Re: Favorite brand of basic rifle ammo?

For my part i don't have a favorite. I'm not a good enough shot for the ammo to make a difference in how accurately I shoot, and I've never had problems with any brand, so I just get whatever happens to be cheapest when I'm shopping for it.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm For my part i don't have a favorite. I'm not a good enough shot for the ammo to make a difference in how accurately I shoot, and I've never had problems with any brand, so I just get whatever happens to be cheapest when I'm shopping for it.
I was gonna post something similar. you've captured my opinions on favorites but I do have a least favorite.

So far, I only shoot .22 rimfire. I've shot CCI, winchester bulk and remingtin golden bullet. Now I can't attest as to the accuracy of these as I can't attest to my own accuracy.

But that remington golden bullet is dirty as heck when I load it. So far when I shoot ill go through at least a few hundred rounds a trip. And I don't notice this with the CCI or the winchester but that Remington ammo just gunks up my fingers. Covers my fingers in gunk. I can only imagine what happens in the rifle. I havent had any really issues with them not firing though. Just gunky buggars.

When I'm through with this box ima never buy them again.

DougMasters wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:58 pm
Eris wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm For my part i don't have a favorite. I'm not a good enough shot for the ammo to make a difference in how accurately I shoot, and I've never had problems with any brand, so I just get whatever happens to be cheapest when I'm shopping for it.
I was gonna post something similar. you've captured my opinions on favorites but I do have a least favorite.

So far, I only shoot .22 rimfire. I've shot CCI, winchester bulk and remingtin golden bullet. Now I can't attest as to the accuracy of these as I can't attest to my own accuracy.

But that remington golden bullet is dirty as heck when I load it. So far when I shoot ill go through at least a few hundred rounds a trip. And I don't notice this with the CCI or the winchester but that Remington ammo just gunks up my fingers. Covers my fingers in gunk. I can only imagine what happens in the rifle. I havent had any really issues with them not firing though. Just gunky buggars.

When I'm through with this box ima never buy them again.
99% of rimfire guys (raises hand) will tell you that REm GB, and ANYTHING Winchester from the last decade, are not worth buying. CCI of any stripe is generally Good Stuff, Blaser is good, plinking ammo, Aguila likewise. If you get into Federal Gold Match or the Eley/Lapua/SK/Wolf stuff, then you are nearing the top - but there is still a dizzying array of really pricey stuff to play with.

Stick with CCI, Blased, Aguila and Federal AutoMatch for plinking and you can't really go wrong. I like the cheaper Eley (yellow box Target) for target work, as it allows me to feel I could do better if I wasn't such a cheapskate. :) That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.