Oil Filter Suppressor

Does anyone have any info on this? It looks cool but I am limiting myself to two firearms next year. A Garand from CMP and a IAC 97t but I might be able to squeeze a 22lr pistol into it.

Hickok 45's review of it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Manufacturer's website...https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.p ... duct_id=79
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

Re: Oil Filter Suppressor

No. But.

It makes no sense to me to go through the photo/prints/CLEO sign-off, wait 10-12 months and spend $200 on a stamp that's for a $85 POS that will only run for maybe a couple hundred rounds before becoming useless or blowing up in your face. Then the company blows town and you're stuck with useless junk.

If it even reduces noise to any useful degree at all (?) you have to wonder why are there no photos or specs on dB levels.

It's been my view that when it comes to guns buy the best possible gear you can afford for highest reliability, performance and longevity.

Decent, real 308 suppressors can be had in the $700 range such as the AAC, and that won't blow up and seriously injure somebody.

Finally, if the suppressor is not built with a unique serial number matching the Form 1 then the thing is a federal felony to manufacture, possess and transfer ...so it appears Hickok is full of misinformation on this one when he alludes to them being "on store shelves" blah blah blah. Maybe he has relatives who work a Leavenworth and is drumming up future "clients" for them? ;)

My two centses.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

While they are selling serial numbered adapters with a tax stamp, the same company prominently advertises the same adapter without serial or tax stamp for use with the same filters as a "solvent trap". I'd not want to be on their customer list or have anything to do with them.

Fukshot wrote:While they are selling serial numbered adapters with a tax stamp, the same company prominently advertises the same adapter without serial or tax stamp for use with the same filters as a "solvent trap". I'd not want to be on their customer list or have anything to do with them.
Yes, I saw that in my latest issue of Guns & Ammo. The idea is that you attach it to the end of your gun to trap the oil that comes out while cleaning (????) and helps you keep a clean work area. First reaction was "huh?" followed by "Ha!" and then "How can G&A allow such a blatant misrepresentation of the purpose of this item?" I guess since there isn't even a hint of other uses for the device, G&A has no reason to object? Or maybe the advertising department is clueless?

It's just a matter of time before someone develops a really long and thin oil filter, with a cleanout plug on the other end, and claims it to be highly efficient for special applications. It will need an adapter to fit it's 1/2 x 28 thread so you can fit it to a variety of engines.

Honestly, considering how simple it is to make them, you'd be better off making your own after filing the paperwork. Then all the parts are replaceable by you for repair. And you don't have a giant oil can dangling off the end of whatever firearm you're trying to shoot. There's a great youtube video for instructions. If I lived somewhere where they were legal to own, I'd be all over it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Fukshot wrote:While they are selling serial numbered adapters with a tax stamp, the same company prominently advertises the same adapter without serial or tax stamp for use with the same filters as a "solvent trap". I'd not want to be on their customer list or have anything to do with them.
This has been the standard response for the last few years for me. I'd go farther to never buy one for cash at a gun show. I'm too pretty for Club Fed...
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

shinzen wrote:Honestly, considering how simple it is to make them, you'd be better off making your own after filing the paperwork. Then all the parts are replaceable by you for repair. And you don't have a giant oil can dangling off the end of whatever firearm you're trying to shoot. There's a great youtube video for instructions. If I lived somewhere where they were legal to own, I'd be all over it.
The stupid thing is these are 'non-serviceable'. Once the filter is shot out, you send it back to them so they can send back one that has a serialized 'oil filter' attached to it.

Again, stay far, far away from these! The hieght of the can precludes most sights from being used, anyway.

I'd rather get the solvent trap that friction-fits over the end of your barrel and lets you use a 20oz soda bottle as a solvent trap. Currently, I use a coffee can placed at the point that solvent would drip from when I clean my AR on the vise via a magwell block.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

As I read the following two statements, these guys are selling the adapter and the filter as a single serial numbered unit, such that when one has "used up" the filtering characteristics of the oil filter, they require that one purchase a $3.00 filter from them for $25.00.
The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA.
If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00.
They further go on to say that the life expectancy of the oil filter is:
The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type. (ex. AR15=300-500 rds)
I think that it needs to be emphasized quite clearly that attaching anything to the muzzle of a firearm that is intended to or results in the suppression of the firearm report, without the proper paperwork, is a federal crime. Involving jail time, which probably wouldn't run concurrent with the sentence handed down by one's local jurisdiction...

Fukshot's caution above should not be taken lightly:
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed