Brainless suppressor question

Discussion related to Suppressors, AOWs, Destructive Devices, and other NFA items

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Brainless suppressor question

#1 Post by Buck13 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I never thought I had any need to jump through these hoops, but my spousal critter and I keep arguing about where to retire some day. It occurs to me that being quiet and discreet might one day facilitate where it is possible to shoot.

The only caliber I currently own that I'm interesting in suppressing is .22LR. I kinda sorta imagine wanting a 9 mm some day just for a little more recoil fun. How much less effective would a 9 mm suppressor be if used on a .22LR pistol or rifle?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

dandad
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Brainless suppressor question

#2 Post by dandad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Usually, at least my understanding of suppressors, is that they are fairly caliber specific. Unless your using the oil filter kind, but thats a whole different story.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

zukiphile
Been around awhile

#3 Post by zukiphile » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:15 am

Buck13 wrote: The only caliber I currently own that I'm interesting in suppressing is .22LR. I kinda sorta imagine wanting a 9 mm some day just for a little more recoil fun. How much less effective would a 9 mm suppressor be if used on a .22LR pistol or rifle?
Just a stray thought: If you are going to get a centerfire pistol suppressor, why a 9mm? In .45, everything will be subsonic anyway but without the compromised effect of 147gr 9mm.

My guess would be that someone has posted a youtube video of his 9mm suppressor being used on a .22.

TheViking
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by TheViking » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:23 am

I know a few people that have 9mm suppressors and shoot .22 out of them. They work but not as well as an actual .22 suppressor. More gas escapes, obviously.
Image Image

zukiphile
Been around awhile

#5 Post by zukiphile » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am

shinzen
Site Admin

#6 Post by shinzen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:22 am

Here's some thoughts on it- sounds like it should work fine, but cleaning is something to be aware of.

http://www.ncsilencer.com/multi-caliber-silencers.html

May not work as well as a dedicated unit, but will still work.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by AndyH » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Buck13 wrote:The only caliber I currently own that I'm interesting in suppressing is .22LR. I kinda sorta imagine wanting a 9 mm some day just for a little more recoil fun. How much less effective would a 9 mm suppressor be if used on a .22LR pistol or rifle?
Here's an example of a Form 1 (DIY) .30 suppressor on .308, .223, and .22LR. It'll work. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhFF2SxlUw
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by Buck13 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:20 pm

zukiphile wrote:
Just a stray thought: If you are going to get a centerfire pistol suppressor, why a 9mm? In .45, everything will be subsonic anyway but without the compromised effect of 147gr 9mm.
Mainly because 9 mm is the closest to .22 while still being a "real" duty caliber.

If I was going to go for any bigger diameter than .356, I have lots of .40 reagents already, so I would stop there. But both of my 10 mms are EAA, and I've never looked for threaded barrels. I just assumed they were WAY less available than Glock barrels, and the 4.5" gun has a non-replaceable front sight, so it would be necessary to add an optic on a saddle mount off the rail (admittedly, I already have a cheap mount, so not a huge problem).

I once made a test run of a few 140 grain lead bullets loaded with Trail Boss and they shot fine, so I'm not unwilling to make subsonic 10 mm. I bought a VERY light recoil spring to run those, and they functioned fine. Didn't chrono but presumbably <900 fps. Very soft shooting and seemed accurate.

My "target" load for the 6" Witness is a 200 grain JHP running just subsonic with Blue Dot. The intended target for these is IHMSA Field Pistol critters, so a little heavier than needed for paper. :D
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage