Re: Berdan-primed cases- can the be converted to boxer prime

It is "possible". There are also other workarounds floating around out there. You can also order berdan primers to reload with, but the process is definitely not as easy as it is with boxer. The berdan primer pocket is slightly larger than a boxer primer pocket, so folks have drilled out the existing berdan pocket with the primer in place with the correct size of drill bit- then the flash hole would need to be drilled out.

Another experiment that I have seen tested at one point on youtube is to remove the anvil from the boxer primer and use superglue to hold the boxer primer in place. Seems pretty sketchy though.

I'd probably lean towards just ordering some brass- you can find it on gun broker in smaller quantities, and if you aren't going for hotrod loads or shooting it a ton, it will last you for quite awhile. But it's also fun to see what's possible- but be careful. Not worth wrecking yourself or a rifle over
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Berdan-primed cases- can the be converted to boxer prime

Marlene wrote:FYI, it's the same base diameter as 220 Swift brass, if you turn the rim off the swift cases. Might have to touch up the extractor groove after that, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Length is close to right. Prolly need to expand the necks in two steps. Annealing might be in order for the conversion. It's not beyond your skills, just a bunch of work.
For a few dozen pieces, this sounds like the way to go. Do this to 40 cases and you have brass for what, 300 shots? 600?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.