Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

Looks like HB2276 now tentatively has bipartisan support in the state senate. Now it is in the finance committee.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... val=HB2276
Manufacture, import, sale, transfer, or possession of plastic firearms and unfinished frames or receivers and unserialized firearms; penalties. Creates a Class 5 felony for any person who manufactures, imports, sells, transfers, or possesses any firearm that, after removal of all parts other than a major component, as defined in the bill, is not detectable as a firearm by the types of detection devices, including X-ray machines, commonly used at airports for security screening. The bill updates language regarding the types of detection devices that are used at airports for detecting plastic firearms.

K9s wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 am I think leftist means something different than you think leftist means. You seem to be going with a more VA right-wing definition of leftist (anti-2A, soft on crime, pro-caravan, etc.). Leftists like 2A rights. The Black Panther Party was leftist, not specifically liberal, for example. Republicans like guns for white Republicans. They aren't really pro-2A. They are pro-terror and pro-Klan.
The Black Panther Party was leftist, true...and that was back in the 1960's. That's like how the Republicans sometimes like to say, "MLK Jr. was a Republican!" Yes, he was...back in the early 1960's before the Southern Strategy. Things have changed yet again since then, and *today's* Democrats in VA are now leftists who indeed do want to strip us of our rights, especially the right to defend ourselves. The general leftist political indoctrination I've seen in our schools was downright scary (I worked in a school system here and saw this first-hand in the classrooms). Virtually all teachers in that district are Democrats, leftist, and anti-2A. Same people who called Barack Obama pretty much everything but the N-word as he started winning; those people are still there today. They're not liberals anymore; I wish they were.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

keenanmj85 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:56 am
K9s wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 am I think leftist means something different than you think leftist means. You seem to be going with a more VA right-wing definition of leftist (anti-2A, soft on crime, pro-caravan, etc.). Leftists like 2A rights. The Black Panther Party was leftist, not specifically liberal, for example. Republicans like guns for white Republicans. They aren't really pro-2A. They are pro-terror and pro-Klan.
I would agree that the Democrats occupying the state house do not resemble, to me, leftists as much as they do pretty typical Democrats. My family is still all in Virginia and are all civically active, so I get a pretty good dose of VA politics. I think that on the whole it is a really good thing for the state. Charlottesville shined a light on the continuing systemic racism of the state and the Democratic legislature is doing great things for the LGBTQ community, particularly with kids and schools. However, when it comes to guns...Moms Demand Action is pretty popular among the stay-at-home crowd, of which there are many precisely because of the tech boom in NoVA and the increasing wealth in the state. I see VA becoming more restrictive on the gun front as the state becomes more blue. Leftists, many of these individuals are not. Despite January 6th, despite Charlottesville, despite the rising militia movement in rural parts of the state...I don't get it.
If that's the case, then these Democrats should absolutely, lock-step, be in favor of the RKBA! Protect yourself from Charlottesville-style racists? Heck, yeah. That's exactly what my Dad did all those times, protect himself from what we would now call Charlottesville-style racists. Not sure about other people, but personally, I think that is a Very Good Thing!

But the Dems are *not* in favor of the RKBA--quite the opposite. They're doing everything they can to make us like California, Maryland, New York, etc., and that's bad news. Nikki Stallard calls it, "Victim Disarmament", and as we all know, "VD kills."

DispositionMatrix wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 am The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors will be having a hearing on 3/2 on banning firearms in publicly-owned buildings. The board consists of 6 Democrats and 3 Republicans. Any proposed restrictions are likely to pass.
It is hard for me to feel bad about banning firearms in publicly-owned buildings. I am pretty sure that is the law here in Georgia, and we have some of the most lax firearms laws in the country. Carry is banned in government buildings, schools, churches, etc. here (Ga. Code Ann. §16-11-127).

Smoking and vaping are banned in nearly every building imaginable. Most private companies and federal buildings don't allow firearms in the parking lot in your own car. But I can take a concealed firearm to some non-work and non-government buildings.

I honestly cannot imagine why an open carry rifle or pistol in a state capitol building is a necessary freedom. That might seem like a good idea to Reps when Dems control the statehouse in Michigan or Virginia, but just try that in Georgia if you don't agree with the Republican governor (oh, they tried that recently, and the Natl Guard swarmed the building and kept everyone out). Ask the Black Panthers how that works out when a Republican is in charge and tell me about California gun laws again.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 am The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors will be having a hearing on 3/2 on banning firearms in publicly-owned buildings. The board consists of 6 Democrats and 3 Republicans. Any proposed restrictions are likely to pass.
It is hard for me to feel bad about banning firearms in publicly-owned buildings. I am pretty sure that is the law here in Georgia, and we have some of the most lax firearms laws in the country. Carry is banned in government buildings, schools, churches, etc. here (Ga. Code Ann. §16-11-127).

Smoking and vaping are banned in nearly every building imaginable. Most private companies and federal buildings don't allow firearms in the parking lot in your own car. But I can take a concealed firearm to some non-work and non-government buildings.

