"How Michael Bloomberg Bought the Gun Control Movement"

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

"How Michael Bloomberg Bought the Gun Control Movement"

Post by DispositionMatrix »

How Michael Bloomberg Bought the Gun Control Movement
Twenty first graders had just been killed in their classrooms in Newtown, Connecticut, and Michael Bloomberg wasn’t in the mood to pull punches. During a December 16, 2012, appearance on Meet the Press, he criticized President Barack Obama, who, he argued, had failed to keep those children safe from gun violence. Obama hadn’t “fought hard” to enact gun restrictions, despite having “campaigned in 2008 on an assault weapon ban,” Bloomberg told David Gregory, the show’s host. Bloomberg added that “the only gun legislation that the president has signed” had, in fact, relaxed gun laws, granting the right to carry firearms in national parks and on Amtrak. “I assume that’s to stop the rash of train robberies,” he snapped. “This is ridiculous.”

Whatever you think of Bloomberg’s statements, he was certainly speaking from a place of authority. No other prominent elected official had done as much as the billionaire businessman—who was nearing the end of his third and final term as New York City’s mayor—to elevate the issue of gun control, which had for years languished in the political backwater. He’d spent the previous six years leading Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a coalition of city executives whose goal was to help law enforcement remove illegally obtained firearms from their communities. During the 2012 election cycle, he had shelled out millions of dollars backing a handful of candidates who support gun control. For months, he’d been pushing the Obama administration to take action after a shooting that left 12 dead in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater.

Gregory asked Bloomberg what he’d do if he were president. The mayor didn’t hesitate. He said he’d close the so-called “gun-show loophole” that allows people to buy firearms without a background check and that he’d issue an executive order to ensure that the database used for background checks is kept up to date. Despite his criticism of Obama just moments earlier—and the fact that assault weapons had been used in both Newtown and Aurora—an assault weapons ban apparently wasn’t on Bloomberg’s to-do list, either.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "How Michael Bloomberg Bought the Gun Control Movement"

Post by highdesert »

His campaign for the WH was a disaster, can't help but think that his spending on anti-gun movements contributed to it. If he went after drug addiction with as much fervor and dropped Everytown & Co, he might have had a better chance of winning. Drug addiction touches more families in the US across partisan lines.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

Post by DispositionMatrix »

highdesert wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am
His campaign for the WH was a disaster, can't help but think that his spending on anti-gun movements contributed to it. If he went after drug addiction with as much fervor and dropped Everytown & Co, he might have had a better chance of winning. Drug addiction touches more families in the US across partisan lines.
Firearm prohibition always has been Bloomberg's cause, and it's a plank in the Democratic Party platform. So there was a certain logic to him being the disarmament enthusiasts' candidate, with the party now being inseparable from firearm prohibition.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

If you look at the Mother Jones article and parse Bloomberg's words you see contradictions. The NewTown massacre wasn't about the "what" was used, but about the "who". A seriously emotionally disturbed son with violent tendencies who wanted to emulate the Norwegian monster, should NEVER have been allowed near guns. Yet his mother, not only encouraged him to shoot, she didn't ensure he didn't have access to them except under strict supervision. She became his first victim. Only my wife knows how to access the guns. Even my 25 year old, a 3L, doesn't have access when he's home. It's not that I don't trust him, it's that it's wiser that way.

I am fully supportive of closing the "gun show loophole" and ensuring that no one can take legal ownership of a gun without a background check. I also am in favor of laws that ensure a gun is secure when not in its owner's hands.
It's also clear that rather than banning guns or "assault weapons" (whatever the fuck that means) a far more effective means of preventing the sensational mass shootings is EFFECTIVE background checks. Adam Lanza's mother should NEVER have been allowed to have guns in the house, especially unsecured ones. Devin Patrick Kelley should NEVER have been allowed to buy his AR-15 legally but because the USAF didn't report his DV conviction to the FBI, it didnt' show up in the NICS data check. That's not a fault of the AR-15, that's a fault of the system. In fact, Kelley was stopped by a "Solid Citizen" with his own AR, Stephen Willeford.

Dylann Roof, the Charleston racist asshole, too, should have been denied legal access as should Nikolas Cruz, the Parkland shooter

In fact, with the exception of the Las Vegas shooter, virtually ALL of these assholes would have been denied access with proper background checks.

This is where Bloomberg goes off the rails, wanting to ban firearms used in roughly 4% of all non-suicide gun deaths, and blaming Obama for not banning "assault weapons".

I'm a numbers guy. I believe in measurement and inferential statistics. I very much want to see ALL gun deaths drastically reduced. But to do that we need good, hard, verifiable numbers of what works and what won't. It's a complex problem because the reasons people shoot themselves and each other, whether accidentally, to frighten, hurt, or kill, they don't have a simple one-size-fits-all solution.

Bloomberg's money is his own. He would do VERY well to invest in taking back the Senate, in ousting MoscowMitch, Cornyn, Ernst, McSally, Collins, Tillis, both Georgia seats, etc.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