Re: Unintended consequences...

Now I feel like a stalker. Anyway...

Gosh, all the guns I would never have had the thrill of owning if I had to pay the rapacious ammomakers... 10mm, 44 Special, 44M, 45LC, 454, 45WM, 50AE.

Fear of the difficulty of wrangling necked cases has kept me away from quite a few guns. Maybe once I start loading 223 I'll go back and pick up a C96, a 44-40 SAA, and a 357 Griz kit for the Grizzly! Maybe rechamber a GP100 for 357 B&D!

Word of warning on that- you'll wind up with more die sets than makes any kind of sense. But yeah, it sure is nice to be able to look at damned near anything and not have to worry about finding ammo getting hosed on the price of it.

Pokute- just do it. Bottlenecked cartridges just require a few more minor steps. It isn't a hard step- I'll admit to crushing a few cases when I started doing them. (I also may have stuck a piece of brass in one of my early attempts at reloading for 223, but have NOT repeated that error). Really it's just adding lube and trimming to the process. Potentially primer pocket swaging if you get military crimped brass (most 223, although I managed to buy a lot of 9mm brass for cheap that was also crimped, and it pissed me off. Still find the damned things in my brass bucket occasionally)
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Word of warning on that- you'll wind up with more die sets than makes any kind of sense. But yeah, it sure is nice to be able to look at damned near anything and not have to worry about finding ammo getting hosed on the price of it.
Indeed. It's a great thing to be able to shoot as much 44 mag and 45 Colt as I want and knowing that I'm spending a few pennies on the dollar for the ammo.
Of course, reloading takes time, and not everybody has that.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

TinkerPearce wrote: Reloading has opened up a whole new world of stupid guns I don't need!
:laugh: This made my day. Yet another anecdote illustrating how reloading is truly false-economy.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi