Preping...fires and eathquakes got me thingink

Ok, I live in earthquake country (San Francisco Bay Area) I am well away from the horrible fires.

Got me thinking about my disater kit.

15 gallons propane.

40 gallons water

Squat toilet

Gas powerd generator and 15 gallons gasoline

Assload of canned goods

Bugout bag with personal information, no weapons

One handgun, contray to above.

Stay in place until that is no longer an option. Really the roads around here will be impassable.

Thoughts?
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Re: Preping...fires and eathquakes got me thingink

Just my $0.02 here. May I suggest a propane powered generator. The reason being is that propane never goes bad. It can last a lifetime. Whereas gasoline has to be changed out every year. I have seen propane gennys with a tank carrying rack built into the frame. When neighbors come and want to charge their cellphones, tell them to bring the tank from their barbeque. THEIR tank can power your house while charging their cell phone.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Extra toilet paper is often overlooked- some dehydrated food is handy for longer term storage, but definitely canned food that you can rotate through. A good water filter is a good thing to have on hand. Crank radios, walkie talkies- cell service can go down for days along with internet access.
Fuel stabilizer is a must if you're running a gas generator, and best to rotate it into your vehicles still once or twice a year. Medications if needed. Something more than a basic bandaid kit for medical. A good go bag for the car in case you need to bug out. Spare batteries for flashlights and the like.

If you don't already have the gas generator, I definitely second the propane instead. I've got a dual fuel- haven't run any gas in it yet, but have run it with propane for the days we have been without power- saved a lot of cash in our fridge and freezer.

You can also get propane conversion kits for most common generators online for under $200 the last time I looked.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Consider the types of injuries caused by earthquakes and fires.. get the skills to use the gear that addresses those type of injuries

Both fires and collapsing buildings put a lot of bad crap in the air.. if you are the type of person that breathes air during disasters, might want some protective gear.

Possible structural damage to your dwelling .. do you have a tent or other temp shelter?

shinzen wrote:Extra toilet paper is often overlooked- some dehydrated food is handy for longer term storage, but definitely canned food that you can rotate through. A good water filter is a good thing to have on hand. Crank radios, walkie talkies- cell service can go down for days along with internet access.
Fuel stabilizer is a must if you're running a gas generator, and best to rotate it into your vehicles still once or twice a year. Medications if needed. Something more than a basic bandaid kit for medical. A good go bag for the car in case you need to bug out. Spare batteries for flashlights and the like.

If you don't already have the gas generator, I definitely second the propane instead. I've got a dual fuel- haven't run any gas in it yet, but have run it with propane for the days we have been without power- saved a lot of cash in our fridge and freezer.

You can also get propane conversion kits for most common generators online for under $200 the last time I looked.
Point one....youo don't know my wife. I think we have enough TP to use it as currency. Water filter is on hand.
Crank radio on hand. All ready have the gas generator on hand. Propane on hand is for cooking and cleaning.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome