Re: Secret gun provision in Obamacare

There is nothing secret about this provision. The text of the bill was publicly available while it was being debated in congress.

This provision has been discussed in the public sphere before and can be demonstrated with a Google search. Search for: "Protection of second amendment gun rights" "affordable care act" Set the time limits to start and end in 2010 and get 9 full results plus a bunch of "omitted". There are also results in 2009, 2011 and 2012 (all year long). I've checked the results, there is garbage in there but some of them are news articles published in the years I've just mentioned.

Our government engages in secret activities all the time, some of them infringing on the principles that are the foundations of this country. This specific clause ain't one of them.

That being said, this provision impedes research. That's bad. I also cannot see how this wouldn't run afoul of a constitutional challenge on the basis of free speech, namely the free speech of doctors. That's what happened in Florida with their state law. That law prevented doctors from asking. Here it prevents doctors from recording. Writing is speech, and so on and so forth.
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right. -- MLK

It was tongue in cheek- the provision is obviously public information, it's just getting news again in the wake of Newtown. I do find it interesting that the person who put the amendment in was Harry Reid- effective way to keep the NRA out of the health care debate.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

If they were asking about wood stoves & carbon monoxide detectors, garden chemicals & safe storage, stairs & railings, and use of car seats along with the gun questions, I'd call it legit. If the weapons thing stood alone,
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.