Democratic New York governor pushes for yet more gun restrictions

Gun control: What Governor Andrew Cuomo wants to do next in New York
ALBANY -- New York would extend the background check waiting period to purchase a firearm from three days to 10 days under a proposal backed Sunday by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo's support of the change, which has already passed the Democratic-led Assembly, would be an expansion of the state's SAFE Act, the gun-control law passed in 2013.
Somehow that was not enough. What a shock.
"It is time for politicians to stand up and create real action and policy change," Cuomo, who is seeking re-election in November, said in a statement.

Re: Democratic New York governor pushes for yet more gun restrictions

DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm
featureless wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 pm Hey look, the democrats are shooting themselves in the foot again.
Maybe, but the bill already has passed the assembly.
Yes, it will likely pass. My point is that the dem party will waste the political capital it gained by the recent "do something" movement by adding gun regs on top of gun regs on top of bans on top of gun regs to the point that they will overshoot the current conservative good will that sort of supports "doing something, it's for the children" by piling on (like they always do) and end up trounced in the midterms over something that isn't effective anyway (we are actively proving the gun gun grabber meme). If you're going to risk blowing your political capital, let's not do it on extending a waiting period from 3 days to 10. Fucking stupid. Just my opinion, of course.

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:30 pm
featureless wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 pm Hey look, the democrats are shooting themselves in the foot again.
Yes, it will likely pass. My point is that the dem party will waste the political capital it gained by the recent "do something" movement by adding gun regs on top of gun regs on top of bans on top of gun regs to the point that they will overshoot the current conservative good will that sort of supports "doing something, it's for the children" by piling on (like they always do) and end up trounced in the midterms over something that isn't effective anyway (we are actively proving the gun gun grabber meme). If you're going to risk blowing your political capital, let's not do it on extending a waiting period from 3 days to 10. Fucking stupid. Just my opinion, of course.
The Democrats in New York will be just fine. Punishing gun owners plays well with the state's population and has never been as in vogue as it is now. I would not be surprised if the New York Assembly came up with more restrictive bills almost immediately.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

I found the proposal to extend the waiting period curious. We don't have a waiting period in NY. Until, I thought that what they want to do is extend the time to investigate a hold on a background check. Maybe that isn't the aim, but there is no waiting period in NY so I don't what else that proposal refers to. If I am right NY can pass whatever it wants, but this is a matter of federal law and they have jurisdiction.
One of the provisions, and screw ups, in the SAFE Act required that background checks must be performed for ammunition buyers. After the law was signed the FBI told NY, "That's nice you develop your own database it is a violation of federal law to run a NICS check for other than a firearm transfer." Supposedly the state police have been directed to develop a database for ammunition sales, but it hasn't gone on line yet and I doubt it will.

featureless wrote:
Exactly.

But Democrats wouldn’t be Democrats if they didn’t betray all odds and bottle yet another election cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk