Case trimmer recommendation

Reviews and discussion of rifle ammo.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
spara
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Case trimmer recommendation

#1 Post by spara » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 am

Any recommendations for a case trimmer?

I'm starting to reload 6.5 creedmoor on a single stage press, at the moment I don't need one that can process brass in bulk. But I know how these things go and I'll be tempted to get a .223 conversion kit for the Dillon so maybe one that can process one in bulk.

User avatar
Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#2 Post by Marlene » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am

For bulk, I like the World’s Finest Trimmer. It works on a drill and isn’t as adaptable between calibers as most. You can get a dedicated one in 223 when the time comes.

I run an old school Wilson, which is very precise. Sinclair makes a base and a micrometer length adjustment as accessories for it.

A nice flexible setup that does reasonably accurate work is the Forster. I do bulk ‘06 on one that’s been attached to a motor. If I push, I can get the brass to cut a little shorter than the setting, so consistent technique is important.

There are also some press-mounted options that I don’t know much about.

Seen a nice looking newer one that I haven’t tried, but the name escapes me. It’s advertised on Accurate Shooter, which is an excellent resource for this sort of stuff.
Image

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#3 Post by shinzen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 am

I run the World's finest trimmer 2- it is the one with replaceable cartridge inserts so you can swap calibers which is handy. That said, adjustments are a bit wonky on it- I have one perfect case saved in every caliber that I use to set it.

If I wasn't already invested in the WFT, I'd probably get the eztrim trim it 2 instead. Micrometer adjustments and whatnot, but more spendy.

https://www.blackwidowshooters.com/
Image

User avatar
offensivename
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:05 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#4 Post by offensivename » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 am

I've tried 3 different systems so far.
Lee Cutter/Lock Stud + Length Gauges - These worked fine, but gripping the tool for more than a few cases really made my hand cramp up. It looks like they have a tool to hold it but in the end it couldn't keep up with my growing pile of brass.

Lee Power Quick Trim- This one mounts on the press. I could never get a consistent trim with this thing, it would either not touch a too long case or eat a case down way past where I had it set, it also made a mess all over my press and was still awkward to use.

Frankford Arsenal Case Trim and Prep Center - This thing has a case trimmer, a chamfer, deburr, and primer pocket cleaner that all spin from a single motor, it sits on your bench as a separate tool. Its a bit spendy but right now it handles everything I've tried to trim. It does a nice, consistent job and having the chamfer and deburr tool right there makes it easy to do in three steps without moving around too much. I don't use the primer pocket cleaner because I rotary tumble my brass but they also sell and upgrade kit that comes with a primer crimp removal tool. This ate through my box of to-be-trimmed brass pretty quickly. So far I don't feel like I need another solution.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#5 Post by lurker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:22 am

i have the rcbs trimmer, and am quite happy with it.
http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparati ... r-Kit.aspx
stupid humans.

User avatar
eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14894
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#6 Post by eelj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:35 am

I really like my Forester, it's the only one I have used and feel no need to try something else. For bulk trimming I remove the handle and threat on a nut and use a drill.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#7 Post by lurker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:52 am

just curious- my reloading setup is a mish-mash of lee, dillon, rcbs, maybe a couple of others. do y'all try to stay within a brand?
stupid humans.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#8 Post by shinzen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Nah. I've got stuff from every manufacturer I can find. Just grab what looks to be the best fit for my particular use case.
Image

User avatar
Eris
Moderator
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#9 Post by Eris » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm

That makes me wonder - can dies from one manufacturer be used in a press from another?
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#10 Post by lurker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Eris wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm
That makes me wonder - can dies from one manufacturer be used in a press from another?
yes. not sure if it applies to ALL, but they're made to a standard size.
i've used rcbs and lee dies in my dillon press with nary a problem.
Last edited by lurker on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupid humans.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#11 Post by shinzen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Yup. Lurker is right- for the most part. There are some presses out there with proprietary dies, but they are few and far between. None of the common stuff that folks get is proprietary.
Image

User avatar
eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14894
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#12 Post by eelj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm

The Lyman nut cracker system uses dies that won't fit anything else without some kind of conversion. All presses and dies otherwise have I believe 7/8ths sizes with the same thread pitch.

I have 2 conventional presses and use various dies with them. Lee, Hornaday, RCBS and Redding.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#13 Post by shinzen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:33 pm

The Dillon Square Deal is the same way- proprietary dies. But Neither the Lyman nor that particular Dillon is sold in major quantities.
Image

User avatar
spara
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#14 Post by spara » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Eris wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm
That makes me wonder - can dies from one manufacturer be used in a press from another?
Yes, I use Lee dies in my Dillon press and Hornady dies in my Lee press. You do have to make allowances and adjustments. For example I use Dillon locknuts with the Lee dies and put then on the underside of the toolhead because the Lee dies are shorter than the Dillon dies.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#15 Post by Mustang » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm

I use the Giraud and am very happy with it. But it is spendy...

User avatar
spara
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#16 Post by spara » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Got a World Finest Trimmer - simple to use, processed 100 pieces of brass in no time. Used an unfired Starline case as a the master case, I measured it to make sure it was in spec.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#17 Post by shinzen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Yeah, nice and easy isn't it? You get the single caliber version?
Image

User avatar
spara
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:42 pm
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#18 Post by spara » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 pm

shinzen wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm
Yeah, nice and easy isn't it? You get the single caliber version?
Yeah, for 6.5 Creedmoor, I'll get a .223 later.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18646
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#19 Post by shinzen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am

Sweet. Probably a non-issue, but I'd double check the unfired case to make sure it chambers for you.
Image

User avatar
HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3739
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:21 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#20 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 am

I use a Wilson and I’m very happy with it.
ImageImage

NuJudge
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm
Location: SE Michigan
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#21 Post by NuJudge » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 am

Case trimming is the biggest pain in the neck of reloading. Before you spend a lot of money, think about what you want this for. Some trim systems don't work well with certain designs of cases. Some trim systems are low capital investment, but are a lot of work. I've worked with the Wilson & Forster mini-lathes, one of the Lee systems, an RCBS file trim die, and finally the Giraud. If accuracy is your only consideration, the Wilson or one of the file trim dies are probably what you want. As I get older, the hand-powered mini-lathes become unworkable, but most of them have a spud you can attach to the lathe shaft, allowing a electric hand drill to power them. Some of the mini-lathes have a small motor to power them. Very occasionally, I do thousands of cases in certain calibers, all at one time, so more set-up time and much higher cost of a Giraud can be justified.

For most of these systems, a bit more capital investment will cut set-up time, so look at the accessories also. A 3-way cutter is available for some of the mini-lathes and for the Giraud, and saves the grief of having to inside and outside chamfer, after trimming (such is available for some of the RCBS and Forster, and possibly others). Accessory lathe shafts and stops are available for the Forster mini-lathe, and may be available for others, allowing you to leave the cutter/shaft/stop set up for when you next trim that caliber. I already mentioned the spud for powering most of the mini-lathes with an electric hand drill.

My father had the money for a Giraud, but could not justify it to himself. Long ago he got a Wilson because it was about all that was available. When they came out, he bought a Forster, and I eventually followed his lead. The darned set screws that Forster uses on the three I have had, are crap, and while the rest of the machine is first rate, you should replace the set screws at your earliest convenience. There are certain calibers with odd rim designs such as the .30-40 Krag where I do not trust the rim clamp of the Forster, and go with either a Lee or RCBS file trim die. I finally bought a Giraud when faced with several 5-gallon buckets of .223 brass.

Mustang
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Case trimmer recommendation

#22 Post by Mustang » Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm

NuJudge wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:07 am
Case trimming is the biggest pain in the neck of reloading. Before you spend a lot of money, think about what you want this for. Some trim systems don't work well with certain designs of cases. Some trim systems are low capital investment, but are a lot of work. I've worked with the Wilson & Forster mini-lathes, one of the Lee systems, an RCBS file trim die, and finally the Giraud. If accuracy is your only consideration, the Wilson or one of the file trim dies are probably what you want. As I get older, the hand-powered mini-lathes become unworkable, but most of them have a spud you can attach to the lathe shaft, allowing a electric hand drill to power them. Some of the mini-lathes have a small motor to power them. Very occasionally, I do thousands of cases in certain calibers, all at one time, so more set-up time and much higher cost of a Giraud can be justified.

For most of these systems, a bit more capital investment will cut set-up time, so look at the accessories also. A 3-way cutter is available for some of the mini-lathes and for the Giraud, and saves the grief of having to inside and outside chamfer, after trimming (such is available for some of the RCBS and Forster, and possibly others). Accessory lathe shafts and stops are available for the Forster mini-lathe, and may be available for others, allowing you to leave the cutter/shaft/stop set up for when you next trim that caliber. I already mentioned the spud for powering most of the mini-lathes with an electric hand drill.

My father had the money for a Giraud, but could not justify it to himself. Long ago he got a Wilson because it was about all that was available. When they came out, he bought a Forster, and I eventually followed his lead. The darned set screws that Forster uses on the three I have had, are crap, and while the rest of the machine is first rate, you should replace the set screws at your earliest convenience. There are certain calibers with odd rim designs such as the .30-40 Krag where I do not trust the rim clamp of the Forster, and go with either a Lee or RCBS file trim die. I finally bought a Giraud when faced with several 5-gallon buckets of .223 brass.
The Giraud is a fine tool, but I discovered the hard way it does not work very well if you want to neck size

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest