Top Socioeconomic Influencers

Low income
Low labor market engagement
Low transportation cost
Low commercial retail availability
Low transportation availability"
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: Coronavirus Prepping

lurker wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:36 pm i call BS.
alaska-
"North Slope County
Census ID 02185
Very low density (0.1 ppl / mi2)
No reported cases in county
Community Vulnerability
Extremely High
Top Socioeconomic Influencers

Low income
Low labor market engagement
Low transportation cost
Low commercial retail availability
Low transportation availability"
While I wouldn't word it as strongly, something does seem off. The populated subdivision area I live in is "low", whereas the rural and open space east of us is "extremely high".

CDFingers wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am Vulnerability map:

https://covid19.jvion.com/

CDFingers
It shows my area as very vulnerable bordering on extremely vulnerable. It makes some sense since the area is primarily older folk but mostly single family homes. Just south of me it goes to extremely vulnerable which again makes sense since basically similar populations but there are more apartments and RV parks across the street.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

In and out of 4 stores this morning in about 1.5 hours. Wally World only allows so many people in their stores at a time, read that Costco and Target are doing the same. Some of the employees in the stores were wearing masks, most weren't. Most of the employees looked stressed, no one wants to get sick and can't work and infect their families. Two of the stores won't allow reusable bags, buy theirs new or stack groceries in the cart, I stacked them in the cart and bagged them when I got to my car. Rite-Aide in my area is the same.

More paper products but limits on each item.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm Y'all already know how adept I am with a sewing machine.

https://theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/vi ... ic#p761160

Even I could make cloth masks using this really clear tutorial.

https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/fa ... -tutorial/

Person did a real good job on making the instructions.

CDFingers
I don't know CDF, it looks very challenging. In a bedroom in my house, in a cabinet is my mothers sewing machine. I kept it because none of my siblings wanted it and for sentimental reasons, but I can't remember ever using it. It's electric, no trundle.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Made another grocery run. Shopping takes me about twice as long and then I have to disinfect everything when I get it home. Cry me a river...

About a third of people were wearing masks, half N95 and half improvised. Some wearing gloves. None of the store staff, but at least they have sneeze shields and are enforcing 6 feet in the line.

No TP but I've got plenty. They had eggs this time. Candy isle was hammered but snagged some shit for the Easter basket. Baking isle still hammered and no big bags if dried beans or rice.

Feeling good about my pantry for things we want to eat for about a month. Will continue to top off while possible and still safe. At some point, there will be too many active cases and store runs will stop. Then there are a few months of things we don't really want to ear everyday but can out in the garage.

featureless wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm Made another grocery run. Shopping takes me about twice as long and then I have to disinfect everything when I get it home. Cry me a river...

About a third of people were wearing masks, half N95 and half improvised. Some wearing gloves. None of the store staff, but at least they have sneeze shields and are enforcing 6 feet in the line.

No TP but I've got plenty. They had eggs this time. Candy isle was hammered but snagged some shit for the Easter basket. Baking isle still hammered and no big bags if dried beans or rice.

Feeling good about my pantry for things we want to eat for about a month. Will continue to top off while possible and still safe. At some point, there will be too many active cases and store runs will stop. Then there are a few months of things we don't really want to ear everyday but can out in the garage.
My pantry is getting full too, which is good it's less trips to the store. I have some dried but focused on canned goods and frozen items with a longer shelf life.

I picked up some hydrogen peroxide when I was out and sprayed the disposable mask I wore when I got home and hung it up, it's already dry. This way I'll extend it's life but keep it as germ free as possible. Don't know how long we'll be wearing them in my area.

I just went out for my weekly trip. The hardest bit is getting all the food into the cart.

I also donned my n95 mask, which worked quite well. I also wore rubber gloves, which were one size too small.

Lots of food still to be had, but still no yeast. Also, no chocolate chips or ovaltine. Canned goods are still slim, but improving. No white beans. Lots of lentils (got several bags since they last forever).

No more plastic bags -- only paper, which is a challenge when it's raining.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I ordered "pickup" from a local grocery store a week ago and thought I would get h2o2 and bagels and cream cheese today. I got cream cheese and nothing else at pickup. I am thinking of ordering bagels from NY or NJ and have fedex deliver them overnight.

*sigh*

First world problems.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

There's a company that coordinates folks who sew with the need for locally-sourced face masks. Turns out there is a chapter in chico. We ordered one set, which is three masks of random printed pattern. Here's the address. Substitute your town for "chico" and see what happens.

https://chico.ideafablabs.com/

ETA: I just got the confirmation e-mail, and the place that makes these is literally four blocks up and two blocks over from my house. Local.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

K9s wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:16 am I ordered "pickup" from a local grocery store a week ago and thought I would get h2o2 and bagels and cream cheese today. I got cream cheese and nothing else at pickup. I am thinking of ordering bagels from NY or NJ and have fedex deliver them overnight.

*sigh*

First world problems.
Two chemists walk into a bar. First one says, "I'll have an H2O." Takes a drink, then his friend says, "I'll have an H2O, too." He takes a drink and dies.

bajajoaquin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 am
K9s wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:16 am I ordered "pickup" from a local grocery store a week ago and thought I would get h2o2 and bagels and cream cheese today. I got cream cheese and nothing else at pickup. I am thinking of ordering bagels from NY or NJ and have fedex deliver them overnight.

*sigh*

First world problems.
Two chemists walk into a bar. First one says, "I'll have an H2O." Takes a drink, then his friend says, "I'll have an H2O, too." He takes a drink and dies.
UGH
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:25 pm
highdesert wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm This isolating at home thing could be hazardous to my waistline. Too many good recipes.
My wife wants to experiment with sweet rolls and cinnamon buns, but I just want to make bread, the staff of life. Looking forward to the sourdough starter being ready--should take several more days.

Here's something interesting I found today.
I'm trying it now.

Like eggs and bacon — without the bacon: Victorian farmers perfect a smoky delicacy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-0 ... t/12381806
Fidelis ad mortem

With respect to the actual virus, the US fucked up our 21 day window. Now it's loose on the town.

So, we had a "practice" shut down so we all know what should be done. No leadership emanates from DC, so each state, each county, each town has to enforce masks, social distancing, testing, and tracing. The other path leads to a dead economy for 15 or 20 years.

CDFingers

Gaznazdiak wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:28 am
Here's something interesting I found today.
I'm trying it now.

Like eggs and bacon — without the bacon: Victorian farmers perfect a smoky delicacy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-0 ... t/12381806

I gave 18 free range bumnuts 24hrs of cold hickory smoke. My smoker is on my front veranda which hasn't been above 5°C for a few days and -1° at night.

I just had some, fried sunnyside in a little butter.

Actually made me laugh out loud it's that good.

Surprisingly, while the white has a very mild smokiness, the soft yolk...............

If you could take the best parts of the bacon, the best parts of the egg and blend them with a bit of cream into a warm smoothie, close.

Definitely going to need more eggs.

20200628_174134.jpg
Fidelis ad mortem

Since late February I've been adding a bag of rice here, and bag of beans there, a bag of sugar, flour, cornmeal, can of corn or peas from time to time. Piling up along the counter and so on. A good solid two weeks. Just thinking of potential supply chain disruptions. And it is my great good fortune to live near several locally-sourced breweries. god forbid it should come to it, but I would in a hot minute join the Beer Defense Brigade, eh.

CDFingers