Possibly moving to Seattle or thereabouts; Can anyone give me a rundown on gun laws there and in Washington?

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Bang
Chatty

Possibly moving to Seattle or thereabouts; Can anyone give me a rundown on gun laws there and in Washington?

#1 Post by Bang » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm

The title says it all.

awshoot
Been around awhile

Re: Possibly moving to Seattle or thereabouts; Can anyone give me a rundown on gun laws there and in Washington?

#2 Post by awshoot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Terrible, especially with I-1639 that goes into effect July 1. All semi-autos are defined as "semi-automatic assault rifle" ("SAAR") -- yes, that includes the Ruger 10/22. If you buy a SAAR or a handgun, the WA DOL keeps a record of the purchase in perpetuity. By filling out the required state form, you give WA the right to access your medical records forever and WA will do a yearly background check on you. There's a 10 day wait as well. There is a safe storage law to be aware of. We also have a due-process free red flag law. Seattle has basically run all guns shops out of town with abusive taxation.

If you are in to 80% stuff, then you'll likely have to submit to a background check to buy stuff following July 1 due to recent legislation which threatens anyone who aids a prohibited person in making a firearm and where failure to do a BG check is evidence of recklessly assisting that prohibited person. As a result of this law, probably a bad idea to share CAD files or other forms of documentation regarding firearms.

All private sales must go through an FFL. Be very careful about lending firearms -- there are exceptions but without an FFL in the middle, you could run afoul of the law pretty easily.

The not so bad:
You can stay out of DOL's database if you buy a bolt, lever, pump, single action rifle. You get to take it home as soon as you pass the NICS check on these items. You don't have to go register any of the things DOL keeps track of if you already own them -- our registration system is based on point of sale record keeping so it is more of a backdoor registry than a blatant one.

It is a shall issue state for concealed carry (but trade off is that getting a CPL puts you in the DOL's database and intrusive monitoring system).

Mag size restrictions failed this year (but they'll be back).

Here is a link to the statutes regarding firearms -- do check back after July 1 because there are new additions: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.asp ... &full=true

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Possibly moving to Seattle or thereabouts; Can anyone give me a rundown on gun laws there and in Washington?

#3 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Still, you get to live in Seattle, which, despite the rainy weather, is addictive to the folks who live there. Having been there a few times, I can definitely see why folks really love the place. I have two long-time friends who live there. One was my best man and is still my best friend, the other is a friend from high school I reconnected with and it was if we never lost touch!
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Bullitt68
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by Bullitt68 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am

Makes me confused about gun loving liberals being democrats and gun hatings democrats being liberals. Real LIBERALS DON'T Like laws on your body or Personal effects. Or did this get switched up when I wasn't looking?
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

BKinzey
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by BKinzey » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:54 am

Bullitt68 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am
Makes me confused about gun loving liberals being democrats and gun hatings democrats being liberals. Real LIBERALS DON'T Like laws on your body or Personal effects. Or did this get switched up when I wasn't looking?
And conservatives don't like laws on your body unless you are female.

Those generalizations really do work both ways.

Bang
Chatty

#6 Post by Bang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:30 am

awshoot wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 pm
It is a shall issue state for concealed carry (but trade off is that getting a CPL puts you in the DOL's database and intrusive monitoring system).
Is there anything that would stop me from just keeping my Utah CWP?

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am

Bang wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:30 am
awshoot wrote:
I doubt it. The real question is whether Washington State honors a UTAH CWP.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Bang
Chatty

#8 Post by Bang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 am

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am
Bang wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:30 am
awshoot wrote:
I doubt it. The real question is whether Washington State honors a UTAH CWP.
USA Carry thinks they do.

awshoot
Been around awhile

#9 Post by awshoot » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

Here is the published reciprocity list from the Washington State Attorney General: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol ... eciprocity

That raises the question though -- if you move here and become a resident, must you get a CPL in WA?
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.073

Concealed pistol license—Reciprocity.
(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:
(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by kronkmusic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 am

awshoot wrote:Here is the published reciprocity list from the Washington State Attorney General: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol ... eciprocity

That raises the question though -- if you move here and become a resident, must you get a CPL in WA?

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:
(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.
That's usually the case. I know somebody who moved from Tennessee to Florida and doesn't want to change his residency because he doesn't wanna go through the whole CCW process when he can just stay a Tennessee resident and his CCW remains valid here.

Bang
Chatty

#11 Post by Bang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm

kronkmusic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 am
awshoot wrote:Here is the published reciprocity list from the Washington State Attorney General: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol ... eciprocity

That's usually the case. I know somebody who moved from Tennessee to Florida and doesn't want to change his residency because he doesn't wanna go through the whole CCW process when he can just stay a Tennessee resident and his CCW remains valid here.
Unfortunately I won't have that choice, my profession requires an up to date residency to even be able to work.

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by Buck13 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm

awshoot wrote:
Terrible, especially with I-1639 that goes into effect July 1. All semi-autos are defined as "semi-automatic assault rifle" ("SAAR") -- yes, that includes the Ruger 10/22.
What's REALLY ridiculous is that applies to tube-fed magazine .22LRs! Ever time how long it takes to reload one of those?

I'm tempted to sound out legislators who might be willing to remove .22LR from the definition, or at least those with non-removable magazines. I'm not very hopeful that it would work.
Seattle has basically run all guns shops out of town with abusive taxation.
They still have a decent gun counter at Outdoor Emporium downtown. When we were there for my spousal critter to buy her first gun, I asked if the dumb gun tax had hurt their sales and the guy said there was a little dip at first, but he thought it had recovered.

Big5 still stocks rifles and shotguns (or at least, they did a few weeks ago). Right before I-1639 passed, I was in there and asked the gun counter guy and the customer who was there looking at a rifle if they knew that the 10/22s would be "assault weapons" after the election and the inevitable victory of the initiative. Neither had any clue.
Last edited by Buck13 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by Buck13 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 pm
Still, you get to live in Seattle, which, despite the rainy weather, is addictive to the folks who live there. Having been there a few times, I can definitely see why folks really love the place. I have two long-time friends who live there. One was my best man and is still my best friend, the other is a friend from high school I reconnected with and it was if we never lost touch!
Well, it was pretty nice when I moved here 25 years ago! Still kinda nice, but cost of living is way up, traffic is way worse (with slow progress on improving transit, and probably not by the most cost-effective means) and the homeless bike thief/meth addict population is pretty out of hand. The last of these applies only to the city, not the suburbs, though. I'm sure we will leave as soon as we retire.

The weather isn't really much of a problem. It's a little damp and dark in the winter, yeah. The big question is how long until climate change puts the ski areas out of business!

ImageImage

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by Buck13 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Bang wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Unfortunately I won't have that choice, my profession requires an up to date residency to even be able to work.
At least until they change the law (which wouldn't surprise me if it happened at any time, either by legislation or initiative), getting a CPL is dead easy: Pay fee, get background check, SHALL ISSUE. Should take a couple of weeks for processing. When I first applied for mine, at the LGS in the suburbs they sneered that the Seattle police would probably take every day legally allowed before they processed my application, but that was not the case. My first renewal last year went even quicker. Even the lines at the police station to submit the application weren't too bad, at least the three times I've been there.

ImageImage

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#15 Post by eelj » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am

Tubular fed 22s are evil. Wow, obviously written by affluent urbanites.

Bang
Chatty

#16 Post by Bang » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 am

Alright, I've got another question that I think I know the answer to, but I want to ask anyway:

Washington Real ID will take a CPP as a proof of residence, can I use my out of state driver's license as an ID to get an in state CPP? The requirements for the CPP don't say they need a proof of address, can I just tell the Sheriff "I just moved here, this is my address"?