Prioritizing Right Wing Extremism--Not Gun Legislation

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

keenanmj85
Been around awhile

Prioritizing Right Wing Extremism--Not Gun Legislation

#1 Post by keenanmj85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am

Former DHS official Daryl Johnson says political violence could get worse unless the government takes the right steps to mitigate the threat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... zTsKhB5BEQ

Important excerpt:
NBC NEWS: To be clear, are you suggesting that the new administration not pursue any gun control measures?

JOHNSON: Exactly. They should avoid that at all costs. Because all that does is play exactly into what the extremists believe — that Democrats will come after your guns. When you start threatening their guns, they're going to get more defensive and even pre-emptive and more angry and agitated. So I would hold off on that and focus more on community engagement and trying to get these people to renounce QAnon, renounce that the vote was rigged and that there was rampant voter fraud.
Regardless of how those on the left feel about gun control, it makes zero political sense to ram through gun laws once all three wings of lawmaking are controlled by their party. Completely plays into the hands and talking points of the other side and deepens the divide.

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Prioritizing Right Wing Extremism--Not Gun Legislation

#2 Post by DispositionMatrix » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am

keenanmj85 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am Former DHS official Daryl Johnson says political violence could get worse unless the government takes the right steps to mitigate the threat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... zTsKhB5BEQ

Important excerpt:
NBC NEWS: To be clear, are you suggesting that the new administration not pursue any gun control measures?

JOHNSON: Exactly. They should avoid that at all costs. Because all that does is play exactly into what the extremists believe — that Democrats will come after your guns. When you start threatening their guns, they're going to get more defensive and even pre-emptive and more angry and agitated. So I would hold off on that and focus more on community engagement and trying to get these people to renounce QAnon, renounce that the vote was rigged and that there was rampant voter fraud.
Regardless of how those on the left feel about gun control, it makes zero political sense to ram through gun laws once all three wings of lawmaking are controlled by their party. Completely plays into the hands and talking points of the other side and deepens the divide.
He might be correct, but former DHS official Daryl Johnson has no say in what agenda The Party pursues. Firearm prohibition is inseparable from party orthodoxy. The extreme right is not going to "renounce" anything, and there is going to be little will among Democrats in power to engage when it's their prerogative to punish.

keenanmj85
Been around awhile

#3 Post by keenanmj85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 am

This gentleman may not have a say over the party platform but he is lending an important piece of analysis in regards to how gun legislation and combating right wing extremism are connected. Democrats have made it clear that both are priorities, but simultaneously they are counterproductive.
there is going to be little will among Democrats in power to engage when it's their prerogative to punish.
It is their prerogative, but not in their political interest. And that is my point, if they cannot tackle both of these issues simultaneously, which I believe they cannot, which is the more pressing concern and how do they prioritize that to do the most to gain political capital? I believe at the moment that comes with fighting extremism, not guns.

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by DispositionMatrix » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 am

keenanmj85 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 am This gentleman may not have a say over the party platform but he is lending an important piece of analysis in regards to how gun legislation and combating right wing extremism are connected. Democrats have made it clear that both are priorities, but simultaneously they are counterproductive.
there is going to be little will among Democrats in power to engage when it's their prerogative to punish.
It is their prerogative, but not in their political interest. And that is my point, if they cannot tackle both of these issues simultaneously, which I believe they cannot, which is the more pressing concern and how do they prioritize that to do the most to gain political capital? I believe at the moment that comes with fighting extremism, not guns.
The Party simply won't agree. Both parties have a history of legislating from emotion.

keenanmj85
Been around awhile

#5 Post by keenanmj85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 am

I believe we agree on the premise: both parties legislate from emotion to capitalize the most prominent whims of their constituency. In liberal circles I am hearing much more vitriol directed at the extremists rather than the guns they carry and it would be a wasted political opportunity for them to lose sight of that. Politicians are loyal to the party and the platform, but first and foremost they are loyal to their own self preservation. I am not saying they will do it, just that It is in their best political interest to do so

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by lurker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am

we know that, but some of the dems in power or soon to be don't know, don't care, aren't listening. i don't know how to fix that. even this DHS guy doesn't get it, he's just talking from political expedience in the moment.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by highdesert » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:03 am

Johnson is right, but trying to talk these people out of believing in their conspiracies is impossible. Democrats hold the trifecta but it is tenuous - they have a small majority in the House and any gun bans and purple district Democrats would abandon them. And they'll hold the Senate by one vote, so almost everything can be filibustered unless they abolish the filibuster.
Last edited by highdesert on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by sikacz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am

This point has been brought up many times here. I’m glad it’s starting to appear outside our circle. It won’t change anything yet. The dems are failing to see their plank is flawed just like they are failing to see there is a liberal, democrat, left that is embracing the second. The leadership is out of touch demonstrated by the legislation they have chosen to start off with, gun legislation. I believe the gun plank is not as large as the party leadership believes, but that won’t matter. It’s proponents have framed the questions and interpreted the meanings. There has not been a meaningful effort to educate the public on these efforts and how and if they work or what they actually achieve. There is CDC data statistics that clearly indicate that deaths by gun use is not the pandemic the everytown crew claims. Until there is a populace that accepts evidence based arguments we will continue to have these emotion based bills shoved at us as solutions. And we will waste time in courts and the focus will remain away from the issues that really should be addressed, healthcare, a social safety net, equality, education and more. Many of which if addressed would do more to reduce incidence of violence than what is being pushed. I’m not hopeful, the turd in the white house and the republican party was a danger that allowed the democrat establishment to push their chosen candidates. Both are decidedly anti gun and anti second. On this issue they are absolutely authoritarian. In short, It sucks.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

keenanmj85
Been around awhile

#9 Post by keenanmj85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 am

I'm not arguing against the institutionalization of the platform, but I also don't think that the electorate is helpless in reshaping it. That can be done by arguing to change the platform, which is a generally losing battle, or to shift the areas of emphasis, which alters the general orientation; sometimes the best way to get things to happen is to talk about them, sometimes the best way to get things to not happen is to not talk about them. That is how magicians work their craft; pay attention to this thing over here while what I am really focused on accomplishing is over there.