Re: Why the hell do you want a suppressor in the first place

From what I gather, suppressors are often sold in hardware stores in Europe, right?

If suppressors were off the NFA list, and even if they still kept a tax on them (collectible at the point of sale) there'd be an explosion of purchases overnight. A whole new industry.

That being said, I live in an apartment, so using a rifle for HD has never really been thought of. Noise, and also a fair chance of hitting someone in the next unit over.

I actually have a working relationship with someone who manufactures frangible 5.56 locally. Might be worth laying in a supply.

ErikO wrote:
Yeah, 5.56 frangebles would work great for home defense as they would get stopped cold the first time they hit 3/4" plywood. They can also be loaded to subsonic levels and still be fine ballistically at CQB distances. Make your ears bleed without a suppressor indoors for sure...

If I can get a suppressed 1911 that my wife could shoot I bet that would seal the deal on her citizenship. Just can't do it in public as the lack of Citizenship would make her shooting that 1911 a Felony Possession...

:evil:
I'm not a blastics expert, but I think taking a 5.56 down to subsonic puts you in the ball park of a standard velocity .22. And I think you'd have trouble cycling an AR, and bullet instability that could damage the suppressor. I'm a fan of 5.56, but 300 blk is my centerfire choice for suppression. But a suppressed S&W 15-22 would be a great home defense rifle, IMO. Zero recoil. Barely any noise. And a single .22 might not be a "man stopper", but 20 could be.

I recently got a Remington R1 enhanced 1911 with a threaded barrel. It's a little pricey for what it is, but I didn't want to have to buy a threaded 1911 barrel and have it fitted to an existing gun. It's awesome with my Osprey, and I would wholeheartedly suggest that combination as the foundation for years of marital bliss. Of course, once you get the can, you must try a P220 and an HK USP 45. You want to make sure that your wife is making an informed decision.

ScorpionHunter wrote:You want to make sure that your wife is making an informed decision.
It's all moot considering the Citizenship requirements for barrels under 16" AND dB levels that are mechanically reduced. :/

Yes, a 300BLK works great suppressed. I should be able to find .308 frangeble rounds, those are commonly used to LEO training.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
ScorpionHunter wrote:You want to make sure that your wife is making an informed decision.
It's all moot considering the Citizenship requirements for barrels under 16" AND dB levels that are mechanically reduced. :/

Yes, a 300BLK works great suppressed. I should be able to find .308 frangeble rounds, those are commonly used to LEO training.
http://npee.org/products/rifle/308

Made right here in Miami actually.

Yeah, a subsonic 5.56 wouldn't amount to much more than a 60gr. Aguila .22LR -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6150zyI4lJA
Too bad I don't have a host for my .22 can that will stabilize it.

You know, when they're wet the .22 cans really are "Hollywood quiet." pew pew pew, etc. The larger bore cans have physics working against them and could never be as quiet, but they're still pretty impressive when wet, mostly because the character of the sound is totally different. A low-power .45 round doesn't sound like gunfire at all emerging from my Osprey. Just plain cool.

What I've been searching for in vain is ballistic-gel penetration data for low-velocity .45 ACP FMJ, like maybe 400-500 fps. I suspicion that 230 gr. at 400 fps would be more than enough to deal with a canine pest, or a large male P. lotor.

Back when they were legal, they were mostly used for hunter, animals, and people hearing protections. The hunting dogs can go just as deaf as humans, maybe more so and quicker due to sensitivity.
Plus, before the days of -lets scare everyone over guns- was popular in the media and anti gun crowds, it was common for hunters with common sense to hunt in populated areas. I dont mean cities, but homes a couple thousand yards away. And it was nice not to aggravate the neighbors.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

gendoikari wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:
gendoikari wrote: or hell

What the Hell is that, a piece of obsidian? Or maybe an alien turd from some movie I haven't seen?
obsidian shard. Sharper than a surgeons scalpel.
Yup, the conical fracture gives it away.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more