What a set o'cans part deux: the big bore

I strongly recommend that anybody considering a big-bore suppressor go register at silencerresearch.com. Their acoustic-performance data are collected and reported in a highly systematic fashion, and besides, how else is the NSA going to keep track of y'all?

[OT: If I post the Bill of Rights here, d'ya think somebody at NSA would actually read it?]

Okay, there are only two choices for a .45 can: the AAC Ti-Rant and the Silencerco Osprey have the best performance, to within 1 dB of each other. The former is more expensive, harder to find, and more likely to disappoint if you ever need to contact the manufacturer. The latter is not cheap by any means, but it does have some interesting and unique features, my favorite being the cam-action lock that allows it to be rotated after it's fully tightened down. It's that rotation ability that enables the Osprey to exploit a much larger internal volume, since the fat side of the asymmetrical can is pointed downwards, out of the sight line. The Osprey thus gives less obscuration of the sights while simultaneously providing a larger volume than any competitor. That cam-lock system has a pending patent:
http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Osprey

So for me it was an easy decision - but hard to write the check - for a .45 caliber Osprey. It's about $850, plus the $200 tax stamp, plus the $65 application process, plus all the accoutrements like threaded barrels, special holsters, and a ninja wardrobe. :ninja: But the greatest cost is still all the ammo; do you think you'll be shooting any less after you get your can?

It took nearly seven months to get my Form 4 back, signed by one Sandra Snook -
0866cc.jpg
It's interesting that the OD green canvas holder for the Osprey is much longer than it needs to be for the can, and it just happens to fit a thirty-round Kriss mag perfectly.
It's purely a coincidence, I'm certain.
http://store.kriss-usa.com/accessories/ ... legal.html

Inside the muzzle end of the can is a removable, spring-loaded Nielsen Device that allows the barrel to move rearward during firing, which is essential for a locked-breech weapon to cycle. When mounted to a fixed-barrel weapon (like my blowback-operated carbine), the spring is replaced with a tubular steel spacer to lessen the risk of a baffle strike. It's visible at the bottom right of this picture -
0871cc.jpg
The thing on the bottom left is the spanner used to pull the Nielsen Device.

So everything's great after that, right? Well, not so much. The first time I tried it, it shot out the baffles, blowing the "monocore" to bits. Lucky me.
0913cc.jpg
No, seriously, lucky me. Remember why I went with Silencerco: I mailed it off to them on January 2, and it was returned to me on January 8, good as new, for no cost to me except one-way postage. They even included another one of those canvas cases! The other bit of luck had been designed into it: the part with the serial number attached is the steel-cased end that holds the Nielsen Device. The rest of the aluminum can was replaced without affecting the tax-stamp status. In truth, they just took that numbered end piece off the one I sent them and attached it to a whole new can.

It must've been some kind of defect that caused it to fail, but their free lifetime replacement policy has nothing to do with that. They really do charge a lot for the thing, with the expectation that they'll maintain it for life, NQA. :thumbup:

Since then there have been no issues, except perhaps the three-picture limit when attaching images to posts here. Y'all will have to wait to see pix of the hosts. Fired dry, it's kind of loud, but wet it's amazingly effective, not just in terms of absolute volume but also because the kind of sound it makes is so unlike gunfire. If you're standing next to it you'll surely hear it, but you'd never believe it was a gunshot. It reminds me of a pneumatic nailer, but quieter. The cycling of the action makes almost as much noise.

Now there's nothing left to do but launch into a Caliber War! Let's hear from the 147gr. 35-caliber fanboys. :smart:

Re: What a set o'cans part deux: the big bore

The aluminum internals would probably melt out before you finished your third "happy stick" in a full-auto Thompson. But a carbine-length .45 is an excellent idea, because it reduces the muzzle blast while still adding velocity. My calcs say that even a +P in 230 gr. will be subsonic from a 16" barrel - at least on a Summer day.

My choice was the Mech-Tech upper made for a Glock 21 (what else), which isn't a gun according to ATF and so was dropped off at my door by UPS. A quick thread job and a much slower stock-replacement surgery resulted in this:
0832cc.jpg
That folding front grip is the only safety the thing has, so it's definitely a Condition-Two carry protocol.

With the ATN red dot, it's capable of more accuracy than I am, but then it's really more of a CQB kind of package anyway.

The genuine Uzi folding stock is cool as the dickens, but its LOP is a bit too long, and there's no way to modify it. It's a good thing I've got ape arms, but it's tough getting a sling to fit.

What else? Ah, of course, the +17 Kriss base plates for the G21 mags, making them 30-rounders:
0876cc.jpg
It was dumb luck that I snagged some of those Kriss sticks before the insanity hit at the end of last year. To bad for you Californians, sux 2 B U.
Then again, you can really go broke in a hurry if your grin gets too big at the range. I still have a pile of aluminum-cased Blazer crap that I got for $0.30 a round, which was another dumb-luck stroke. But it'll be gone soon enough, and then it'll be time to think about becoming a reloader. As if I don't have enough gun-related stuff piled up here already.

Those Camp .45's go for cubic dollars, and you'd better find one with an upgraded buffer or the stock will be cracked up. I don't know why Marlin doesn't start making them again. They can't be selling many .22's these days since nobody can find any ammo.

As long as you're dreaming, why not go for a DeLisle!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMei19G_hqA?

For less than four hundred bucks and a G21 that I already owned, that Mech-Tech was the clear winner. We have a local guy here too, TNW, and his stuff is very good, but his carbine uses proprietary mags, and that's a deal-killer.
http://www.tnwfirearms.com/proddetail.p ... ASR&cat=12

I wanted the JRC to work for me, but too many people say they don't feed reliably. I have yet to see my Mech-Tech misfeed anything, even at very low powder loadings.
http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Car ... ducts.html

Oh, and here's another pic:
0960cc.jpg

C'mon, stealth is the goal, and no supersonic round is going to do that. The best reason to put a can onto a .50BMG might be to keep your sinuses from bleeding. Seriously, those things go up for sale regularly hereabouts, because after launching only a box or two through it, the shooter is so beat up by the concussion that they're done for: bruised eyeballs that won't focus, bloody nose, and a brand-new flinch to go with the purple shoulder. It reminds me of all the low-miles GSXR bikes you see for sale - the driver got one good scare and had to park it.

A 230 gr. +P .45ACP has a reach of more than a mile, and it's still lethal on re-entry. Aiming? What's that?

Maybe the thing to do is go fight in the Iraqi or Afghan (or soon, Syrian) summer heat, where the shade temp is 130°F and the speed of sound is up around 1200 ft/sec. Then you could heave a 255 grain .45 Colt slug with more than 800 ft-lb of muzzle energy and still keep it subsonic. Why doesn't somebody make a tungsten-core .45 slug, anyway? Dang, are you up for some custom castings?