ATF prohibiting FFLs in Michigan from accepting CPL in lieu of BG check

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

ATF prohibiting FFLs in Michigan from accepting CPL in lieu of BG check

Post by DispositionMatrix »

ATF really wants to prevent marijuana users from buying a gun in Michigan
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) issued a new advisory to Michigan gun dealers this week, saying they are now prohibited from accepting a state concealed pistol license in lieu of a federal background check. Under the former policy, some disqualified residents were still able to buy a gun.

According to the advisory, some gun dealers were issuing concealed pistol licenses to people “without a determination by Michigan officials as to whether the applicant is prohibited under Federal law from possessing or transporting firearms.”

“Specifically, ATF learned that CPLs were and continue to be issued to applicants who were likely prohibited due to a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence… and to habitual marijuana users,” the advisory says. “Although possession and use of marijuana is not unlawful under Michigan law, marijuana remains a ‘controlled substance’ under Federal law, and those using marijuana are prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm.”
This is what we get for having bureaucracies that can issue edicts that have the force of law.

ThereAreDozensOfUs
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: ATF prohibiting FFLs in Michigan from accepting CPL in lieu of BG check

Post by ThereAreDozensOfUs »

What a terribly written article. The author makes the incorrect assumption that dealers are responsible for issuing CPLs
According to the advisory, some gun dealers were issuing concealed pistol licenses to people “without a determination by Michigan officials as to whether the applicant is prohibited under Federal law from possessing or transporting firearms.”

“Specifically, ATF learned that CPLs were and continue to be issued to applicants who were likely prohibited due to a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence… and to habitual marijuana users,” the advisory says.
County Clerks in MI issue CPLs. If there's a failure it's likely at the county level. Every time I've purchased a firearm, I've presented my MI CPL, the gun shop runs a background check, I fill out the paperwork and we're done.

Regardless, we need Bernie to get elected and issue his Executive Order to legalize.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

It is pretty strange that some states decriminalize cannabis but companies still drug test (and fire) and users cannot buy firearms. Some companies will not hire nicotine users, either, and they test for it.

Alcohol? No one asks. No one cares.

Strange country.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

K9s wrote:It is pretty strange that some states decriminalize cannabis but companies still drug test (and fire) and users cannot buy firearms. Some companies will not hire nicotine users, either, and they test for it.

Alcohol? No one asks. No one cares.

Strange country.
The only time I've heard about a company caring about alcohol use is Florida Power & Light. There's a nuclear power plant not far from my parents' house, I still have a couple friends up that way and my one buddy does some kind of engineering at the plant. He said they randomly breathalyze people in the morning and will send them to alcohol treatment if they blow over a 0.01, meaning they drank more than they should have the night before. Never heard of it happening anywhere else.

Being a formerly heavy drinker, I instantly recognize that hollowed-out hungover look on people's faces in my daily life. If you ever get attitude from a waitress or cashier or clerk, chances are that person got torn up the night before and is dealing with the consequences today.

With how statistically tied alcohol is to violence, you'd think we'd care more about that than cannabis, but Reefer Madness is still a documentary to too much of our country.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Alcoholism is a real disease that destroys things. My anti-alcohol bias is based on my l-o-n-g experience with an alcoholic in my life.

Never had a real problem with cannabis users that I can recall.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

JohnNewell
Grizzled Veteran

Post by JohnNewell »

K9s wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 am
Alcoholism is a real disease that destroys things. My anti-alcohol bias is based on my l-o-n-g experience with an alcoholic in my life.

Never had a real problem with cannabis users that I can recall.
Just as a point of information every diabetic that I know (and I am Type 2 diabetic) has a story of being mistaken for being drunk when it was actually a blood sugar issue. Diabetic ketoacidosis will make your breathe smell "fruity" and people (including health professionals that should know better) often mistake those symptoms for drunkenness.

Plus, to be honest, many diabetics are drinkers. Or former drinkers.

So that aspect is complicated. Folks should not assume that every confused person that smells like likker is drunken, especially if they are older. I had a hospital take my truck keys away from me but when I had a casual chat with a State Trooper he breathalyzed me and the results were 0.0. The local cops were called, they did a field sobriety exam, and told the nursing staff to give me my truck keys.

Like I said. It's complicated.

Tedzilla
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Tedzilla »

If you have anything about you someone else considers a sin, if you walk far enough you'll be found a felon.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

K9s wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 am
that I can recall.
:roflmao:

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

"When you make weed illegal, some idiots think it's special."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF2MQIbQKjE

:roflmao:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage