Re: 223 wolf wpa polyformance?

Some say (or used to say) that the lacquer or plastic-type coating on the cases can foul the chamber and cause a stuck case. A proper thorough cleaning though should remove any residue left behind. I have too had an AR jam with it, having to pound out the case. Some say the steel cases also will prematurely wear your extractor. I still shoot it. It is cheap, and you get what you pay for. All but one of the rifles I use it in I vuilt and all are for shooting. If I eventually have to replace a cheap extractor or again have to use the cleaning rod I keep in my range bag, so be it.

Mark
Mark

I had a Mini-Thirty that never had any issues with the Wolf Polyformance, but Rugers are kind of notorious for being fickle with steel ammo. Are you using the Boxer or Berdan primed ammo? I know the Ruger firing pins have a tendency not to strike Berdan primers with enough force thus getting you an FTF.

Run a mag or two through yours and see what happens. I'd go easy on the rate of fire.

That said, American Eagle Brass .223 is pretty much as cheap as any steel ammo these days and you don't get any of the accompanying issues. It's my go-to range ammo.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Wolf and other steel case .223 work if you add a stronger extractor spring on your bolt. I added the BCM one and have had no problems running steel case day and night. http://www.amazon.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-EX ... B00SIKNIDK

But if not, like the others said, you'll have extraction problems as the steel casing does not expand quite like brass does.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that this was for a mini-14. Well, no experience there, but maybe there's options to get a stronger extractor spring for mini14s as well?

begemot wrote:I've been running this ammo through a mini-14 and two ARs for a couple of years. 0 problems.
It might be worth noting which series you have. The 180-186 Series (upward ejecting) are entirely different creatures from the 187-197 (side ejecting) versions.

The 580-582 series (current series) have heavier barrels and better heat tolerances than its predecessors.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
begemot wrote:I've been running this ammo through a mini-14 and two ARs for a couple of years. 0 problems.
It might be worth noting which series you have. The 180-186 Series (upward ejecting) are entirely different creatures from the 187-197 (side ejecting) versions.

The 580-582 series (current series) have heavier barrels and better heat tolerances than its predecessors.
Good point. I have the current model but I also had a 186 series with keyholing issues unrelated to ammo. No failures using either model with Wolf WPA poly.