Re: A read on .30-06 ammo

a lovely thing, thanks. i wish they'd spent more virtual ink on the '03-'06 switch. i was under the impression it was almost entirely about the change from round-nose to spitzer bullets, but then things are rarely as simple as they seem. fwiw, i load spitzer bullets {surplus m2 ball pulls) in 30-40 krag with zero problems. best of all, occasionally i find tracer bullets in among the surplus. haven't shot any of it, saving it for a special occasion.

i've read some of the official reports on how they tested .45acp in the stockyards of chicago, and it's amazing how they came up with criteria for effectiveness on the fly. this was, i suppose, before they really understood what they were talking about. compared to .38 short and 45 long colt, how far will a side of beef sway when shot with such and such a load? how many shots to the head or body does it take to knock down a live cow? inhumane by today's standards, but then so many things were. they determined, among other things, that a sledgehammer to the forehead was more effective for slaughtering beef than any pistol round.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: A read on .30-06 ammo

Good article. Thanks for sharing. Interesting how the article mentions the supply of surplus ammo drying up as early as the 80’s. I remember when I first got my Garand a few years ago I could still buy Greek surplus from the CMP, but all of that seems to have dried up, too.