PS90/P90 conversion

Planning to convert my FN PS90 to a semi-automatic P90:

I have a factory red dot on the weapon and it's more of a pistol sight than a rifle sight. Most of the special operators that use the P90 seem to be going towards a larger red dot and I think that I'll go that way.

Thoughts? Probably not suitable for every situation, but the 5.7x28 round coming out of a barrel of this length seems to be fine for use up to 200 yards. And the weapon is handy and light.

Re: PS90/P90 conversion

It depends on your needs. This is a good comparison of 5.7x28 versus other rounds. The reviewer has other reviews of 5.7x28 that made me rethink my desire for the FN 57 and other 5.7x28 options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLCsQkEL9eQ

If you believe you need a lot of penetration and capacity, then it sounds great and looks cool!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 pm It depends on your needs. This is a good comparison of 5.7x28 versus other rounds. The reviewer has other reviews of 5.7x28 that made me rethink my desire for the FN 57 and other 5.7x28 options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLCsQkEL9eQ

If you believe you need a lot of penetration and capacity, then it sounds great and looks cool!

I think that you hit the nail with the first sentence. "Depends on your needs." I have been carrying around a Steyr AUG as my secondary weapon (primary is a holstered Glock 17) and the P90 will be a LOT handier than the AUG even if the P90 gives up a lot of range. The P90 should fit into a case slightly larger than an old-fashioned camera case.

P90 also seems to work well when you have several others with larger weapons and as part of a recon team. The form factor of the P90 allows a person to keep their hands free for taking notes or use of a camera.

5.7x28 ammo has been controversial and has changed here in the USA in the last 3-4 years since I got interested in a P90 project. I can buy the "LEO-only" green tip ammo (and so can anyone else with a little looking; there are folks that sell it to anyone). Black core is available but it is of questionable legality to import and enormously expensive. However, private vendors have stepped forward to make exotic rounds for the 5.7x28.

NATO tests did conclude that FN's 5.7x28 was significantly more lethal than H&K's 4.8x30. From what I have seen in most circumstances 5.7x28 is significantly more lethal than 9mm, and inside a building or at short range 9mm from an SBR does more than sting.

I dunno. Jury is still out on this one. I have had two PS90s over the last few years (backed away from the project but had a change of heart and bought a second weapon recently). At range day the PS90 has always been super popular because it has practically zero recoil. I have had some issues with the sights which is why I am looking forward to changing to a larger red dot. At first I was skeptical about the ability to suppress a 5.7x28 weapon but a couple of gunsmiths have told me that the P90 as well as a FiveSeven pistol both suppress well.

Time will tell ... ;)

Hopefully before too much longer I can get a FiveSeven pistol to experiment with (I hear they are extremely accurate) and perhaps down the road SBR a 9mm of some sort for comparison to the P90. Lower performance with the 9mm but much cheaper to shoot too.

In my experience, the only way to actually scratch that itch is to just do it. I have been salivating over the FN Five Seven for years. In my current job for the past few years, I have no need, so it made the decision easier for me. If you have the PS90 and the means to SBR, then why not try it? There is no way you will hate it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:00 pm In my experience, the only way to actually scratch that itch is to just do it. I have been salivating over the FN Five Seven for years. In my current job for the past few years, I have no need, so it made the decision easier for me. If you have the PS90 and the means to SBR, then why not try it? There is no way you will hate it.

Kinda my thoughts too. I started to do this a few years ago but the costs and the employment situation got out of hand. Now the costs are actually down and <knocking on wood> I have a steady gig.

If the thing silences well that will be icing on the cake.

A bunch of elite units are using the P90 these days. Everyone from the US Secret Service (who might be looking for a replacement however) to Austrian Jagdkommando to Canadian, French, Mexican, Brazilian, Polish Grom - a whole bunch of nations have bought the P90. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90

Is it bad to say that I want it for the SG1 cool factor? Seriously, I’ve thought about this route more than once - both short barreling a PS90 and pairing with a Five Seven. A big investment up front, but cool, compact, high capacity platforms when done.

A lot of online debate about the caliber’s utility, but as you state multiple government agencies are using it at least in certain circumstances.

Maybe if I wasn’t such a cheapskate...

Also despite the attraction to a P90, I’m rethinking my approach to NFA items as of late. Pistol braces are coming in all kinds of configurations now. Very shootable. My .300blk and 9mm braced ARs are both very short even when suppressed and are accurate out to the similar distances. No issues taking out of state, etc.