Florida law and artists, promoters clash over firearms at Clearwater amphitheater

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

Florida law and artists, promoters clash over firearms at Clearwater amphitheater

Post by DispositionMatrix »

Clearwater may not be able to ban guns at its new waterfront amphitheater
CLEARWATER — In February, an estimated crowd of over 13,000 attended the city’s annual two-day Sea-Blues Festival at Coachman Park. Residents with concealed carry permits were allowed, as they are at every event at the public park, to carry guns into the festival.

The Clearwater Police Department reported no major incidents involving guns, or any other weapons.

Those who wished to legally arm themselves at the festival were able to do so because of how Clearwater interprets Florida law. In 2011, the Legislature passed an expansive measure which prohibited local governments from regulating the possession of guns.
Some acts and promoters don't like it and have contracts that stipulate firearms be banned.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Florida law and artists, promoters clash over firearms at Clearwater amphitheater

Post by kronkmusic »

DispositionMatrix wrote:Clearwater may not be able to ban guns at its new waterfront amphitheater
CLEARWATER — In February, an estimated crowd of over 13,000 attended the city’s annual two-day Sea-Blues Festival at Coachman Park. Residents with concealed carry permits were allowed, as they are at every event at the public park, to carry guns into the festival.

The Clearwater Police Department reported no major incidents involving guns, or any other weapons.

Those who wished to legally arm themselves at the festival were able to do so because of how Clearwater interprets Florida law. In 2011, the Legislature passed an expansive measure which prohibited local governments from regulating the possession of guns.
Some acts and promoters don't like it and have contracts that stipulate firearms be banned.
Which I totally get, after what happened to Pantera and Eagles of Death Metal, I completely understand artists feeling uneasy about a bunch of people bringing guns into concert venues. I still go to a fair number of concerts, my girl loves them. Most of the time I don't worry about concealed carrying, but when we go to something in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale or Miami's Bayfront, where walking downtown city streets at night is necessary to attend the event, I get a little uneasy. It's not the other concert goers I'm generally worried about, it's the mentally ill and criminally violent/opportunistic people walking the streets at all hours of the night, like in any major city. My pepper spray and a flashlight always stay on me regardless, same with my girl, and she normally hides a pocket knife in her bra just in case. She was assaulted in downtown Fort Lauderdale several years ago and almost got murdered, so she understandably doesn't like to take chances with her safety.

I really do understand both sides of it, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Florida law and artists, promoters clash over firearms at Clearwater amphitheater

Post by Mandaliberal »

I went to barbecue fest or something last year with a coworker in St Pete and I believe I wasn’t allowed to carry at the event which was in a park I believe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

I really do understand both sides of it, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
I do too, but I gotta say since I’ve been carrying my thoughts have “evolved”...there’s a shopping plaza that has signs stating “no weapons” but I know there was a shooting at the movie theatre there, so why the fuck would I not carry? It’s such a mind fuck, like places where alcohol is served, I get it but then what if some drunk fuck decides he wants to settle shit with his gun (and also didn’t leave it in his car)? At the event I went too, I don’t remember being checked but it stated “no weapons” too...so what’s the point? None of this is directed towards you, just talking...

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

if there's real security, then sure, keep folks from carrying -- especially those doing it illegally. putting a sign up and calling it a day is stupid

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

Mandaliberal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 pm
I do too, but I gotta say since I’ve been carrying my thoughts have “evolved”...there’s a shopping plaza that has signs stating “no weapons” but I know there was a shooting at the movie theatre there, so why the fuck would I not carry? It’s such a mind fuck, like places where alcohol is served, I get it but then what if some drunk fuck decides he wants to settle shit with his gun (and also didn’t leave it in his car)? At the event I went too, I don’t remember being checked but it stated “no weapons” too...so what’s the point? None of this is directed towards you, just talking...

Luckily in Florida those "no guns" signs aren't worth the paper they're printed on, so carry away and know you're doing so completely legally, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. Personally, I don't like leaving my gun in the car if it's at all avoidable, that's probably about as unsecured as your firearm will ever be unless you have a pretty serious safe securely bolted down inside your vehicle, and even then cars themselves are not that hard to steal (not that I would know). Without any statistics in front of me, or any desire to go hunting for them, I'd wager a fairly large bet that more firearms are stolen from vehicles than anywhere else. Plus theft from vehicles is much more a crime of opportunity than say home burglary, which is mostly targeted because somebody is being a dumbass and showing off/bragging about all their expensive shit.

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

To Kronk

Yeah, I wanna say I read that most stolen firearms are from cars. I actually do have a safe in my car for when I worked at a hospital and felt relatively safe my car wasn’t going to be stolen. I just keep it in my bag now because I’m a delivery driver (temporary, hopefully) & my car is never out of my sight. I do remember my ccw instructor saying that places that have signs that say no guns or whatever signs have to be placed clearly but all they can do is ask you to leave or to put it in your vehicle. My brother and I were talking/laughing today about Bass pro shops asking to check guns with customer service...I’m not even in your store that long...

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

senorgrand wrote:if there's real security, then sure, keep folks from carrying -- especially those doing it illegally. putting a sign up and calling it a day is stupid
Exactly, if there’s police presence or security even, no problem (I guess) but if you’re gonna post a sign then not search or check? Fuck that!

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

If I remember correctly, that sign at Bass Pro Shops is referring to guns carried in to the store in a case/bag/etc. for use on their indoor range, selling it in the pro shop, exchanging it, warranty service, that kinda stuff. Last time I was at the one down here I distinctly remember a sign saying they respect your right to carry concealed or something to that effect, but I haven't been there in awhile so I could be mistaken.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

Mandaliberal wrote:
senorgrand wrote:if there's real security, then sure, keep folks from carrying -- especially those doing it illegally. putting a sign up and calling it a day is stupid
Exactly, if there’s police presence or security even, no problem (I guess) but if you’re gonna post a sign then not search or check? Fuck that!

Yeah I couldn't agree more. Like I said in Florida those signs mean precisely fuck all, but in many other states they do carry the weight of law. "Hey, let's potentially turn our everyday customers into criminals while doing absolutely nothing to prevent actual violent criminals from harming our customers or employees."

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

kronkmusic wrote:If I remember correctly, that sign at Bass Pro Shops is referring to guns carried in to the store in a case/bag/etc. for use on their indoor range, selling it in the pro shop, exchanging it, warranty service, that kinda stuff. Last time I was at the one down here I distinctly remember a sign saying they respect your right to carry concealed or something to that effect, but I haven't been there in awhile so I could be mistaken.
You could be right...I never went to one until I moved close to the one in Brandon & only went there looking for ammo. I recall exactly this much of the sign “please check firearms with ...” & “we respect your right to carry...”, which means I never read it thoroughly or at all until maybe the third time I went there! So you’re probably right...

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

Yeah I couldn't agree more. Like I said in Florida those signs mean precisely fuck all, but in many other states they do carry the weight of law. "Hey, let's potentially turn our everyday customers into criminals while doing absolutely nothing to prevent actual violent criminals from harming our customers or employees."
As I said my thoughts on this changed for sure. I get wanting gun free zones & businesses not wanting weapons in their stores but if only law abiding citizens give a shit about abiding by the law then what’s the point? This is exactly why I support concealed over open carry...no one has to know or see what you’re carrying & can go about their business.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

California is the same way - signs don't carry weight. I carry pretty much everywhere I legally can, and always if out with my wife or daughter. The world has gone a bit topsy-turvy and one just never knows.

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

featureless wrote:California is the same way - signs don't carry weight. I carry pretty much everywhere I legally can, and always if out with my wife or daughter. The world has gone a bit topsy-turvy and one just never knows.
One of the reasons I started to carry...plus, you know, Florida is topsy turvey Image. So let me ask you, an actual Californian...can you conceal carry while driving? Can you conceal carry a loaded gun? I only hear about California gun laws from people who don’t live there & they almost always have a negative view of California to begin with...

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Mandaliberal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:15 pm
featureless wrote:California is the same way - signs don't carry weight. I carry pretty much everywhere I legally can, and always if out with my wife or daughter. The world has gone a bit topsy-turvy and one just never knows.
One of the reasons I started to carry...plus, you know, Florida is topsy turvey Image. So let me ask you, an actual Californian...can you conceal carry while driving? Can you conceal carry a loaded gun? I only hear about California gun laws from people who don’t live there & they almost always have a negative view of California to begin with...

California permits are issued by the County sheriff and are subject to "good cause" determination. Some sheriffs will issue for self defense, some require varying degrees of good cause (travel remote areas, carry cash, etc.), And some don't issue for any cause. It's a pretty arbitrary way to regulate a right and has been the subject of more than one lawsuit. If you can obtain a permit, federal exclusions on where you can carry apply plus some California restrictions (schools and bars, primarily). I can carry loaded in my car, just not on post office property. :)

The former sheriff didn't believe law abiding citizens could be trusted, so I had no ability to carry for 20 years. We got a new sheriff who feels differently so I applied last year and got my permit. It's nice to have the local LEO not start from the perspective that every citizen is a latent criminal that can't be trusted.