My Short-Lived Dreams of a Suppressed 45-70

So, to cut to the chase, I'm in California, and suppressors are illegal here. So no suppressed 45-70.

Longer version: I was looking at my reloading tables, and noticed that some standard loads with 400-gr and 500-gr bullets are subsonic. (I'm new to reloading, so I think it's interesting how the interaction of case pressure and velocity works. Some loads with heavier bullets use less powder to achieve the same velocity. Very cool.) It got me to thinking that it would be cool to have a suppressed 45-70 that could still blow watermelons to smithereens. It would cost a $200 tax stamp, and I'd probably want to thread the barrel on something like a Hand-rifle rather than a Ruger No 3, but whatever. It would be cool

So I looked up California law, and... no-go. No suppressors for me. Funny, I've never wanted one before, but the idea of a really big bullet kinda made me want one.

Boo!

Re: My Short-Lived Dreams of a Suppressed 45-70

K9s wrote:That cannot be true. The GOP had control of POTUS and Congress. They PROMISED to allow everyone suppressors and nationwide carry. Are you saying they lied?
Hah! That's my favorite thing to bring up in other gun forums/Reddit/whathaveyou. They had both houses of Congress and the Presidency for two years, plus a favorable SCOTUS, and wouldn't even bring either to the floor. I guess they were just too busy giving tax handouts to their donors to be bothered with anything their constituents actually wanted.

I was friends with a MD in El Monte a few years ago, and he was heavy into guns.

One anomaly in his life there was he had several NFA weapons registered long before the '68 GCA, a '28 Tommy among them.

He didn't take it out any more, as the local gendarmes didn't believe his documents so several hours ensued with the DA, ATF, and others that proved they were indeed legal, as properly acquired before prohibited in Ca.

The fallout was that they would have to be transferred out-of-state if sold, and advised just to never leave the house with them.

I know he did move out of the country, having retired and sold some very pricey real estate. I never did find out what he did with the NFA goods. They prolly left with him as they never planned on returning to the US.

I'm certain a very few such guns are still across the river from me, if the owners are still alive or have willed them to family quietly. (The NFA has just that no-tax avenue in the act but it isn't repeated often).

All this babble and $4 will get you a coffee. :coffee:

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

kronkmusic wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm
K9s wrote:That cannot be true. The GOP had control of POTUS and Congress. They PROMISED to allow everyone suppressors and nationwide carry. Are you saying they lied?
Hah! That's my favorite thing to bring up in other gun forums/Reddit/whathaveyou. They had both houses of Congress and the Presidency for two years, plus a favorable SCOTUS, and wouldn't even bring either to the floor. I guess they were just too busy giving tax handouts to their donors to be bothered with anything their constituents actually wanted.
I cannot seem to PM attachments anymore, so maybe post these for your other forum friends?

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
trump-bump-stock-ban-feat[1].jpg
2018-02-28-cbs-en-touting-trump-pushing-gun-control-1.png

Oh, this is for sure a plinking rifle for me. I'm looking at the cheapest way to do it, and it looks like 300gr lead bullets are about a quarter a round. Primers are a couple cents, and powder isn't much. So I can probably reload for about $0.30/rd.

If I ever move out of California, or if they ever become legal here, I'm for sure making a suppressed 45-70. It will just be loud bangs until then.