I honestly cannot imagine why an open carry rifle or pistol in a state capitol building is a necessary freedom. That might seem like a good idea to Reps when Dems control the statehouse in Michigan or Virginia, but just try that in Georgia if you don't agree with the Republican governor (oh, they tried that recently, and the Natl Guard swarmed the building and kept everyone out). Ask the Black Panthers how that works out when a Republican is in charge and tell me about California gun laws again.
Publicly owned can mean housing projects. This would mean anyone living in public housing would not have the right to self defense. This is an absolute NO for me.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Publicly owned can mean housing projects. This would mean anyone living in public housing would not have the right to self defense. This is an absolute NO for me.
I think we are looking at this from two different perspectives. The 2A is constantly restricted for non-white and poor gun owners. When white gun owners can take rifles into a capitol building but restrictions are proposed, they rally and tweet and livestream and fundraise and politicians stand by them with bullhorns. The NRA doesn't rally support and lawyers if a middle-class POC wants a concealed carry permit.

Expect more restrictions on the 2A unless the 2A is applied equally. Expect Dems to push gun control when their constituents are not protected. Expect Dems to push gun control while armed and threatening white gun owners are allowed to run loose in state capitols like the Klan of old. This is why we can't have nice things.

A ban in publicly owned buildings is just another reason to arrest poor people. There are more "reasons" that they already use. We need systemic change, or 2A rights will be restricted for everyone.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:14 pm

I think we are looking at this from two different perspectives. The 2A is constantly restricted for non-white and poor gun owners. When white gun owners can take rifles into a capitol building but restrictions are proposed, they rally and tweet and livestream and fundraise and politicians stand by them with bullhorns. The NRA doesn't rally support and lawyers if a middle-class POC wants a concealed carry permit.

Expect more restrictions on the 2A unless the 2A is applied equally. Expect Dems to push gun control when their constituents are not protected. Expect Dems to push gun control while armed and threatening white gun owners are allowed to run loose in state capitols like the Klan of old. This is why we can't have nice things.

A ban in publicly owned buildings is just another reason to arrest poor people. There are more "reasons" that they already use. We need systemic change, or 2A rights will be restricted for everyone.
Your point is exactly why I can’t go along. The poor get excluded.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

K9s wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:14 pm

That's exactly why such a ban is such bad news. I'm that very racial minority. That means if you go into the VA State ABC store to pick up, say, some Amaretto or Grand Marnier, that's a "publicly owned building" for purposes of the law--I can't legally carry anymore. That's nonsense. It would also stop me from carry in, say, city/county buildings where they haven't put up inane gun control already (e. g. Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, and possibly Loudoun). I used to carry in our County building all the time, usually concealed, just to keep discreet. I'm hoping that those who think this is somehow "OK" understand that they're essentially advocating for codifying Jim Crow. And it's primarily White Democrats who are doing it!

CowboyT wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:01 pm
That's exactly why such a ban is such bad news. I'm that very racial minority. That means if you go into the VA State ABC store to pick up, say, some Amaretto or Grand Marnier, that's a "publicly owned building" for purposes of the law--I can't legally carry anymore. That's nonsense. It would also stop me from carry in, say, city/county buildings where they haven't put up inane gun control already (e. g. Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, and possibly Loudoun). I used to carry in our County building all the time, usually concealed, just to keep discreet. I'm hoping that those who think this is somehow "OK" understand that they're essentially advocating for codifying Jim Crow. And it's primarily White Democrats who are doing it!
In their defense, it is mostly white Republicans on the other side.

I've come to the conclusion that, regardless of the issue (abortion, guns, environment, etc), this happens a lot. The voices with the loudest bullhorns are usually white and often wealthy.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 pm

I've come to the conclusion that, regardless of the issue (abortion, guns, environment, etc), this happens a lot. The voices with the loudest bullhorns are usually white and often wealthy.
Somewhere in the background is bloomie...

K9s wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 pm

White Republicans have their faults, for sure, but they aren't the ones putting forth the gun ban bills/laws here in VA and attacking my 2A rights. White Democrats are.

The patchwork continues.

Firearms will soon be banned from public property in Petersburg
PETERSBURG - Gun owners should be aware that Petersburg will no longer allow firearms to be carried in any public areas within the city.

The language of a law passed by Petersburg City Council Tuesday night bans firearms from being carried in city buildings, public parks, city-owned recreation or community centers and any public street, road, alley, sidewalk or any place open to the public. Exceptions to these rules are law enforcement officers acting on sworn duty and armed security personnel acting on a contract with the city.

The idea for this new law was first introduced by Ward 4 Councilor Charlie Cuthbert in July, shortly after longtime city resident Willie Noise III was killed in a shooting at the city-owned Patton Park. Noise was a well-known community activist who was also a constant public voice at city council meetings.

From the article.
As of July 1, 2021, localities in Virginia were given the power to enact local ordinances forbidding firearms on government property.
It will probably be challenged in state court. VA has an election in November for statewide offices and the legislature and gun control is probably an issue.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan