Re: Eargesplitten Loudenboomer!

Ben Kenobi: How long before you make the jump to lightspeed?
Han Solo: It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navicomputer.
Luke Skywalker: [frantic] Are you kidding? At the rate they're gaining—
Han Solo: Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
Luke Skywalker: [points to an alarm on the control panel] What's that flashing?
Han Solo: We're losing our deflector shield! Go strap yourself in, I'm going to make the jump to light speed.
I once had dealings with North Valley Gun Shop's Charlie Clemons. Made me a few guns, he did. He told me a reloading tale. Seems he was messing with those little .223 things you all shoot. He wanted moar speed. So in a Mauser receiver he loaded that sucker to the top--he told me, but luckily I don't remember so some of you yay hoos can't try it.

So he has these hot .223 loads and goes out into the almond orchard to try it--hey: almonds is what we do up here. And almonds make rabbits. So he sees this rabbit out at like 150 meters or so with this warp nine load he's got. He steadies against a tree and draws a bead. Squeezes it off. Rabbit just sits there.

He's all WTF, so he aims again, shoots, rabbit sits there looking around. Nice day it was, apparently. Short story long, he looses another ten rounds, never hits the bunny. He's all pissed. Eventually the rabbit hops away, so Charlie goes out that way to see what there was to see. About twenty yards towards the rabbit's site Charlie finds some shreds of copper.

Yep: he loaded those suckers so hot it stripped the copper jacket off.

Warp factor eight, Mr. Sulu.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

HuckleberryFun wrote:Some of you already know about it, I'm sure, but I just discovered this experimental cartridge from the 60s dubbed the Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It's a .22 bullet seated in a necked down .375 Weatherby. It fell just shy of its 5,000fps goal, but I think it's a winner in the coolness department.

Now if we just had some DU projectiles for it, we could shoot through mountains. :yahoo:
If it's still there when you turn on the light, then you can worry about it
~Grandma~

beaurrr wrote:You got a spare barrel lying around?
Thats what I was thinking. When a swift and 22-250 can reach 4000 fps , and if you dont pace your shots and have due diligence, you can burn up a barrel in a 1000 rounds. At 5000 fps its gotta happen faster. Unless maybe you shoot one round every 5 minutes so the barrel can cool.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

spara wrote:Rock Island seems to be experimenting along those lines with the TCM9r

I spit in the general direction of that cartridge- Had a conversion kit, which functioned as well as could be expected (very sensitive to hand pressure, just like the RIA TCM9, but worked fine), but the "r" designation essentially made it not reloadable, as no commercial bullets were available last year when I tried. (Might have changed by now, but I haven't seen the cartridge take off either) The issue being, to fit into a standard 9mm case, the shortened length requires a special bullet, so none of the normal lines nor was Armscor selling the bullets separately.

That rifle cartridge looks like a screamer though.....
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

CDFingers wrote:
Han Solo: It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navicomputer.
Han Solo: Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
Han Solo: We're losing our deflector shield! Go strap yourself in, I'm going to make the jump to light speed.
I once had dealings with North Valley Gun Shop's Charlie Clemons. Made me a few guns, he did. He told me a reloading tale. Seems he was messing with those little .223 things you all shoot. He wanted moar speed. So in a Mauser receiver he loaded that sucker to the top--he told me, but luckily I don't remember so some of you yay hoos can't try it.

So he has these hot .223 loads and goes out into the almond orchard to try it--hey: almonds is what we do up here. And almonds make rabbits. So he sees this rabbit out at like 150 meters or so with this warp nine load he's got. He steadies against a tree and draws a bead. Squeezes it off. Rabbit just sits there.

He's all WTF, so he aims again, shoots, rabbit sits there looking around. Nice day it was, apparently. Short story long, he looses another ten rounds, never hits the bunny. He's all pissed. Eventually the rabbit hops away, so Charlie goes out that way to see what there was to see. About twenty yards towards the rabbit's site Charlie finds some shreds of copper.

CDFingers
Best use of both Star Wars and Star Trek in a thread.

shinzen wrote:
spara wrote:Rock Island seems to be experimenting along those lines with the TCM9r

I spit in the general direction of that cartridge- Had a conversion kit, which functioned as well as could be expected (very sensitive to hand pressure, just like the RIA TCM9, but worked fine), but the "r" designation essentially made it not reloadable, as no commercial bullets were available last year when I tried. (Might have changed by now, but I haven't seen the cartridge take off either) The issue being, to fit into a standard 9mm case, the shortened length requires a special bullet, so none of the normal lines nor was Armscor selling the bullets separately.

That rifle cartridge looks like a screamer though.....
Looks like just took a jump in ice cold water.. Lol

The round that is, not the author

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:

CDFingers
Some modern solid copper bullets might fare better. Hmmmm...