Re: Looking for cheap 38 spc...what about this?

zagone wrote: Maybe I'm just spoiled by new ammo - please let me know if I need to adjust my expectations.

In the absence of such wisdom, I consider the East Carolina ammo a definite fail and thumbs down.

- Zagone
Using new ammo AND sighting in new sights is definitely a good path to instant frustration. I'd get your sights zeroed before you try anything else.

Snubbies aren't also know to the most accurate of handguns, but you should at least be on paper (what size was your target?) at 25ft.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
zagone wrote: Maybe I'm just spoiled by new ammo - please let me know if I need to adjust my expectations.

In the absence of such wisdom, I consider the East Carolina ammo a definite fail and thumbs down.

- Zagone
Using new ammo AND sighting in new sights is definitely a good path to instant frustration. I'd get your sights zeroed before you try anything else.

Snubbies aren't also know to the most accurate of handguns, but you should at least be on paper (what size was your target?) at 25ft.
Anyone who says snubbies aren't accurate hasn't seen Jerry Miculek shoot one. He is an amazing shot, but it wouldn't work if snubbies weren't accurate. I used to believe that they were inaccurate until I practiced and practiced. They are harder to shoot accurately until you get used to the trigger. I have personally seen amazing accuracy from older LEOs that used to use them on the job.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
zagone wrote:Snubbies aren't also know to the most accurate of handguns, but you should at least be on paper (what size was your target?) at 25ft.
Anyone who says snubbies aren't accurate hasn't seen Jerry Miculek shoot one. He is an amazing shot, but it wouldn't work if snubbies weren't accurate. I used to believe that they were inaccurate until I practiced and practiced. They are harder to shoot accurately until you get used to the trigger. I have personally seen amazing accuracy from older LEOs that used to use them on the job.
Can we agree that while the angular dispersion of the bullets leaving the bore of a snubbie, aka mechanical accuracy, may not be inherently worse than other handguns, due to the light weight, small grip and short sight radius virtually every shooter will achieve lower *effective* accuracy than they would with a larger handgun of otherwise similar quality?

And also that Jerry Miculek is a Terminator or a Borg sent here to intimidate us hoomins?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Yes, Miculek is super human and snubbies are hard to shoot accurately at distance for us mere mortals. However, with a lot of practice, they can be used effectively. If they weren't very accurate, a 200 yard shot would be just a lucky shot. It isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk

200 yard snub nose revolver shot- upside down, one handed, with pinky finger
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:Yes, Miculek is super human and snubbies are hard to shoot accurately at distance for us mere mortals. However, with a lot of practice, they can be used effectively. If they weren't very accurate, a 200 yard shot would be just a lucky shot. It isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk

200 yard snub nose revolver shot- upside down, one handed, with pinky finger
I've shot a lot of K-Frame revolvers and I'm utterly useless beyond 7 yards. Comparing any average shooter to Jerry M. is the equivalent of saying that because Sabine Schmitz can drive a sub-10-minute Nurburgring that anyone can, with enough practice.

LGC Texas - Vice President

I will need to start closer and work on just new ammo or just the new sight in the future.

As the new professionally gunsmith-installed sight blew off the gun after 50 rounds (!!!!!) it may be awhile before I get to do this properly. (But the sight issue is in the handgun hardware forum in another thread.)

Still thinking ammo that would not fit properly, jammed turning of chamber, and required two strikes of a heavy hammer to fire is junk -- even if accuracy testing was hampered by new sight.

This used pistol has proven a piece of trash, but I have had really amazingly bad luck with it too. I could have used a bit of luck with my first-time novice purchase here. That said, I know a lot more for the next time I buy.

-- Zagone

Most definitely NOT in the bullseye league... yet!

UPDATE: Looks like East Carolina Trading went out of business in the past year.

Several discussions on Calguns.com and sigtalk.com and elsewhere about their ammo being awful and taking 5 weeks to ship and whatnot. Several people would not test-fire it and canceled credit card transactions. I did fire it (see above) and results were a few dud rounds and mis-shaped rounds that would not fit in some revolver chambers. I occasionally shoot a bit of it if I'm done serious practice and want to fire off a few more for whatever reason. Junk.

I see recommendations above for several online retailers that seem to be selling inexpensive new ammo (thanks). Was ZERO ammo reload or new? Can not quite tell from their website.

What's GOOD reload 38 ammo?

Thanks,
Zagone

Most definitely NOT in the bullseye league... yet!