in other states...
Hey I am a Californian. Born There. family 5 Generations back// 6 if you count me . Lived in Long Beach, Victorville, Corona, Chula Vista, Monterey .. graduated High School there Go Panthers and went Chaffey JC and Cal Poly

but since I did get an education..( that's the same thing as being Edjumacated for my current fellow Alabamians) .. I knew to leave shortly after Reagan became Gov... I missed Gov. Brown.. no not the current one.. his daddy .. Had a cousin that was a genuine San Francisco bongo beating coffee shop beatnik Poet and a uncle that was a famous Californian Cowboy.

Alabama is a lot like 1950's-early 1960's California.. kids could buy ammo, anybody could mail order a rifle straight to their home address .. you could go shooting or hunting just about anywhere and take your 22 rifle to school on the bus. But now even here kids can't buy ammo and take the 22 on the bus... getting time to move on maybe.. in a while perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTymtAbaG08

zzrguy wrote:
Marlene wrote:There's a heavy barreled custom accurized mini 14 in 223 at Imbert and Smithers in San Carlos. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

The new Minni have a heavier barrels then older model and are much more accurate.
There is also the Accu-strut (similar to the barrel clamp on the M14) to take care of this on Mini-14's or -30's, as well as cheaper DIY options (i.e., just clamping a tube below the barrel). Kind of bubba, but it seems to work. I just shoot an SKS instead. If you stick to the standard magazine and take off the folding bayonet, it looks like a hunting rifle and with practice, reloading from stripper clips can be fairly quick. Unfortunately, SKS's have gone up to unreasonable prices in recent years. My M59/66 Yugo SKS was just under $200 when I bought it and they are now in the low-end AK range (just under $500).

I'm late to the party - apologies. Now, a couple of things:

First, if we're bugging in, weight isn't a significant factor. Shotgun is my first choice with a backup handgun for SWMBO. If we're bugging out, weight really counts. In some situations it'll be a .22 rimfire carbine and handgun(s). Should the specifics of the situation determine that heavier is better, a pistol-caliber carbine with a same-caliber handgun (or two).

Next, I believe that slugs, and single-, double- and triple-ought buckshot against human targets are significantly over the top. Number 3 buckshot will certainly do the job. At close ranges, for that matter, high-brass Number 4 birdshot is very likely to work.

As syndicated radio humorist Red Neckerson was so fond of saying, "That's my opinion -- oughta be yours!" :D :D

SubRosa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 am Whatever is closest. No plans for BO, as safe here as anywhere.

SR
There is that...How much time do you have? How much room do you have? How much can you carry? But if I could only take one gun, either a hand-gun or rifle, with limited space and weight, it would be the Sub 2K.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."