Re: Hey Mosin nerds!

Well, I'll be a blue-nosed gopher. I have an extra Mosin receiver and a Molot barrel to ream...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "a Mosin with more recoil" is on my list.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Interesting. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for a couple of years, but it sounds promising- being able to add up to another 8 grains of 4350 gets those things screaming.

Also interesting that the group that was posted was .66" with the custom 308 version- I kind of expected better, but perhaps they just haven't gotten around to updating the website. I did find a couple of threads on the mosinitus forum, but again, nothing since 2014. Definitely an intriguing concept though. Could be even more interesting by necking it down to 7mm for a 7mmx54R Wildcat if you wanted to get real crazy with it. A 7mm-06 with more case capacity.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote:But necking down requires a new barrel. I'd be more in to .338x54R improved on a rebored barrel.
"I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doktor."
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Hrm. But then we're kind of defeating the purpose of the long range build- 250 grain bullets with just a 70 grain capacity- turn it into a more modern 45/70- I was thinking more neck it down and stretch it out- almost turns it into a 7mm Remington magnum.

But yeah, if you wanted to push the limits with an existing barrel, could be fun.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou