Re: Cor Bon 230g +P

CorBon makes great ammo. I wish I could carry their JHP in my CW9, but the wide mouths they use on their JHP make my Kahr jam. It's the ONLY brand of JHP that my Kahr has a problem with. :cry:
The Detroit Red Wings. It's not just a game; it's a religion!

If you wanna shoot nice ammo you just should buy some reloading gear instead of overpaying for pretty looking, slickly marketed and packaged "Self Defense" ammo. A Lee kit will pay for itself fairly quickly and give you another way to enjoy your hobby when you can't get to the range.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:If you wanna shoot nice ammo you just should buy some reloading gear instead of overpaying for pretty looking, slickly marketed and packaged "Self Defense" ammo. A Lee kit will pay for itself fairly quickly and give you another way to enjoy your hobby when you can't get to the range.
Good point. It's on the list, but I have not the time or money to think about it right now. I have just enough time to quickly satisfy my immediate addiction 20 bullets at a time. In the near future my friend, in the near future. Oh yeah, and plus I gotta order some Class "A"! Chimney pipe that is, for any lurkers out there.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Sonofagun wrote:
Mason wrote:If you wanna shoot nice ammo you just should buy some reloading gear instead of overpaying for pretty looking, slickly marketed and packaged "Self Defense" ammo. A Lee kit will pay for itself fairly quickly and give you another way to enjoy your hobby when you can't get to the range.
Good point. It's on the list, but I have not the time or money to think about it right now. I have just enough time to quickly satisfy my immediate addiction 20 bullets at a time. In the near future my friend, in the near future. Oh yeah, and plus I gotta order some Class "A"! Chimney pipe that is, for any lurkers out there.
Lowes has a pretty good selection of decent quality Canadian made woodstove installation supplies at prices that rival online, no shipping, BTW.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

+1
Shooting low velocity SWC tears the paper up good.
Keep the factory loads for SD practice and carry ammo, though.
" Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack." - Gen. Ferdinand Foch, 1st Battle Of The Marne ( 1914).
http://www.rudereds.blogspot.com

the comedian wrote:

+1
Shooting low velocity SWC tears the paper up good.
Keep the factory loads for SD practice and carry ammo, though.
Yes sir. I want the best shit I can get only for my carry. As soon as I can wrap my mind around the reload thing I'm on it like stupidity on Sarah Palin.

Are we keeping practice ammo separate from self-defense ammo in this discussion?

As I'm sure you've all heard by now, do NOT carry self- reloaded ammo for self-defense! That's a common rule of thumb. If you have to shoot someone in self-defense, the prosecution is going to try to make you look like a "Dirty Harry" type who loads his own super-charged killer ammo. Use only factory loaded ammo, like CorBon, for self-defense.

I've thought about re-loading, but my time is too important to me. You have to keep meticulous records on each piece of brass you reload to prevent a case rupture from overuse. Plus the time it takes to reload the stuff in the first place. I just buy factory reloads for practice. It's cheaper and it saves time.

Ayoob argues that "forensic respectability" is the main reason not to carry hand-loaded rounds for SD. Either way, don't do it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1

Van wrote:
Are we keeping practice ammo separate from self-defense ammo in this discussion?

As I'm sure you've all heard by now, do NOT carry self- reloaded ammo for self-defense! That's a common rule of thumb. If you have to shoot someone in self-defense, the prosecution is going to try to make you look like a "Dirty Harry" type who loads his own super-charged killer ammo. Use only factory loaded ammo, like CorBon, for self-defense.

I've thought about re-loading, but my time is too important to me. You have to keep meticulous records on each piece of brass you reload to prevent a case rupture from overuse. Plus the time it takes to reload the stuff in the first place. I just buy factory reloads for practice. It's cheaper and it saves time.

Ayoob argues that "forensic respectability" is the main reason not to carry hand-loaded rounds for SD. Either way, don't do it.

If I get into reloading it will be for fun, just like shooting, but i too have little time to spare cause i cant stop typing on this blog! I will never use reloads for carry/self defense, yours, mine or factory. I never got the impression we were talkin about reloads for carry and self defense. That's good info to know about Forensic Respectability as well as case rupture. I dont even like factory reloads actually, PMC is not much more and I think atleast consistent right? When I have more time -retirement, I'll start that project.

Sonofagun wrote:
Van wrote:

If I get into reloading it will be for fun, just like shooting, but i too have little time to spare cause i cant stop typing on this blog! I will never use reloads for carry/self defense, yours, mine or factory. I never got the impression we were talkin about reloads for carry and self defense. That's good info to know about Forensic Respectability as well as case rupture. I dont even like factory reloads actually, PMC is not much more and I think atleast consistent right? When I have more time -retirement, I'll start that project.
I shoot PMC all the time and have never had a problem with it. Same with Ultramax factory reloaded ammo. I've also never had a problem with Wolf, except for the fact that it's dirty.

All three brands are cheap and reliable.

Sonofagun wrote:Last ?. Should I install a heavier spring to prevent "over slide".
I doubt it. I think a heavier spring would be necessary only if you're planning on running +P ammo through the gun exclusively. A heavier spring would prevent the frame from having it's service life shortened in such a case. However, if you're planning on shooting standard pressure ammo for practice with only occasional +P use to test ammo reliability out of the gun, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sonofagun wrote:How true. I could get a heavier spring in which of course I would change it out when tripping range, easily done, but the only time I'd ever shoot the +P ammo is when, well, hopefully never.
Thanks again.
8-)

Sonofagun wrote:Hey Van, is that better than the "original" Winchester Black Talon with the black tip? I found some on Gunbroker for a pretty penny.
The Black Talon is renamed Winchester Ranger SXT, and theoretically it's only available to LEO's - but it's not illegal to own if you do happen to track it down. I bought a boatload of the +P, just in case I decide to go hog hunting with my G21!