Odds of a Hearing Protection Act Actually Happening...

Discussion related to Suppressors, AOWs, Destructive Devices, and other NFA items

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

MetalSlugIV
Chatty

Odds of a Hearing Protection Act Actually Happening...

#1 Post by MetalSlugIV » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Cheeto Benito and his band of hype men seem bent on oppressing minorities, muzzling the press, and shredding the safety net instead of doing anything about gun laws.

The internet gun blogosphere was alight when the leaked BATF memo came out but I'm doubting its veracity and if anything will actually come it. What odds do you give to NFA reform that allows easier access to suppressors? I've been kicking around the idea of getting a threaded barrel for my HK45C and slapping on some high profile sights for a MK. 24 Mod 0 look :D
"Let's be honest the only people who read Ayn Rand are 16 year olds and assholes"

PiratePenguin
Chatty

Re: Odds of a Hearing Protection Act Actually Happening...

#2 Post by PiratePenguin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:18 am

I suspect that the GOP will happily string gun owners along the way the Democrats did LGBT folks for so many years. Gun owners that want something are gun owners who vote, and realistically the bulk of them aren't going to swap parties so they're stuck with the Repubs.

So, I don't give it good odds. It's far more valuable as a motivating issue than it is as a law. Especially if they can find a way to blame Democrats for it stalling out—which in Chump's America may be as simple as shouting the accusation as loudly as possible until your base believes it.

MetalSlugIV
Chatty

#3 Post by MetalSlugIV » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am

PiratePenguin wrote:I suspect that the GOP will happily string gun owners along the way the Democrats did LGBT folks for so many years. Gun owners that want something are gun owners who vote, and realistically the bulk of them aren't going to swap parties so they're stuck with the Repubs.

So, I don't give it good odds. It's far more valuable as a motivating issue than it is as a law. Especially if they can find a way to blame Democrats for it stalling out—which in Chump's America may be as simple as shouting the accusation as loudly as possible until your base believes it.
This makes me sad because I know it's true... :(
"Let's be honest the only people who read Ayn Rand are 16 year olds and assholes"

shinzen
Site Admin

#4 Post by shinzen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am

I give it a 0/0 chance of happening. I'd like to be proven wrong...

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by highdesert » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:13 pm

If the Reps do eventually pass legislation liberalizing suppressors, they might wait until 2018 just before the mid-terms so all the grateful wingers will go out and vote for them. Now if the NRA started rattling their chains now they might do it sooner.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by DavidMS » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01 pm

I don't think its very likely. The Democratic Party will filibuster it in the senate.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by highdesert » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 pm

DavidMS wrote:I don't think its very likely. The Democratic Party will filibuster it in the senate.
Not a given, too many Dem senators are running for re-election in red or toss-up states such as Manchin, Heitcamp, Tester, McCaskill etc. The NRA will make it an election issue.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan