Mosin Nagant Brake

Apologies if this is the wrong place or if this was just covered.

I have one of those ugly, cheap Mosin Nagant suppressors from the amazon site. Looks a little bit like this. Reviews were not especially glowing, but I figured that would just add some authenticity by reflecting that Soviet work and manufacturing ethic.

Is there historic precedent for a suppressor on a Mosin Nagant? Also, given the lousy reviews, is there anything I could do with this thing to make it more than a glorified paperweight?

And while I'm at it, is there a scope for same weapon that is at least similar to the originals but will not break the bank? And how unrealistic is it to think I might be able to install said historic scope myself (I am not a gunsmith or even slightly handy)?

Thanks much.
Attachments
31urUZUZzlL.jpg

Re: Mosin Nagant Brake

You can get reproduction scopes and mounts, I had one on my Mosin for awhile before deciding to bastardize it completely. The install isn't for the faint of heart, I'm handy, but decided to let my gunsmith install it- requires drilling, tapping, and stock modifications for the repro mount. A good quality reproduction scope and mount will run $300 or more, I have not seen the cheaper ones getting good reviews- too much recoil for a crappy optic.

The brake I would not recommend. Those NC star twist on brakes are very cheap metal and finish, rust begins almost immediately. A smith can thread the barrel and put on a good quality brake. The brake and smith work will be about what you paid for the Mosin.

I went crazy with mine, it shoots under .5 MOA groups when I'm doing my part. But definitely spent some cash on it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Oh, and if you want, I have the repro still. I'd have to check and see what I have it up on the for sale section at if you are interested, its just taking up space at the moment

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Isn't the point of a muzzle break to tame muzzle rise so you can stay on target for quick follow-up shots?

If so, why would anyone put one on a bolt action rifle?
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Recoil with that thing is pretty heavy. Lifted any of us out of the chair when we took it to the range. I marvel at the thought of starving Russians able to fire that thing, and not go tumbling off the ledge of any bombed-out buildings they were shooting from of in Stalingrad.

Would be nice to get it all dressed-up. But I wouldn't want to do anything to it that isn't consistent with pre-1944.. Minus that whole being shot by my own side if I don't advance, of course.

I reckon if I start saving now, I may have enough saved for a scope about the same time the Confederated Republics of Free Mars elect their third president.

shinzen wrote:Also helps with felt recoil.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... s-and-cons

No biggie on a 223, but bigger calibers, sure.
Point taken.

But, "Most muzzle brakes will cut recoil by 50 percent." ???

Is that remotely true in anyone's experience? I have used them on a .223 AR and a .30-06 Garand, and haven't noticed any difference in felt recoil. They do help control muzzle rise though -- on a semi-auto.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I haven't really done a side by side, but 50% seems a wild exaggeration. But gas operated actions already reduce recoil a fair bit, and I don't have one on a bolt, so I could be wrong.

- Maya Angelou

Cusidhe wrote:Recoil with that thing is pretty heavy. Lifted any of us out of the chair when we took it to the range. I marvel at the thought of starving Russians able to fire that thing, and not go tumbling off the ledge of any bombed-out buildings they were shooting from of in Stalingrad.
It's not at it's best as a seated range rifle, it can beat you up pretty good. The limbsaver is a better option, IMO. I have a supercell recoil pad on my benchrest Mosin, it makes a substantial difference.
Would be nice to get it all dressed-up. But I wouldn't want to do anything to it that isn't consistent with pre-1944.. Minus that whole being shot by my own side if I don't advance, of course.

I reckon if I start saving now, I may have enough saved for a scope about the same time the Confederated Republics of Free Mars elect their third president.
Looks like this is pretty similar in quality to the kit I got, about $300 including the mount and scope kit.

http://www.amazon.com/RSM-Russian-Mosin ... B00H9VGGS8
- Maya Angelou

FWIW, I got mine here:
http://www.accumounts.com/russian-mosin.html

If you are interested in the scope and mount, I had it up in the for sale section as a combo for $150, but it's been sitting for a bit, so I'd let it go for $100. You would need to buy the rail listed on the webpage above in order to install it on your Mosin.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 16&t=33291

If you're interested that is. I would still recommend professional install. Guessing $80-$100 from a reputable smith. Or if you know a handy person with a drill press it could be done, but level is critical for the rail.
- Maya Angelou

DamnYankee wrote:I have a friend who put one of these on is M44:

http://texasprecisionproducts.com/product/m-44/

Ugly as sin and far from "period authentic", but he swears by it and claims that it really tames recoil. After several hundred rounds, it hasnt budged. Maybe due to the way the design incorporates the front sight as a partial anchor.

Was thinking of getting one for my T53...
Looks like it attaches much like a 91/30 bayonet.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack