Democratic senator proposes bill to export Massachusetts gun prohibition to other states

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index. ... s_20m.html
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Ed Markey, D-Massachusetts, is proposing a bill that would offer $20 million annually for five years in incentive money for states that bring their gun licensing standards in line with those in Massachusetts, which are among the strictest in the country.

"Our gun safety bills are a model for other states, and I believe for the U.S. Congress to follow," Markey said, flanked by police officials at a Monday press conference at the Boston Police Department headquarters.

Massachusetts has the lowest rate of deaths from gun violence in the country. Advocates for gun control attribute this to the state's strict gun laws, which include a ban on assault weapons and strict licensing standards.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Democratic senator proposes bill to export Massachusetts gun prohibition to other states

DougMasters wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am The strict licensing standards I can buy,...
I would have a problem with them:
  • RKBA is nullified in the state. There is no "right" even to own a firearm of any kind without government permission.
  • That government permission comes or does not come after being interviewed by your local constabulary after applying. You are fingerprinted and--in the case of an LTC--have to give what the issuing authority deems is a good reason not to be restricted from carry. It's worth noting you submit those prints into a system rife with corruption. There is almost no end to the dirtbaggery found in Massachusetts PDs and the state police.
  • The wait can be as long as the issuing authority wants it to be, regardless of any legal constraints. Laws are for you, not them.
  • Individual fiefdoms can have their own additional requirements, such a writing an essay explaining why you should be granted the privilege of owning a firearm.
  • Denials for the privilege of owning a firearm can be completely arbitrary. The burden is on you to go to court if you do not like the result of, say, an FID denial. Massachusetts judges are not partial to the idea the serfs can be legally armed. Good luck.
  • Your chance of getting an LTC or an unrestricted LTC varies by town.
Some people sail through the onerous process, and some do not.

Re: Democratic senator proposes bill to export Massachusetts gun prohibition to other states

Wait, MA has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and one of the lowest rate of gun violence, yet it is next to NH, which has non-restrictive gun laws.

Yet, Chicago has even stricter gun laws and one of the highest gun murder rates in the country, yet that's blames on neighboring states' lax gun laws.

I don't get it.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm
DougMasters wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am The strict licensing standards I can buy,...
  • RKBA is nullified in the state. There is no "right" even to own a firearm of any kind without government permission.
  • That government permission comes or does not come after being interviewed by your local constabulary after applying. You are fingerprinted and--in the case of an LTC--have to give what the issuing authority deems is a good reason not to be restricted from carry. It's worth noting you submit those prints into a system rife with corruption. There is almost no end to the dirtbaggery found in Massachusetts PDs and the state police.
  • The wait can be as long as the issuing authority wants it to be, regardless of any legal constraints. Laws are for you, not them.
  • Individual fiefdoms can have their own additional requirements, such a writing an essay explaining why you should be granted the privilege of owning a firearm.
  • Denials for the privilege of owning a firearm can be completely arbitrary. The burden is on you to go to court if you do not like the result of, say, an FID denial. Massachusetts judges are not partial to the idea the serfs can be legally armed. Good luck.
I shoulda been less clumsy with my comment.

I meant I could "buy" the idea that they have an impact on the gun death numbers in the state, vs their ban on the scary rifles having none.

I agree with your entire list as my personal issues with their restrictions.

DougMasters wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm
I shoulda been less clumsy with my comment.

I meant I could "buy" the idea that they have an impact on the gun death numbers in the state, vs their ban on the scary rifles having none.

I agree with your entire list as my personal issues with their restrictions.
My guess is "gun death numbers" have nothing to do with licensing. MA is big on various forms of public assistance, public education, and helping people meeting certain criteria get higher education. In other words they're doing _some_ of that root cause mitigation to which many here often refer. The state is lifting enough boats to essentially buy their way out of higher rates of violent crime. You get that for which you pay.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm My guess is "gun death numbers" have nothing to do with licensing. MA is big on various forms of public assistance, public education, and helping people meeting certain criteria get higher education. In other words they're doing _some_ of that root cause mitigation to which many here often refer. The state is lifting enough boats to essentially buy their way out of higher rates of violent crime. You get that for which you pay.
:thanks: This is such a maddening false correlation to hear from liberal politicians: "It must be our illogical patchwork of draconian and ineffective gun laws! It couldn't be all the other actually beneficial things in the liberal policy portfolio, nope!" It's liberalism failing to take credit for its successes and assigning that success to the most failed, most illiberal policies they have pushed.
Morale was deteriorating and it was all Yossarian's fault. The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them.

Fnords wrote:
DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm My guess is "gun death numbers" have nothing to do with licensing. MA is big on various forms of public assistance, public education, and helping people meeting certain criteria get higher education. In other words they're doing _some_ of that root cause mitigation to which many here often refer. The state is lifting enough boats to essentially buy their way out of higher rates of violent crime. You get that for which you pay.
:thanks: This is such a maddening false correlation to hear from liberal politicians: "It must be our illogical patchwork of draconian and ineffective gun laws! It couldn't be all the other actually beneficial things in the liberal policy portfolio, nope!" It's liberalism failing to take credit for its successes and assigning that success to the most failed, most illiberal policies they have pushed.
Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Boston Globe has issued an opinion piece touting the idea of Massachusetts being the model for the nation in which the editorial board demonstrates its lack of knowledge of what it wants banned.
SEVEN STEPS. 27,000 LIVES.
Yet the death rate in Massachusetts is low not just because of good hospitals and favorable demographics, but also because our laws foster a more careful coexistence with guns.

Our laws could and should go further, but they recognize this much: Focusing on the cause of death — the weapons — is the best chance we have to keep more people alive.
In their justification for the Massachusetts EOPSS list and secret AG's list, the authors came up with this:
Going forward, legislators should mandate two basic safety features that could save many lives now lost because users think the guns are unloaded. First, require that firearms be designed so that they cannot be fired when the magazine is not attached. Second, require load indicators, which show when the gun is loaded and when it is empty.
God in Heaven.

The also want to end private sales, mandate the state's idea of safe storage, remove the restriction against the CDC advocating for gun prohibition, ban what they call "assault weapons."

Markey: If Dems win House, gun legislation can move ahead
"I'm going to have a lot more allies after next Tuesday in the United States House, and hopefully the Senate," Markey told reporters. "I think it's inevitable that the whole country realizes that it makes sense that every police chief in America determines who can purchase a gun in their city or town. We do that in Massachusetts. We need to do it across the whole country. I think it's going to be hard to vote against police chiefs determining who has guns in our country."

Markey spoke at an unveiling event for a Stop Handgun Violence billboard on the side of the 50 Dalton St. parking garage in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood.

The billboard bears an image of Joaquin Oliver, one of the students killed in the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida, alongside the messages "If I had attended high school in Massachusetts instead of Parkland Florida, I would likely be alive today" and "Gun laws save lives.

Dems when they control the House can propose and pass whatever bills they like including gun control, but it will hit a brick wall in the Senate. Reps voted many times to repeal ACA and never got it through the Senate. Markey's rhetoric is meant for his constituents.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:44 am
atxgunguy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm "You may all go to Hell, I will go to Texas."
:love: In Texas I intend to stay and no thanks, I love Texas gun laws as they are.
Y’all get my vote.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,